Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_0703.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought a book today that has that in there.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were a Native American back then I doubt that I would ever join forces with any Paleface.
Marvin

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Indians had been fighting as hired mercenaries/scouts for various parties a solid century before the civil war.
French, English, Spaniards, Colonialists, the list goes on.
Their allegiance was largely based on who controlled territory at the moment and who could pay them the most.

There were indian scouts killed with Custer at Little Big Horn - And I'm not so sure they were "CSA soldiers" per se, more like paid guerillas who would and probably did align themselves with Union forces just as well.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Is that some kind of disparaging remark?

I'm offended. :tongue3:

I looked up indians in the confederate army. Came up with one who was raised by missionaries. Thats what led me to post. As far as brainwashing, if you look at what they did to the indian children in their care, brainwashing fits.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Indians were badly treated by our federal government for many years and they are still miss treated.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I looked up indians in the confederate army. Came up with one who was raised by missionaries. Thats what led me to post. As far as brainwashing, if you look at what they did to the indian children in their care, brainwashing fits.

Which "brand" of "missionaries" are you referring to? Many different sects or flat out cults out there mate.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Maybe General Lee offered them some firewater. :occasion14:

Of, maybe the Blue Coats killed one too many natives...

In Louisiana the Blue Coats slaughtered 1000's of our Native American friends.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Indians had been fighting as hired mercenaries/scouts for various parties a solid century before the civil war.
French, English, Spaniards, Colonialists, the list goes on.
Their allegiance was largely based on who controlled territory at the moment and who could pay them the most.

There were indian scouts killed with Custer at Little Big Horn - And I'm not so sure they were "CSA soldiers" per se, more like paid guerillas who would and probably did align themselves with Union forces just as well.

The majority of ones that were with union forces quickly crossed over to the Confederates. True story.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Atrocities should not be erased from history or they could be repeated in the future.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
at the info center at the Battle of Pea Ridge, there is a lot of info on the Indians fighting for the south. Most people don't know that there were Indians that owned a lot of slaves back then. these slaves could be any race including other Indians. But there was a lot of other reasons besides the slave issue that prompted people in the south to fight, including unfair taxing on cotton etc. from the south. People tend to be very naive regarding the policies of the Federal Govt in the south back then. And yes, I have my Indian card, my father is an Elder (Fire Keeper) in our area Cherokee. Anyways, many Indians fought for they felt the need to.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Confederacy offered the Cherokee self rule on their land in OK & NC if they would organize along with the South in secession. My GGGrandfather was a Cherokee who avoided the 1838 Indian Removal Act because his father was granted citizenship by the State of Alabama for his service under Andrew Jackson at the battle of Horseshoe Bend during the War of 1812. My GGGrandfather joined the 10th Alabama Infantry Regiment in 1861, was captured at Gettysburg and put in the Fort Delaware POW compound. After about 6 months in prison he Galvanized and was assigned to the 1st Conn. Cavalry as a blacksmith. In the spring of 1864 Grant ordered all Galvanized troops to be sent out West to fight the Sioux Indians. Then in December my GGGRandfather deserted the Union Army and lived amongst other Indians until the wars end. He eventually moved to the Florida Panhandle where he spent the rest of his life farming. Just one of many Indian stories from the Civil War.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lump them all together.. Others can separate them as they choose. Remember we are talking about Indian missionaries in the 18,00’s.

BS not all were like that!!! :angry4: Why am I not surprised this coming from you? :dontknow: My GGGrandfather and other family members were missionaries to the Cherokee in North Carolina. They never interfered with making them change their heritage and/or culture! They helped them in many good ways with food, clothing, etc. regardless of whether or not they accepted their Christian beliefs. In fact my GGGrandfather married a full blooded Cherokee woman when it was still looked down upon by most. He never made her change and always made sure that their 2 sons retained the skills of the Cherokee and were proud of their heritage!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread