Hematite Face Effigy?

EGREEN

Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_2017-07-20-20-23-09.png

I found this about 4yrs ago in Kentucky, can't remember the town but something like within 50miles of Lake Barkley/Land between the Lakes area. It's heavy, and it gets rusty. I know there is hematite and iron ore in the area, my dad has a favorite vein of it he brings hunks home from. I'm looking for some validation on what this is. It pretty much is a face with an exposed brain ontop, very interesting. I put it in my office plant and ever since then my plant has been clinging to life, finally removed it because I figure it's leaching something... Just hopefully not bad spirits ;)

Last edited:

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1474586

I found this about 4yrs ago in Kentucky, can't remember the town but something like within 50miles of Lake Barkley/Land between the Lakes area. It's heavy, and it gets rusty. I know there is hematite and iron ore in the area, my dad has a favorite vein of it he brings hunks home from. I'm looking for some validation on what this is. It pretty much is a face with an exposed brain ontop, very interesting. I put it in my office plant and ever since then my plant has been clinging to life, finally removed it because I figure it's leaching something... Just hopefully not bad spirits ;)

It isn't hematite but I can't tell from the photo what it's made of? It actually looks more like the face of an owl. Oh yeah did I mention BRAINS!!! :laughing7:

OP
OP
E

EGREEN

Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better Pic?

Screenshot_2017-07-20-22-21-22.png

This a little better picture.... I was going to get more but then the baby started crying and the 11yo was saying "not it", Then my phone went dead...Such is the life of a super hero. ;)
If I have time this weekend I'll try to get pictures of the sides and back. It feels, looks and acts like some sort of metal... even leaves a metallic smell on your hands after handling it. You can even see the red rusting from it being in my plant VS the first pic which was taken the day I found it 4 yrs ago.

I know there were iron smelters in the area, maybe someone made this just fooling around when they were melting the iron ore?

I found it in a ditch amongst some pretty cool fossils. There was a large clearing about half the size of a football field. It looked like a gravel pit, the whole area was just natural rocks of all kinds so I'm really surprised I found anything there just because it started to all look the same!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, it is a geofact, natural stone

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
On the other hand, you could paint in what you see and try to sell it ... works for my wife.

OP
OP
E

EGREEN

Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well fiddle stix!
Not interested in painting it or selling it. I like the oddity for its oddities.... Might take it back to work for a conversation piece. Everyone that saw it thought it was creepy lol.
Thank you!

Yolandarae

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2020
Austin texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see it..Surely there's got to be a place you can send it off too that can tell you for sure ? I have a face effigy too and I don't think it's just mother nature....

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a natural, but peculiar, formation to me, too. Doesn’t appear to be man made but, like you said, maybe keep it as a conversation piece at work or wherever. I doubt it had anything to do with the demise of your plant.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know but it would sell on Ebay!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see it..Surely there's got to be a place you can send it off too that can tell you for sure ? I have a face effigy too and I don't think it's just mother nature....

You can find someone who will tell you it's real just like you can find someone who will say the earth is flat. They call it portable art, which is really just combination of mother nature and their imagination.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Google "Pareidolia".

Our brains are hard-coded to get information from faces or detect the stare of a predator.

We see faces in inanimate objects.

34918554036_c2451b944d_b.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread