I believe we need a gun thread. Carrying while detecting?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question for those of you who carry concealed while detecting: Is an IWB holster comfortable enough while bending, digging, etc., or is an OWB a better choice?
Your question, Wilbur, is absolutely a personal preference. Go to a full service gun shop and try them out. It has been my observation that those with bigger belly-bulge tend to favor them outside. The thinner person favors inside. Do lots of looking around before purchase. Buy the BEST holster you can afford. Safariland, De Santis, Galco. You are more likely to carry if the holster is more comfortable. I also have a very cheap Uncle Mike's. I cut the bottom tip off to carry my full-size Sig (concealed). By cutting the tip off, the barrel is not sitting in collecting GUNK, causing rust to form more easily. I cut the top surfaces off so I can wear the gun lower. And I cut the areas around the trigger guard off to take up the extra material. Because the area around the trigger guard was cut off, I had to sew that portion with heavy sail thread. A COMPLETE make-over. This soft holster is a good run-down-to-the-store rig. ╦╦Ç

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read over that and figured some one else would jump on that grenade. Schools, Banks, Fed Buildings and Bars have always ben no no's No? Spending most of my life in the second Biggest UBER ban state I really have never thought about the other ban spots around the other states. Anyone care to enlighten me on where you usually can't carry in a pro state?
my only real other experience with People carrying when I was out of state was with my cousin and he is a County Sheriff so he carried Everywhere.
VERY good question. This is the easiest and shortest way to answer. WHEREVER THERE IS A SIGN PROHIBITING IT. Virtually every state has adopted laws requiring signage to help everyone figure that question out. Bars in AZ allow open carry UNLESS the owner hangs a sign prohibiting in his place. WY was allowing open carry all the way back in the seventies for bars. I haven't been out there hunting in many years. I don't know if it has been changed. ╦╦Ç

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never felt the need to hide a gun on my person to get an advantage over someone. I sure as heck would never carry a gun metal detecting. I get harassed enough now without adding that to the mix.

Let's face it, no one wants to see someone at a school, baseball field or the beach with a gun strapped to their hip. Too many nut cases shooting up public areas lately for anyone to be comfortable around someone carrying in those places.

Just the way I see it...

....and that's your right as an American citizen.....same as mine!!:thumbsup:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bring my son with me. :skullflag:
Oh my, Terry! Such an aggressive, intimidating, ultra rightwing piece of equipment. Where can I get one? ╦╦Ç

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone raffled one off here in my town. I think it was $100 a ticket with just a certain number sold....they went fast too!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never felt the need to hide a gun on my person to get an advantage over someone. I sure as heck would never carry a gun metal detecting. I get harassed enough now without adding that to the mix.

Let's face it, no one wants to see someone at a school, baseball field or the beach with a gun strapped to their hip. Too many nut cases shooting up public areas lately for anyone to be comfortable around someone carrying in those places.

Just the way I see it...
I must back up some, Tim. I am not trouncing on your right to your opinion. My response to your post was only meant to show your statement is not consistent with reality. Take care, Terry.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and that's your right as an American citizen.....same as mine!!

Your right to carry shouldn't make people uncomfortable. No need to be hauling a gun around schools, beaches, ball fields and so on. The places most people metal detect are public areas where everyone is just trying to have some fun. If you feel so threatened and intimidated at these places that you need to carry a weapon, maybe you should avoid them and detect in the woods or on private property.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your right to carry shouldn't make people uncomfortable. No need to be hauling a gun around schools, beaches, ball fields and so on. The places most people metal detect are public areas where everyone is just trying to have some fun. If you feel so threatened and intimidated at these places that you need to carry a weapon, maybe you should avoid them and detect in the woods or on private property.

So my rights end when someone's feelings might get hurt?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY good question. This is the easiest and shortest way to answer. WHEREVER THERE IS A SIGN PROHIBITING IT. Virtually every state has adopted laws requiring signage to help everyone figure that question out. Bars in AZ allow open carry UNLESS the owner hangs a sign prohibiting in his place. WY was allowing open carry all the way back in the seventies for bars. I haven't been out there hunting in many years. I don't know if it has been changed. ╦╦Ç
Well that makes too much sense. I am fortunate enough to have set foot in every state in our great nation. I have seen these signs all over carry states and have never made the association that the establishment is governing the carry law in these situations. I had always figured it was mandatory to fly the sign.
Thanks for the 411 Terry!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How does he manage to carry that and the umbrella,beverages,folding chairs, weed, spare detector?

chub

Oh no, that's what the Grandkids are for, plus carrying the ammo. I can usually manage the weed by myself :skullflag:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out this card. Pictures of front and back. IMG_20170716_160945405_HDR.jpg IMG_20170716_160956538_HDR.jpg

HH, RN

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that makes too much sense. I am fortunate enough to have set foot in every state in our great nation. I have seen these signs all over carry states and have never made the association that the establishment is governing the carry law in these situations. I had always figured it was mandatory to fly the sign.
Thanks for the 411 Terry!
Your assumption is both right and wrong, King. The Fed and State government laws are working together here. Feds require that all government buildings doing business with the public, be off limits. Those places will often have detecting "walk-throughs at public entryways. Fed law, I believe, has no authority over MOST private businesses. That is state law governing those places to allow or not. As I said before, if no sign, probably ok. Of course, my statements here are in NO WAY to be taken as an accurate law interpretation, just experienced opinion. Tnx. ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And there is the other view. If one feels threatened by open carry in places that a detectorist is perfectly legal to carry, one should only visit areas that prohibit open carry. With detectors costing hundreds, even thousands, and the detectorist bagging gold rings, there is a real threat (possible) of being robbed of his equipment and finds. Not from those that feel threatened, but from those that will threaten. ╦╦Ç

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My attitude is pretty simple. You do what you want, because I sure am. :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• SelfShotYNot.jpg
    SelfShotYNot.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 58

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Right. It should not make you uncomfortable. So why does it?
Care to detail how your rights have been molested by a law abiding citizen with a gun?

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your question, Wilbur, is absolutely a personal preference. Go to a full service gun shop and try them out. It has been my observation that those with bigger belly-bulge tend to favor them outside. The thinner person favors inside. Do lots of looking around before purchase. Buy the BEST holster you can afford. Safariland, De Santis, Galco. You are more likely to carry if the holster is more comfortable. I also have a very cheap Uncle Mike's. I cut the bottom tip off to carry my full-size Sig (concealed). By cutting the tip off, the barrel is not sitting in collecting GUNK, causing rust to form more easily. I cut the top surfaces off so I can wear the gun lower. And I cut the areas around the trigger guard off to take up the extra material. Because the area around the trigger guard was cut off, I had to sew that portion with heavy sail thread. A COMPLETE make-over. This soft holster is a good run-down-to-the-store rig. ╦╦Ç

Thanks Terry. :icon_thumright:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right. It should not make you uncomfortable. So why does it?
Care to detail how your rights have been molested by a law abiding citizen with a gun?
In some cities in southern California it is against the law to smoke on your own property. (I am not kidding)
We all have rights. Keeping our rights requires a balance. e.g. exercising your rights without seriously infringing on the rights of others. unfortunately in the age of Millennials it seems that he who squeaks the loudest and longest wins. We must remain vigilant in the push back or our gun rights will go the way of the rights to smoke if you choose. (I am no longer a smoker) when it comes to guns it will be out of my cold dead hand.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In some cities in southern California it is against the law to smoke on your own property. (I am not kidding)
We all have rights. Keeping our rights requires a balance. e.g. exercising your rights without seriously infringing on the rights of others. unfortunately in the age of Millennials it seems that he who squeaks the loudest and longest wins. We must remain vigilant in the push back or our gun rights will go the way of the rights to smoke if you choose. (I am no longer a smoker) when it comes to guns it will be out of my cold dead hand.

Man, that is Messed Up.
I've never smoked + had to endure flights back in the 70s where you were seated in a container that recirculated smokers' emmisions whether you liked it or not, but not being allowed to smoke on your own prop is wrong. I don't know where people get off thinking they can control others like that.

How can people not understand that one person's rights end where another's begin? And this snowflake attitude that 'the world has to conform to my feelings' is so..............infinitely beyond Feminine or Juvenile that I think I may have inadvertly insulted women and kids by saying that. My sincere apologies if any took it that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread