ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've always had very mixed feelings about guys like that who charge to help out folks that are devastated. Seems like they are being taken advantage of. Yes, I understand that theres gas and mileage and all that, but cashing in on someone else's pain just doesn't seem Right to me. On the other hand, if that's the only option the poor person has....

A MUCH better answer is LostMyStuff which doesn't allow its members to accept any fee for the service or posting free ads on craigslist. I am of the opinion that theres enough good people in this hobby that no one should ever have to pay for our services.
I have found several items via LMS and the reaction when you find their (presumed) lost forever treasure is so powerful an emotion that it acts like a drug, making you want more. Until you have experienced it, you cant know what its like.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think a lot of detectorists are turned off that they now have to pay a 2 dollar yearly fee to lostmystuff to help someone out. And I know what you're gonna say, it's only 2 dollars, and I know that, but still making volunteers have to pay for the free service they provide is kinda silly in my opinion. cue the snarky remarks now :)

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think a lot of detectorists are turned off that they now have to pay a 2 dollar yearly fee to lostmystuff to help someone out. And I know what you're gonna say, it's only 2 dollars, and I know that, but still making volunteers have to pay for the free service they provide is kinda silly in my opinion. cue the snarky remarks now :)

No, I agree with you. When someone charges instead of relying on contributions, it changes to a Business. I understand he has costs, but its still a Business now. Not nearly as moneygrabbing as Ringfinders whose purpose from day1 was to make money for its owner. LMS looks to just be trying to break even.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm trying to help a guy find his wedding ring, from a post he made to Craigslist. Now I see that he's got a lost item report listed on LMS, but i haven't downloaded it since i already know the where abouts he lost it. I think that a lot of these listing will not be downloaded because of this new fee. I think people just dont want to deal with it.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
mwhite66Patrick Lucas Austin6/30/17 8:03am
http://lifehacker.com/who-to-call-if-youve-lost-your-wedding-ring-1796498235#
In the 1920s there were numerous summer resorts on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay catering to sweaty urbanites, offering them iced tea* and a dip in the (relatively) refreshing waters of the bay. Like all bathers they dropped copious amounts of jewelry and pocket change in the waist-deep water, seemingly lost forever among the muddy oyster beds of the Chesapeake.
Flash forward to the 1980s. The resorts are long gone, but two enterprising guys from Annapolis MD found maps showing where they once were. Armed with metal detectors and hip waders they scanned the seabed of the old swimming areas, and brought up so much stuff that for a number of years they made their living as professional treasure hunters and local folk heroes. True story.
*or something a bit stronger in those prohibition days.

That's a cool business model!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wait, they want to charge me to help someone out for free? :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread