Do you look at lawns and fields differently now?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since I have gotten more serious about metal detecting the last several years, I can't help but wonder what every strip of land holds. I can't hardly drive thru an older section of a town without checking the lawns out. I drive by a soccer field or baseball field and all I see is a place to detect, not to play ball. Even my wife will say something about a place as we travel. You know that some places have been hit pretty hard but still I wonder what they hold. I am always amazed at what people have lost and how valuable some of them are. You see a piece of dirt or lawn, I see possible hidden goodies.

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the time....or out walking with the wife and I start pulling coins off the walking path....lol. Never had those powers before!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have permanent detecto-vision. Even watching some of the travel shows on PBS I'm always like "I would KILL to detect there!" :laughing7:

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep - guilty of eyeballing areas and muttering under my breath "Beep!, I wanna Beep!"

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have this problem when I fished Bass tournaments. Cast every where.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure.
I try to envision what the view was from that hill before those buildings were built in the 1960's. I have a few parks that I hunt where some of the hills once commanded a view of the ocean, a river, or a lake. The view is now blocked by the construction of residential or office high-rise buildings. Hills are always good. Hills with a view of the water are excellent.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES, Once your affected, there really is no cure, not that I would even want one. It's what we do, it's who we are, Oh well........If we are not detecting, then we seem to always be "eyeballing", love it.

Last edited:

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seams like I'm always looking at old houses and fields and commenting to my wife that THAT or there would be a good place to dig and she just laughs. Even by myself I sometimes find myself saying it out loud that those would be great places. That's what keeps everyone in the dream of finding the perfect place to search..... until you find the next perfect spot. Lol To me that's part of the fun. HH all.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
[h=2]Do you look at lawns and fields differently now?[/h]I do!

And then I think to myself, ​sure glad I don't have to mow that!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yep every 1800's house I see I wonder if it is unhunted ground

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O yea...especially driving for work through old mining towns...drool...
Or, I want to troll my Bomber or Waterdog past that cove. Or maybe a Lazy Ike inside the cove.
I guess that comment by me kinda "Ages" me.:laughing7:
Marvin

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double Post
Marvin

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Or, I want to troll my Bomber or Waterdog past that cove. Or maybe a Lazy Ike inside the cove.
I guess that comment by me kinda "Ages" me.:laughing7:
Marvin

Waterdogs? We still use them here, just a little, ok a lot harder to find them. Best bait ever! the bombers? still have five or six of them if the grandkids haven't lost them. :headbang:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
When ever I go past a very old house or building, I am drooling about detecting there. It is sometimes painful, I can see the old silver or relics just inches below the soil. The funny thing is, I have one the oldest houses on my side of town, yet wont detect the lawn yet because it is too dry and brittle (going to try and hit it after the next rain storm). I haven't detected grass since 2013 (mainly stuck to woods, sometimes farm fields, and will probably give metal detecting a bad name if metal detect someone's beautiful lawn.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I have permanent detecto-vision. Even watching some of the travel shows on PBS I'm always like "I would KILL to detect there!" :laughing7:

Same, Anytime I see anything pre-1800, on a show, docomentary, photo, or even posted here. I always think, "Man! I would kill to detect there!". I was in a long conversation with my neighbor, who owned a house from the 1770's, belonging to an extremely famous person in the early 1800's (on the NRHP, and has a sign five miles down the road mentioning the place). The whole conversation all I was thinking was, "I would do anything to metal detect on the huge perfect field and lawn!"

Sent from my phone

BFR

Oct 7, 2014
Lower thumb knuckle Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seams like I'm always looking at old houses and fields and commenting to my wife that THAT or there would be a good place to dig and she just laughs. Even by myself I sometimes find myself saying it out loud that those would be great places. That's what keeps everyone in the dream of finding the perfect place to search..... until you find the next perfect spot. Lol To me that's part of the fun. HH all.

My wife has started tuning me out when I start talking about the history of some property we are driving by.

BFR

Wudnut

May 20, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only been metal detecting for a month but YES, i look at property much different and when see new construction i cringe at what could be unearthed and never noticed. Just like fishing the other spot always looks better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions