Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would like some info on "Coin Popping"

I originally said that I'd like to find relics with my ACE 250, but now that I've found a Merc. and my first Wheatie, I finally figured out what all of the fuss is about when it comes to coinhunting. My only problem is that I've learned to retrieve items by pinpointing and then getting on my knees and cutting a square plug, flipping back the grass and digging. I've also become pretty dependent on using a probe. I understand that there's an easier way to retrieve coins using a screwdriver. My question is how the heck do you locate a coin in the ground with a screwdriver? How do you know it's a coin and not a rock? How do you not scratch the coin? In theory, this sounds like a great timesaver, but I've tried it and just can't seem to accomplish anything except making a mess of the grass.

Can I get some advice from the experts ???

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Re: Would like some info on "Coin Popping"

If you have the sharp point removed on the screwdriver it will leave no marks (smooth edges)
you will with time get a feeling for what's a rock and a coin.
I still prefer the plugs though, I think that's easier.

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain

Practice, practice, and more practice. I can tell a coin from a rock everytime, and I can get a quarter at 4 or 5 inches out much faster than you can by cutting a plug. I have dug over 20,000 coins in my career so I have had an incredible amount of practice. Good pinpointing is the other key that helps, especially in rocky areas. I have a screwdriver that is about 7 inches long and I started with a plain head screwdriver and filed and smoothed the edges. Anything over 6 inches deep I still have to plug. When I have the coin pinpointed, I probe with the screwdriver and locate it. I insert the screwdriver in just to the side of the coin closest to me with the flat edge toward the coin. I then use the screwdriver to push the coin toward the surface, and then push the screwdrier the other way to create a slit in the ground. I have put the coin within reach of my finger in the first move so I stick my finger in the slit and retrieve the coin. I know from probing if it is a coin, or rock, or glass, or shredded can, so I don't cut myself. You have to careful at first, shredded cans can cut you really bad. This method has gotten me onto some of the best manicured lawns, with permission to return. In our dry climate plugs will die if not done right, and even when done right they sometimes die. Hope this helps and good luck...Ryan

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most of the time I cut plugs, but the main advantage taking your probing technique to a high level of proficiency is the advantage Ryan gave above: Manicured Lawns, With Permission to Return! This method, if done right, leaves little trace. If you don't get proficient at it though, you will find several rocks and then if you still decide to dig a plug, the probing will have destroyed the integrity of the plug and you'll have an even bigger mess. You also have to be SUPER careful not to scratch a coin. You have to treat every probe as if you expect silver to be below.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Treasure Tom

Jun 22, 2007

Hi!

I have tried coin popping several times and have been fairly successful if the coins are not deep. I have tried a blunt screwdriver but also made a probe from an old, solid fibreglass fishing rod cut about 8 inches long, sharpened at the tip, and the blunt end glued to a wood handle. The fibreglass probe does not seem to scratch coins and seems to sharpen itself the more it is used. It is probably better to cut a plug if you are looking for old or deep coins.

As Ryan mentioned, pinpointing is the key. I can usually tell if it is a coin when the probe suddenly stops as it is pushed into the ground. It is like the war movies when they use a bayonet to find land mines, you can feel when you hit something. Wet ground makes it easy to use a probe and it does not take very long to pop out a coin.

Good luck! :D

Tom

R

robert roy

I've used a scwerdriver but be careful. I have accidently scratched a few coins.
RR

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I must be pretty dense. There was a break in the rain on Saturday and so I went to the backyard of an abandoned house that I have permission to hunt. Thought I'd start where the metal clothes line supports were. I got a bunch of really strong signals. At first I dug the traditional way and found a '38 wheatie. It looked as if the sky was about to open up AGAIN, so I thought I'd try the new Popping technique to save me some time. Got another strong signal, pinpointed and stuck my screwdriver in the ground right where the signal was strongest...nothing..moved over a centimeter and tried again..nothing. It started to drizzle..so, I finally gave up and dug up a second wheatie the old-fashioned way. Guess I'll give this method another try when I have a little more time.

B

boojagirl

artemis moon said:
I must be pretty dense. There was a break in the rain on Saturday and so I went to the backyard of an abandoned house that I have permission to hunt. Thought I'd start where the metal clothes line supports were. I got a bunch of really strong signals. At first I dug the traditional way and found a '38 wheatie. It looked as if the sky was about to open up AGAIN, so I thought I'd try the new Popping technique to save me some time. Got another strong signal, pinpointed and stuck my screwdriver in the ground right where the signal was strongest...nothing..moved over a centimeter and tried again..nothing. It started to drizzle..so, I finally gave up and dug up a second wheatie the old-fashioned way. Guess I'll give this method another try when I have a little more time.
I am like you I have to dig a plug, I am not good a pin pointing yet and I usualy end up diging a few inches away from where the thing is.

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I am like you I have to dig a plug, I am not good a pin pointing yet and I usualy end up diging a few inches away from where the thing is.
[/quote]

Pinpointing takes practice..I finally figured it out after two months of trying. Keep going and it will become second nature eventually

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

I've tried coin popping on a few occasions with limited success. Like you I find it difficult to locate the object with the probe and have popped out many rocks. For now I'm sticking to signals that are "near surface" ones. I have a bullseye II pinpointer and when I use that and the coins are within its range I have no problem. My M6 does not pinpoint very well (at least with my limited experience). The deeper items I have to cut a plug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread