I believe we need a gun thread. Carrying while detecting?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The police are very unhappy to see people carry guns on beaches and on parks. Good hunting and good luck.

In NY we are obligated to carry concealed. We also have a 10 round magazine limit. So I carry a M&P 9 Shield with MagGuts springs & followers to give me a relatively compact 10 rounds of 9mm and a DeSantis pocket sheath magazine carrier for an additional 10 rounds in my hip pocket.

The Chief of Police at the City I worked for and the County Sheriff BOTH recommended I carry, so I went for my unrestricted carry permit. That Chief was the first man in the door at the American Civic Association shooting in 2009.

I have been pulled over for speeding and, in the course of discussion I mentioned I was carrying with a permit (with both hands on the wheel) and the officer handed back my license and registration and said "Have a nice evening". Did not even ask to see my permit.

But then I have an honest face. ;-)

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry a Taurus PT709 slim and a permit. It's almost identical in design to a single stack glock except it has a real safety in addition to trigger "safety".

One thing to remember while detecting though: Trespassing while detecting (accidentally) is a minor offense. Trespassing with a WEAPON can be a big deal. Be VERY careful where you detect while carrying. If in doubt, leave it in the car and carry fighting knife with a blade of 4" or less so it is considered only a pocket knife. I carry my pocket knife in case I am "entangled" in fishing line, string, etc.

I never carry if I am land hunting on a property which is questionable. Parks, sure, beach sometimes (Friday and Sat night only). Empty lots in the city, no.

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

SteveOrygun

Apr 15, 2017
Orygunistan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Born 4/17..
Fisher CZ3d W/Nasa Tom tune!
Whites V3i.... WOW!!😎
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loose lips sink ships.

STFU about what you carry or dont carry. No body knows what or if.... I carry more than a hardboiled egg in my lunch bag.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The police are not happy when they observe people with guns in parks and beaches. Not a good idea.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not true, at least here in Sunny Florida. Our great officers have no problem with good people who carry.

Florida Sheriff: 'Get a concealed firearms license and carry it'
VIDEO: Brevard sheriff urges residents to carry guns in case of attack | WFLA.com

I think the "good" police from old school training prefer the assistance of concerned citizens in extreme circumstances. If lives are at risk and there is NO TIME to wait for the police ONE trained citizen with a legal weapon can end a very bad situation from becoming another bloodbath massacre. Just makes common sense to me. I don't think any sane human could think otherwise. Do today's police force prefer we always wait on them as the body counts rise? Sometimes I think I am in the Twilight Zone with today's version of "logic & reason". I for one choose with extreme intent NOT to become a victim.

Last edited:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The police are not happy when they observe people with guns in parks and beaches. Not a good idea.

I reckon should the lone wacko with multiple weapons and 100's of rounds go off in another public place randomly murdering folks the police might have another opinion should ONE concerned citizen with a legal weapon put that asshat in their grave.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Police Departments have two views, the official and the troops'. While on the job, 98 % of the officers will only give you the official view. Once you get to know them, you will get the "other" view. You figure it out. ╦╦Ç

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In NY we are obligated to carry concealed. We also have a 10 round magazine limit. So I carry a M&P 9 Shield with MagGuts springs & followers to give me a relatively compact 10 rounds of 9mm and a DeSantis pocket sheath magazine carrier for an additional 10 rounds in my hip pocket.

The Chief of Police at the City I worked for and the County Sheriff BOTH recommended I carry, so I went for my unrestricted carry permit. That Chief was the first man in the door at the American Civic Association shooting in 2009.

I have been pulled over for speeding and, in the course of discussion I mentioned I was carrying with a permit (with both hands on the wheel) and the officer handed back my license and registration and said "Have a nice evening". Did not even ask to see my permit.

But then I have an honest face. ;-)
Are you a badge, Charlie? In Milwaukee, we were required to carry off duty until 1976. Our contract that year made it optional. I continued to carry concealed because it became as natural as putting my pants on to leave the house. It is also the same year females were walking the beat. A certain female cop (name not needed) was assigned to protect a female citizen from a fellow who said he was coming over to rape her. He let himself in with his own key (size 12 wide). J shot him in the stomach before words were exchanged. (good for her) He was unarmed. If one of us guys did that, we would be in prison. ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I reckon should the lone wacko with multiple weapons and 100's of rounds go off in another public place randomly murdering folks the police might have another opinion should ONE concerned citizen with a legal weapon put that asshat in their grave.
Don't be too sure of that, Kurios. The concerned citizen, in a public place, will most probably only have a handgun. NO MATCH for a bad guy with a rifle and lots of ammo. Citizen will most likely die. Or, may kill or injure someone in the backround. The citizen goes to jail too. IF CLOSE ENOUGH and unable to make space between himself and the bad guys, citizen may shoot. More than likely the citizen is not proficient enough to take a shot at more than ten yards. Most will still have many of the rounds that he bought with the gun, having little or no range time at all! MUCH must be considered when taking a human life. If he kills the bad guy, he's a hero. If not, he probably won't be remembered past his own funeral. These are things the cops are thinking about. Please don't take it personal. I am not directing this at you. I'm just spouting. ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW, do you have the book Behold a Pale Horse? I'm not a Cooper fan, just curious. ╦╦Ç

Pepper06

May 9, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've got a couple of old Winchester rifles that I love to shoot. One is a model 1873 44-40 that was made in 1883. Last fall I took it deer hunting and shot a nice 8 pointer. This year I plan to use my Winchester model 1892 in 38-40, it was made in 1893. Recently I was doing some target practice with it, and just for giggles I wanted to see if I could cut a playing card in half because it is the same model gun that Annie Oakly used. So I stepped back 15 yards and on the third shot the top half of the card flew off. So feeling pretty cocky I put the gun over my shoulder and used a mirror to sight with. It took me a few more shots, but on the 6th try, I cut another card in half.

SCUBA-WIZE

Apr 19, 2017
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab,
Excalibur II
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
To be honest, unless I am out on a boat working a lease my gun will stay home. There is nothing worth having to use it for beach hunting in my book... if someone wants the small finds from the beach they can have it! It not worth taking a life over. I have my CWP here in Florida.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To be honest, unless I am out on a boat working a lease my gun will stay home. There is nothing worth having to use it for beach hunting in my book... if someone wants the small finds from the beach they can have it! It not worth taking a life over. I have my CWP here in Florida.

You can still give your stuff away under threat while retaining your handgun to ensure your personal safety.

Sometimes people get seriously injured even after they submit to the felon. But if you value his health/life over your own, that's your choice.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry a Taurus PT709 slim and a permit. It's almost identical in design to a single stack glock except it has a real safety in addition to trigger "safety".

One thing to remember while detecting though: Trespassing while detecting (accidentally) is a minor offense. Trespassing with a WEAPON can be a big deal. Be VERY careful where you detect while carrying. If in doubt, leave it in the car and carry fighting knife with a blade of 4" or less so it is considered only a pocket knife. I carry my pocket knife in case I am "entangled" in fishing line, string, etc.

I never carry if I am land hunting on a property which is questionable. Parks, sure, beach sometimes (Friday and Sat night only). Empty lots in the city, no.

Please understand that I am not attacking you in any way....the way you state your case is good enough for me, and I believe for most officers in the free states.

Under the law, carrying a weapon is what matters. If you are charged, what weapon that you used is irrelevant. Pistol = Knife = whatever else you "carry as a weapon". Granted, it will sway people when you get to the courtroom, but in the eyes of the law, a knife is a deadly weapon. And you can always use the defense that the knife was being carried not as a weapon but for the purpose of xxxxx, but that puts the burden of proof onto you.

(you don't have to convince me that your knife is for plug cutting, I'm fine with that; you will have to convince the judge/jury)

disclaimer: laws certainly vary from state to state, but the definition of a knife as a deadly weapon remains. heck, in some states a 2" blade is considered to be enough (and rightfully so- I have seen a vid of an officer getting an artery cut with a 1.5" blade folder)

Maybe this is just a kneejerk reaction on my part. I always cringe when I see people advocate carrying a blade instead of a firearm for self defense. Certainly everyone's situation is unique, but I believe one should be as prepared as possible to meet whatever life throws at them. And in a deadly force encounter, if you aren't Bruce Lee level, gun>>>>>>>>>>>>knife.

52f7ad7d0eb16.jpeg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned a long time ago "never take a knife to a gun fight".

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I feel I need to be armed to detect a site, then I am in the wrong neck of the woods. To each their own.

Hey Loco - Not trying to attack you here, just want you to consider this:

Anyone who's been attacked by another human or animal didn't go to that area thinking "Well this is where I can most likely be attacked"

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the woods the judge is the perfect choice for me. The 410. Does a good job on snake and the 45Lc will take care of anything else.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
.410 slug and Disc and Ball are pretty fun and effective as well!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to disagree. I have 2 uncles, a cousin and a son who are all PD and 1 FBI agent Uncle. They are not looking for or are grateful for assistance from civilians who intervene. For reasons that Terry C has brought up. Most people that carry are uneducated with their weapon. But as far as being "not Happy" seeing a person who carries anywhere is not true. PD as a rule Respects your RIGHT to carry. Now seeing asshats who are carrying might make them more aware or seeing some guy at the beach strapped bouncing around playing volleyball might get their attention alerted (and might earn the person a conversation on gun safety) I don't think a responsible person carrying makes them frown at all.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please understand that I am not attacking you in any way....the way you state your case is good enough for me, and I believe for most officers in the free states.

Under the law, carrying a weapon is what matters. If you are charged, what weapon that you used is irrelevant. Pistol = Knife = whatever else you "carry as a weapon". Granted, it will sway people when you get to the courtroom, but in the eyes of the law, a knife is a deadly weapon. And you can always use the defense that the knife was being carried not as a weapon but for the purpose of xxxxx, but that puts the burden of proof onto you.

(you don't have to convince me that your knife is for plug cutting, I'm fine with that; you will have to convince the judge/jury)

disclaimer: laws certainly vary from state to state, but the definition of a knife as a deadly weapon remains. heck, in some states a 2" blade is considered to be enough (and rightfully so- I have seen a vid of an officer getting an artery cut with a 1.5" blade folder)

Maybe this is just a kneejerk reaction on my part. I always cringe when I see people advocate carrying a blade instead of a firearm for self defense. Certainly everyone's situation is unique, but I believe one should be as prepared as possible to meet whatever life throws at them. And in a deadly force encounter, if you aren't Bruce Lee level, gun>>>>>>>>>>>>knife.

View attachment 1472590

I love that scene. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions