I believe we need a gun thread. Carrying while detecting? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree1434Likes

Thread: I believe we need a gun thread. Carrying while detecting?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    1173 times
    Phased plasma rifle, in the 40 watt range.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
    7975 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Samuel View Post
    The police are very unhappy to see people carry guns on beaches and on parks. Good hunting and good luck.
    I say ..... hmm.... no politics, meaning I must stop here. Sorry. ╦╦
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalms 144 1-2

us
    Jan 2016
    SwMissouri
    Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
    261 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I always pack. You never know unfortunately.

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
    7975 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by maccounty View Post
    I always pack. You never know unfortunately.
    Not everyone has the attitude to carry (concealed?). But, if someone does, they must ALWAYS carry. It's one way or the other. No in between. I've gone to many cop get-togethers and know 70/80 % of the other officers were carrying. It was expected. If I went to a non-cop party and checked my coat, I would ask the host for a safe place to put my sidearm and ammo (separate). Many would ask, is that loaded? Silly question. My son could hit a target at 25 yards with my .44 mag pistol at age four. Maybe not the black, but always busted paper. When he was old enough for school, his friend's would come over. If they knew I was a cop, they might ask to see my gun. He always answered, "No, it's not a toy". That was my boy! ╦╦
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalms 144 1-2

Charter Member

Nov 2013
    1941 times
    In the woods the judge is the perfect choice for me. The 410. Does a good job on snake and the 45Lc will take care of anything else.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    12567 times
    Metal Detecting
    The police are very unhappy to see people carry guns on beaches and on parks. Good hunting and good luck.
    In NY we are obligated to carry concealed. We also have a 10 round magazine limit. So I carry a M&P 9 Shield with MagGuts springs & followers to give me a relatively compact 10 rounds of 9mm and a DeSantis pocket sheath magazine carrier for an additional 10 rounds in my hip pocket.

The Chief of Police at the City I worked for and the County Sheriff BOTH recommended I carry, so I went for my unrestricted carry permit. That Chief was the first man in the door at the American Civic Association shooting in 2009.

I have been pulled over for speeding and, in the course of discussion I mentioned I was carrying with a permit (with both hands on the wheel) and the officer handed back my license and registration and said "Have a nice evening". Did not even ask to see my permit.

But then I have an honest face. ;-)
    TerryC, sprailroad, T.C. and 2 others like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1329 times
    Metal Detecting
    I carry a Taurus PT709 slim and a permit. It's almost identical in design to a single stack glock except it has a real safety in addition to trigger "safety".

One thing to remember while detecting though: Trespassing while detecting (accidentally) is a minor offense. Trespassing with a WEAPON can be a big deal. Be VERY careful where you detect while carrying. If in doubt, leave it in the car and carry fighting knife with a blade of 4" or less so it is considered only a pocket knife. I carry my pocket knife in case I am "entangled" in fishing line, string, etc.

I never carry if I am land hunting on a property which is questionable. Parks, sure, beach sometimes (Friday and Sat night only). Empty lots in the city, no.
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; Jul 14, 2017 at 09:45 PM.
    TerryC and dsdigger like this.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1329 times
    Metal Detecting
    Not true, at least here in Sunny Florida. Our great officers have no problem with good people who carry.

Florida Sheriff: 'Get a concealed firearms license and carry it'
    http://wfla.com/2017/06/10/video-bre...case-of-attack
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; Jul 14, 2017 at 09:51 PM.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

Charter Member
    um
    Apr 2017
    Orygunistan
    Garret AT Pro Born 4/17.. Fisher CZ3d W/Nasa Tom tune! Whites V3i.... WOW!!😎
    119 times
    Metal Detecting
    Loose lips sink ships.

STFU about what you carry or dont carry. No body knows what or if.... I carry more than a hardboiled egg in my lunch bag.
    TerryC, trdking, T.C. and 3 others like this.
    My hypocrisy has limits.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    3394 times
    The police are not happy when they observe people with guns in parks and beaches. Not a good idea.

us
    Kevin

Feb 2017
    FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
    Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
    7354 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flgliderpilot View Post
    Not true, at least here in Sunny Florida. Our great officers have no problem with good people who carry.

Florida Sheriff: 'Get a concealed firearms license and carry it'
    VIDEO: Brevard sheriff urges residents to carry guns in case of attack | WFLA.com
    I think the "good" police from old school training prefer the assistance of concerned citizens in extreme circumstances. If lives are at risk and there is NO TIME to wait for the police ONE trained citizen with a legal weapon can end a very bad situation from becoming another bloodbath massacre. Just makes common sense to me. I don't think any sane human could think otherwise. Do today's police force prefer we always wait on them as the body counts rise? Sometimes I think I am in the Twilight Zone with today's version of "logic & reason". I for one choose with extreme intent NOT to become a victim.
    Last edited by Kurios1; Jul 15, 2017 at 12:13 AM.
    TerryC, T.C., RGINN and 2 others like this.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

us
    Kevin

Feb 2017
    FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
    Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
    7354 times
    The police are not happy when they observe people with guns in parks and beaches. Not a good idea.
    I reckon should the lone wacko with multiple weapons and 100's of rounds go off in another public place randomly murdering folks the police might have another opinion should ONE concerned citizen with a legal weapon put that asshat in their grave.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    7975 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Police Departments have two views, the official and the troops'. While on the job, 98 % of the officers will only give you the official view. Once you get to know them, you will get the "other" view. You figure it out. ╦╦
    Last edited by TerryC; Jul 15, 2017 at 01:40 AM.

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    7975 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    In NY we are obligated to carry concealed. We also have a 10 round magazine limit. So I carry a M&P 9 Shield with MagGuts springs & followers to give me a relatively compact 10 rounds of 9mm and a DeSantis pocket sheath magazine carrier for an additional 10 rounds in my hip pocket.

The Chief of Police at the City I worked for and the County Sheriff BOTH recommended I carry, so I went for my unrestricted carry permit. That Chief was the first man in the door at the American Civic Association shooting in 2009.

I have been pulled over for speeding and, in the course of discussion I mentioned I was carrying with a permit (with both hands on the wheel) and the officer handed back my license and registration and said "Have a nice evening". Did not even ask to see my permit.

But then I have an honest face. ;-)
    Are you a badge, Charlie? In Milwaukee, we were required to carry off duty until 1976. Our contract that year made it optional. I continued to carry concealed because it became as natural as putting my pants on to leave the house. It is also the same year females were walking the beat. A certain female cop (name not needed) was assigned to protect a female citizen from a fellow who said he was coming over to rape her. He let himself in with his own key (size 12 wide). J shot him in the stomach before words were exchanged. (good for her) He was unarmed. If one of us guys did that, we would be in prison. ╦╦
    trdking, T.C. and dsdigger like this.

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    7975 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurios1 View Post
    I reckon should the lone wacko with multiple weapons and 100's of rounds go off in another public place randomly murdering folks the police might have another opinion should ONE concerned citizen with a legal weapon put that asshat in their grave.
    Don't be too sure of that, Kurios. The concerned citizen, in a public place, will most probably only have a handgun. NO MATCH for a bad guy with a rifle and lots of ammo. Citizen will most likely die. Or, may kill or injure someone in the backround. The citizen goes to jail too. IF CLOSE ENOUGH and unable to make space between himself and the bad guys, citizen may shoot. More than likely the citizen is not proficient enough to take a shot at more than ten yards. Most will still have many of the rounds that he bought with the gun, having little or no range time at all! MUCH must be considered when taking a human life. If he kills the bad guy, he's a hero. If not, he probably won't be remembered past his own funeral. These are things the cops are thinking about. Please don't take it personal. I am not directing this at you. I'm just spouting. ╦╦
    RustyGold, Kurios1, T.C. and 2 others like this.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links