RHESUS MONKEYS ON RAMPAGE AT SILVER SPRONGS, FLORIDA

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
A Family was chased by rhesus monkeys at the Silver Springs State Park.
Monkeys charge Estero family at Silver Springs State Park | WINK NEWS

While many Tarzan movies were filmed at Silver Springs, the original monkeys were brought here by Col Toohey, who ran the Jungle Cruise ride at the Springs. His large two story house was located across from Hwy 40, and locals called it "big pink" due to its color.
The rhesus monkeys have been know to travel from the Springs into neighborhoods, and are very aggressive when confronted, and have been known to jump into kayaks paddling on the Silver and Oklawaha Rivers looking for food.

PS: The CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON was also filmed at the Springs, but no reports of any of his attacks have been reported. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In the 1970's, a band of these monkeys walked down Silver Springs Blvd past SIX GUN TERRITORY as far as the Springs Theatre (both the attraction and theatre are no longer here) with cars dodging them.
They have been wandering loose around Ocala/Silver Springs since the 1960's that I am aware.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id rather deal with those monkeys than Florida's face eating zombies.

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't like monkeys, they bite HARD! Been 50 years since a spider monkey bit me, I'm not usually 1 to hold a grudge but I've not forgotten that one! It's a good thing one didn't get a hold of anyone, they can do a lot of damage...

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those folks were last seen down by a canal feeding alligators...

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So simple a monkey coud do it...

If we could only teach them to metal detect for peanuts! If they find something good, give em a banana! Maybe even feature them on the banner...

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I got to close to a monkey in India. He did a sudden snarl and all I could see were teeth. Lots of teeth.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If we could only teach them to metal detect for peanuts! If they find something good, give em a banana! Maybe even feature them on the banner...
That would be a good area to MD, as part of the Confederate treasury passed through Silver Springs by way of CSA Sec of State Judah P Benjamin, CSA Sec of War John C Breckinridge, and Jeff Davis's nephew, CSA Capt John Taylor Wood (CSS TALLAHASSEE) during their flight from the Union, May 1865.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions