I believe we need a gun thread. Carrying while detecting?

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The snake thread was going on a tangent with some gun play...

Im sure there's plenty of us here that love the gun topic. I only carry a lansky "the knife" (lightweight composite semi disposable) and a truemark slingshot with lead BBs when hiking/detecing.

Please share! Favourite guns, shooting stories, amazing shots, accidents. Anything gun related.

Heres a story....in about 1985 when I was 12 I had grandpas winchester double trigger side by side. One side was choked right up the other was open, longer range than a skeet but shorter than the tight choke....
Wake up just before dawn hearing the chickens carrying on making much noise, so thought it was a fox. Jumped out of bed completely naked grabbed the winchester another 2 shells and the fox whistle. Ran out to see a fox at the chicken fence, let one off with the choke, its a bit dark so I thought Id hit it but wasnt sure. Most of the chickens were closed in roost some in some trees. Anyway ran about 1/2 or 3/4 mile through a field following what I think is the fox. Stop, wait ,whistle a bit... then keep on running......right into the neighbour!! who had heard the first shot and was investigating. Standing there, but naked 12 year old kid, antique side by side holding one empty and one size 6... with fox whistle around neck....

chub

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.38 special, HP, in a S&W air weight. With me at all times I out of the house. Wife carries a .380 as my co hunter.
Marvin

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my conceal carry license and when I hunt in any area I'm not completely sure of, I carry a small Ruger .380 LCP in a belt-clipped Sneaky Pete holster that keeps it concealed and protected but allows for a quick and easy draw if needed. I've never had to used it, but I have been tempted by one too many crushed soda cans and pull tabs...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I feel I need to be armed to detect a site, then I am in the wrong neck of the woods. To each their own.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in California, you can't carry most places so I don't. If I could, I would carry always. i Started shooting before I learned to ride a bike and not being able to carry is a bummer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lead from bullets seem a more stable target over all....unlike "lead" fishing sinkers which seem to range from zinc to foil?

chub

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I feel I need to be armed to detect a site, then I am in the wrong neck of the woods. To each their own.

I often hunt old home sites in the woods, and around here we have wild hogs, coyote, snakes, and other things that sometimes show up. I've never had to fire, but I have been glad to have the option if needed. I don't think about it in terms of protection against another person when I hunt, but I guess that could also happen. In any event, it's like my first aid kit -- I hope I never need it, but if I do, I'd rather have it with me than not.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as thread remains non political it can stay. Please keep political comments out....

I have CCA license, I carry 99.5% of the time, I carry while metal detecting, shopping, grocery, movies, church, walmart, parks, work and so on, it makes no difference, if the state law allows the location I am at I carry, sometimes I carry multiple pieces too.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Going light can get too light.
Was not detecting though the lil piece at least goes along when I do, with a larger relation of it at times ....when there came a day when the real limits of a 1 1/8 barrel"s effect on a .22 long rifle cartridge was proven.
Not really a suitable story for a public forum ,but lets just say it is a couple inch away close range proposition to penetrate particular skull.

I carry because I carry. Detecting is just another outing in regards.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't leave it home just because I was going detecting.

I carry to all but schools and Federal Buildings.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carry is a Smith & Wesson M&P 40C.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I lived in AZ, a woman in her 80's walked up to me in a large grocery store. I was carrying my Smith 19, in high gloss nickel, open carry. She said she admired my pistol. She then opened her purse to show me her pistol and said, "This is what I carry". I love it! Looks like the thread is off and running, Chub! ╦╦Ç

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The police are very unhappy to see people carry guns on beaches and on parks. Good hunting and good luck.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The snake thread was going on a tangent with some gun play...

Im sure there's plenty of us here that love the gun topic. I only carry a lansky "the knife" (lightweight composite semi disposable) and a truemark slingshot with lead BBs when hiking/detecing.

Please share! Favourite guns, shooting stories, amazing shots, accidents. Anything gun related.

Heres a story....in about 1985 when I was 12 I had grandpas winchester double trigger side by side. One side was choked right up the other was open, longer range than a skeet but shorter than the tight choke....
Wake up just before dawn hearing the chickens carrying on making much noise, so thought it was a fox. Jumped out of bed completely naked grabbed the winchester another 2 shells and the fox whistle. Ran out to see a fox at the chicken fence, let one off with the choke, its a bit dark so I thought Id hit it but wasnt sure. Most of the chickens were closed in roost some in some trees. Anyway ran about 1/2 or 3/4 mile through a field following what I think is the fox. Stop, wait ,whistle a bit... then keep on running......right into the neighbour!! who had heard the first shot and was investigating. Standing there, but naked 12 year old kid, antique side by side holding one empty and one size 6... with fox whistle around neck....

chub
I used to own a double trigger sxs. I would often let go with both barrels at the same time just for the fun of it. At about 78 ft/lbs per barrel, it would leave bruises but.... so what? ╦╦Ç

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry everywhere that I am legal to do so. I urge every competent shooter to do the same.
I also recommend that you also carry some means of less lethal force, such as pepper spray.
And comms (eg cellphone) is a Must. "If you aint got commo, you ............"

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Phased plasma rifle, in the 40 watt range.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The police are very unhappy to see people carry guns on beaches and on parks. Good hunting and good luck.
I say ..... hmm.... no politics, meaning I must stop here. Sorry. ╦╦Ç

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always pack. You never know unfortunately.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always pack. You never know unfortunately.
Not everyone has the attitude to carry (concealed?). But, if someone does, they must ALWAYS carry. It's one way or the other. No in between. I've gone to many cop get-togethers and know 70/80 % of the other officers were carrying. It was expected. If I went to a non-cop party and checked my coat, I would ask the host for a safe place to put my sidearm and ammo (separate). Many would ask, is that loaded? Silly question. My son could hit a target at 25 yards with my .44 mag pistol at age four. Maybe not the black, but always busted paper. When he was old enough for school, his friend's would come over. If they knew I was a cop, they might ask to see my gun. He always answered, "No, it's not a toy". That was my boy! ╦╦Ç

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the woods the judge is the perfect choice for me. The 410. Does a good job on snake and the 45Lc will take care of anything else.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread