1791 FARM HOUSE BURNT BY LAKOTA INDIANS

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd guess Delaware, Miami, Shawnee or Wyandot in that case.

Still a VERY interesting place to check out if it was around in the 18th century.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you take a pic of the junk? Sounds crazy, but I have been hitting old farm sites all year. Mostly modern iron or ? Can you disc iron or is there so much that all signals are masked? I've been to some old farms that were basically impossible to hunt in the most logical prime areas because of 250 years of farm iron. Best are farms from the 1700's that disappeared in the 1800''s of course. Did you at least get a button or buckle that was period? I'm in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. Also, have you looked at the 1930's Penn Pilot aerials of this farm? It could aid in where and where not to hunt. Near barns and old farm garage structures is difficult, near the old homestead is the key. Or determine where the yard or gathering place could have been. Good luck!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you take a pic of the junk? Sounds crazy, but I have been hitting old farm sites all year. Mostly modern iron or ? Can you disc iron or is there so much that all signals are masked? I've been to some old farms that were basically impossible to hunt in the most logical prime areas because of 250 years of farm iron. Best are farms from the 1700's that disappeared in the 1800''s of course. Did you at least get a button or buckle that was period? I'm in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. Also, have you looked at the 1930's Penn Pilot aerials of this farm? It could aid in where and where not to hunt. Near barns and old farm garage structures is difficult, near the old homestead is the key. Or determine where the yard or gathering place could have been. Good luck!

Look for foliage that just doesn't fit. Man made rows. This may help you find the garden, a GOOD spot to find caches or similar. ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
R

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Garrett Pro Pointer,Custom Made Sand Scoop,Garrett AT Pinpointer, Whites MX Sport , Eqauinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything I found was old farm junk,no buckles or buttons,YET.I'm not giving up by any means,I'll get it together,it just may take me awhile.Pa Dirt NC Sand where do I get the info on 1930 PENN PILOT ? This is my first historical site to hunt,I'm not very experienced on the research end of this game.Any help in that area would be very helpful.Thanks

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
http://www.pennpilot.psu.edu/
Enter the town, pa. And then select the 1930's option. Click on the closet aerial photo, sometimes helpful to down load a couple. The magic comes with now using this file as an overlay on Google Earth. This takes some patience and practice, but it allows you to dial into exact spots, barns, driveways, homes, front yards and see how the looked 80 years ago and exactly where to find these spots today.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I spent three days metal detecting my two acres this,with conditions very similar to the place your are metal detecting. When I bought the house I knew it would be a nightmare to metal detect it and didn't expect much, I have never found anything good at any colonial cellar hole that has been abandoned within the past seventy five years. Anyways, the telephone lines made metal detecting near the street hard, too much interference. The living room was built around twenty years ago, and anywhere within ten feet of it is going to be under a foot of fill dirt. The house was built in the mid 1740's, based on my extensive research, and has over 250 years of trash. I found around 7 hard silver colored, heavy metal blobs. Four nails and a cable clamp in one hole. I also found a lot of foil, cans, a steel bottle cap, an old small lead bar (it would be cool if it was for making musket balls), I also found the expected pull tabs, square nails, many shotgun shells, and clad. In the woods I found an 1840's button, a hand forged iron sickle, a red Ryder BB gun and a musket ball. The only good finds from the yard were, a mid 1800's butter knife blade, an 1800's copper (probably once silver plated) fiddleback spoon handle, and a tool tag with the name of a local blacksmith who worked in my town in the 1870's-1880's. Anyways, I would be prepared to find a lot of trash, and maybe a few nice relics or coins if you are lucky. I'm guessing that my experience in my yard was probably what you could expect to find around a house that has been around for over 200 years, and has 200 years of trash. Good luck!

OP
OP
R

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Garrett Pro Pointer,Custom Made Sand Scoop,Garrett AT Pinpointer, Whites MX Sport , Eqauinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will continue to keep everyone posted on any progress.I never thought this would be easy,but I WILL NOT give up

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great permission, what ever the suspected history. Looking foward to some pics. Happy hunting.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected a 1850's log house many years back.

I found a bit of metal, no nails, and some broken pottery.

Nails, and even scrap brass was precious back then, and so salvaged, hoarded, and used again.

Just a sign of the times, I guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread