I believe we need a gun thread. Carrying while detecting?

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the woods the judge is the perfect choice for me. The 410. Does a good job on snake and the 45Lc will take care of anything else.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yup, I've got the Taurus Public Defender....45/410. First two rounds are 45LC, next one is 00, next one is #4 and the last one has a $5 bill for my burial fee....haha!:laughing7:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ALF, you know that they originally had an intricate long whip v sword fight scene but Harrison Ford got a case of good poisoning (in afrika of all places!) the night before so they went with what you see.
One of my favs too.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I've got the Taurus Public Defender....45/410. First two rounds are 45LC, next one is 00, next one is #4 and the last one has a $5 bill for my burial fee....haha!:laughing7:
Very Funny But everyone take notice. Carrying a wheel gun with the chamber empty on the firing pin is the very smartest thing you can do! I do not care about the safety of modern wheel guns and that they say they will not go off if dropped. A hammer slip can still get the wrong person dead. I prefer the Smith Governor. I will take the 2 1/2 inch shell to get the extra round. 5 with one empty. Law enforcement is required to carry all 6 if any department is still using wheel guns. They are also required to carry Piped on an automatic, which is my only dislike about a Glock with only a trigger safety. How can you call it a safety? More accidental discharges on Glock holstering or drawing than Anything else I know of. Smart man in my book TC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love that scene. :thumbsup:

The ONLY thing in this scene that makes it Hollywood is the people behind the swordman are NOT diving for cover. Note: The FBI has proven that a man with a knife must not be allowed to get closer than 7 yards to you. You are now in mortal danger. If he shows a knife and refuses to drop it with your order and he continues to advance, you must, without hesitation, STOP him with any means at your disposal. As mentioned above, the situation has nothing to do with the court trial. Your presentation in court is EVERYTHING. ╦╦Ç

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In California We have had more than one Dumbkoff aim a toy gun at an officer. I gets them dead very fast. A knife at least gets you a few warnings before you get dead. But still dead if you do not comply. I guess the point here is Stopping your threat with the least possible physical contact, or none at all. This is why in most states we (the law abiding) have a right to carry. To make sure that when confronted by non law-abiding we have the ability to stop the threat with the least possible physical contact. This is why, if you carry, you should also have legal defense insurance so you can be assured of the "Presentation" in court. It is very expensive defending your rights when done properly. Most of us can't afford to defend ourselves in this situation and I don't care how much money you have, no one wants to drop 300K on a defense of your rights!

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an experience recently. Unexpected, hiking with just water bottles....actually a case of mistaken fisher backpack. I have two backpacks . Anyway, have always checked I have the correct backpack after that!

chub

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've carried concealed for so long that I forget I have it, and have been known to be deep inside the VA Hospital and realized, "Oh ***t," and had to beat feet out of there and put it in the car. Years ago, my wife and I went to the grocery store, and when we were leaving, a female city police officer arrived. I have no idea what was up, but she confronted a bunch of guys, who surrounded her, with one continuing to sidle closer, looking to me like he was trying to get her firearm. She kept moving and turning away, so I stopped the car about 20 feet away, window down. Told my wife get ready to get down, I had a model 1911 locked and cocked, never said anything, just watching, until her back up arrived. Didn't have to get involved, but I was going to join the party if it got rough, while she was alone. In all the years that I have packed, that's as close as I've come to using a gun on a person, and none of them even knew I was there.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here, I also carry the Taurus PD as one of my 2 primary carry weapons, Hornady critical defense shells (410 slug with 2 35 cal balls) are 1 and 2, followed by three .45 hollow point shells. My other carry is the Springfield XDs.45 with 180 gr hollow points..

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Modern quality revolvers do NOT need to have an empty chamber to be carried safely. You can use one to hammer concrete and it wont transfer the energy to the primer thru the hammer.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you a badge, Charlie? In Milwaukee, we were required to carry off duty until 1976. Our contract that year made it optional. I continued to carry concealed because it became as natural as putting my pants on to leave the house.

No. But I signed the paychecks for 180 of them. ;-)

I used to be a city comptroller. But I ALWAYS took care of my police and fire folk. Give them the equipment, give them the training, give them the support.

I carry a pistol because a cop is too heavy.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never felt the need to hide a gun on my person to get an advantage over someone. I sure as heck would never carry a gun metal detecting. I get harassed enough now without adding that to the mix.

Let's face it, no one wants to see someone at a school, baseball field or the beach with a gun strapped to their hip. Too many nut cases shooting up public areas lately for anyone to be comfortable around someone carrying in those places.

Just the way I see it...

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Modern quality revolvers do NOT need to have an empty chamber to be carried safely. You can use one to hammer concrete and it wont transfer the energy to the primer thru the hammer.
I agree, but it is a force of habit. I always load the wheel guns the same way. I have single action wheelers that require an empty on the pin. I air to caution and always drop one. Thats me. You can carry how ever you want. It IS still a semi free country :)

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've carried concealed for so long that I forget I have it, and have been known to be deep inside the VA Hospital and realized, "Oh ***t," and had to beat feet out of there and put it in the car. Years ago, my wife and I went to the grocery store, and when we were leaving, a female city police officer arrived. I have no idea what was up, but she confronted a bunch of guys, who surrounded her, with one continuing to sidle closer, looking to me like he was trying to get her firearm. She kept moving and turning away, so I stopped the car about 20 feet away, window down. Told my wife get ready to get down, I had a model 1911 locked and cocked, never said anything, just watching, until her back up arrived. Didn't have to get involved, but I was going to join the party if it got rough, while she was alone. In all the years that I have packed, that's as close as I've come to using a gun on a person, and none of them even knew I was there.

Had a chrome (nickle ?) finish 1911 with the pearl handle.Not that I really liked that combo as a finish - it was just available. It always seemed quite heavy, when the mag was full anyway... using and wearing...but it may of just been my lack of experience with a variety of handguns at the time.Super reliable though and stood the test of time. In my opinion theres something timeless about the styling. Probably one of the more iconic pistols.

chub

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bring my son with me. :skullflag:

Attachments

• IMG_3225.jpg
    IMG_3225.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worst pistol we ever owned was a little .25 I cant remember if it was a browning or a beretta but In my big fat hand the slide cut me on the fleshy part between thumb and forefinger. Each to their own, but that was not a nice memory.

chub

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question for those of you who carry concealed while detecting: Is an IWB holster comfortable enough while bending, digging, etc., or is an OWB a better choice?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never felt the need to hide a gun on my person to get an advantage over someone. I sure as heck would never carry a gun metal detecting. I get harassed enough now without adding that to the mix.

Let's face it, no one wants to see someone at a school, baseball field or the beach with a gun strapped to their hip. Too many nut cases shooting up public areas lately for anyone to be comfortable around someone carrying in those places.

Just the way I see it...

"Too many nut cases shooting up public areas." BINGO! Real good reason to wear mine. Also, where have you ever seen anyone at a school with a gun strapped on.... except a police officer? Never happen. Judy's Mormon son is down from Utah for a few days. He is a 5th grade teacher. He has a CCW permit and is looking for the right pistol to wear concealed while in class. Utah, Mormon, teacher.... you ever see a better message that it is time to carry? ╦╦Ç

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Too many nut cases shooting up public areas." BINGO! Real good reason to wear mine. Also, where have you ever seen anyone at a school with a gun strapped on.... except a police officer? Never happen. Judy's Mormon son is down from Utah for a few days. He is a 5th grade teacher. He has a CCW permit and is looking for the right pistol to wear concealed while in class. Utah, Mormon, teacher.... you ever see a better message that it is time to carry? ╦╦Ç
I read over that and figured some one else would jump on that grenade. Schools, Banks, Fed Buildings and Bars have always ben no no's No? Spending most of my life in the second Biggest UBER ban state I really have never thought about the other ban spots around the other states. Anyone care to enlighten me on where you usually can't carry in a pro state?
my only real other experience with People carrying when I was out of state was with my cousin and he is a County Sheriff so he carried Everywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread