More trespassers

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sucks.. I've been denied permission several times recently on farms.. I just keep knocking.

As mentioned before canna should help. I love trail cams

When I hunted a lot of fields I used plot watcher 300 feet range!

I had several linked to my cell phone account and I got notifications of activity.

They arent cheap but being able to ID these people and placing another in common parking places to get tag numbers equals Prosecution time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have dogs that notice anything..

Game cameras need to be concealed ,so not to be stolen or the cards removed but are a good idea as mentioned. A piece of glass behind some birdhouses hole/door opening here and there in plain sight in addition to cameras and a "warning camera" sign should attract attention. (A good camera target ,if camera is hidden well enough and bird house attracts attention thinking it holds a camera or vandalism.)
Cheap bird houses with a glass "lens"might be suspected as cameras and their sight area be avoided too...depends on the trespassers .

Wireless driveway alarms can help ,when you are home.

I might be tempted to "seed" the yard with something...

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Jeffofpa lives there, begin the investgation

OP
OP
nsdq

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he was doing it there would be 900 pics and a history of the area , (QUOTEf-gordon;5471680]I think Jeffofpa lives there, begin the investgation[/QUOTE]

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
also he leaves scat wherever he goes

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, my money is on skunk. Unless there is junk laying next to the holes, just a nocturnal animal enjoying dinner.
No reason someone would leave holes open, but take the time to pack trash home.

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Geeze, what states are some of you from that claim you can not use firearms to protect your property? Here in Kentucky it is done all of the time. It does not matter what their "intentions" are...stealing scrap metal, digging holes, robbing you, etc. How are you supposed to know their intentions? If they are trespassing, they assume the risk of getting shot as far as I am concerned. I don't have to ask them what they are doing, or fire a warning shot. The sign that reads: "If you are found here tonight, you will be found here in the morning" pretty much sums it up.

Bill

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Geeze, what states are some of you from that claim you can not use firearms to protect your property? Here in Kentucky it is done all of the time. It does not matter what their "intentions" are...stealing scrap metal, digging holes, robbing you, etc. How are you supposed to know their intentions? If they are trespassing, they assume the risk of getting shot as far as I am concerned. I don't have to ask them what they are doing, or fire a warning shot. The sign that reads: "If you are found here tonight, you will be found here in the morning" pretty much sums it up.
Bill

Shoot someone in Ohio and you better be able to prove that you were under immediate, serious threat of rape, death, or great bodily harm and you had no way to retreat. That is unless you are inside your home, business, or car, in which case you are not required to retreat, but still need to prove the seriousness of the threat. Theft is not a shoot-able offense here unless they were attempsing to kill you to get what they want. There a lot of people who have ended up in jail and financially ruined for pulling the trigger when they thought they were in the right.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless the perp is trespassing with no shirt the shotgun wad will do more harm than the rock-salt. it sounds good but it's not really effective.

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shoot someone in Ohio and you better be able to prove that you were under immediate, serious threat of rape, death, or great bodily harm and you had no way to retreat. That is unless you are inside your home, business, or car, in which case you are not required to retreat, but still need to prove the seriousness of the threat. Theft is not a shoot-able offense here unless they were attempsing to kill you to get what they want. There a lot of people who have ended up in jail and financially ruined for pulling the trigger when they thought they were in the right.

That is hard to believe but, I am assuming you know the laws in your state. If you are correct, that is very sad. Everyone should receive firearms training for their state and then they would not have to guess or be misinformed about the laws in that state. I have had my concealed deadly weapons license since around 1995 and, since I am armed at work and at home, I am very familiar with the changes in the laws since my training. Thank God we don't have to wait and see if a perp means to just rob us, or rob and kill us before taking action.

Bill

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill

Ahhh the Good ? old days, Killing someone over Aluminum Scrap , Now if it's Hundreds of pounds of # 1 copper or Brass that's a different story , IMHO. Still these days , You would be the one to go to jail if you were not under threat. Esp , It your one Race & the perp is another , heck I might even see you on the news ( but I don't watch it anymore so )???

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is hard to believe but, I am assuming you know the laws in your state. If you are correct, that is very sad. Everyone should receive firearms training for their state and then they would not have to guess or be misinformed about the laws in that state. I have had my concealed deadly weapons license since around 1995 and, since I am armed at work and at home, I am very familiar with the changes in the laws since my training. Thank God we don't have to wait and see if a perp means to just rob us, or rob and kill us before taking action.

Bill

Also IMO you must have a-lot of Lawyer / Bond $ put up . Tho it should not be this way.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the OP lives next to a Battlefield or a Known historic spot , if it were my land , I likely would have Hunted it out , the brought in the Dozier's , Went 'GPX".

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a measured risk to defend yourself.
Each situation is different. The jury just needs to agree with your sense of immediate danger that would likely result in great harm to yourself or others.

Aggressor armed with a gun = lots of room for wiggle.
Aggressor with knife/tire iron = 18’
Intruder armed or not armed crossing the threshold of your entryway of your home or entering a window = point blank.

That’s what I’ve heard people say is a good rule of thumb.

In Texas you can apparently shoot a guy in the back while he’s fleeing after breaking into an unoccupied house across the street.
However I would not want to be tasked with convincing a jury on that one.

Are there any states where you can shoot someone because they were trying to walk off with something of yours?

Last edited:

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Intruder armed or not armed crossing the threshold of your entryway of your home or entering a window = point blank.

If they are armed I would say go for it. Unarmed and the homeowner's got the drop on them; that could be big trouble in court depending on state law. This is excerpt from Ohio's Concealed Carry Laws and License Application under Castle Doctrine from the Ohio Attorney General's office:

"However, being a lawful occupant of a residence or vehicle is not alicense to use deadly force against an attacker. The person who isattacked, without fault of his own, may use deadly force only if hereasonably and honestly believed that deadly force was necessaryto prevent serious bodily harm or death. If the person does not havethis belief, he should not use deadly force. Again, if it does not putyour life or the life of others in danger, you should withdraw from theconfrontation if it is safe for you to do so."

Yeah, it is what it is.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prolly some kid with an ACE 150 he got for his birthday... chill and set up a trail cam.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
A man here in Mich was just sentenced to 19 to 40 years in prison for shooting and killing two young men that were on a crime spree on his property in the country in the early a.m. The homeowner had no previous criminal record.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are armed I would say go for it. Unarmed and the homeowner's got the drop on them; that could be big trouble in court depending on state law. This is excerpt from Ohio's Concealed Carry Laws and License Application under Castle Doctrine from the Ohio Attorney General's office:

"However, being a lawful occupant of a residence or vehicle is not alicense to use deadly force against an attacker. The person who isattacked, without fault of his own, may use deadly force only if hereasonably and honestly believed that deadly force was necessaryto prevent serious bodily harm or death. If the person does not havethis belief, he should not use deadly force. Again, if it does not putyour life or the life of others in danger, you should withdraw from theconfrontation if it is safe for you to do so."

Yeah, it is what it is.

I have to assume if someone is breaking into my home, they have bad intentions and are likely armed.
I’m not going to have an opportunity to pat them down. Of course every situation is different.

When I took CCW class the instructor demonstrated how a man with a knife can stab someone with a gun in hand when attacking from 15’ away. Further when firearm was concealed. The time it takes for reaction / decision / action allows someone to cover a lot of ground.

Back to topic ... shooting someone with a shotgun for trespassing with a metal detector is completely out of the question in reality. I’d put some signs up regarding trespassing and cameras (if you own the land in question).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread