Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think an area has been cherry picked, get a little bit away from the stone walls and cellar holes. I've found a ton of great stuff 5 to 15 feet away from walls and cellar holes. Everyone hugs the walls when they detect, so there's not much left there. Detect parallel and away from walls and you will make some good finds.

Another good game plan is to detect openings in stone walls. Those areas had heavy traffic, so there's lots of good stuff there. I check at least 25 feet back from any wall opening, inside and out. Go slow and in a grid pattern, if possible.

Lastly, check out the bases of old trees. I make it a point to go completely around every old tree I spot in the woods. When I'm done doing that, I check the bases of the smaller trees and so on until I've checked around almost every decent size tree in that area. Hunters and hikers love to take a break and sit with their back to a tree, so that's why you find a lot of coins, pocket watches and other relics close to trees. Good luck and don't give up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread