1791 FARM HOUSE BURNT BY LAKOTA INDIANS

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Garrett Pro Pointer,Custom Made Sand Scoop,Garrett AT Pinpointer, Whites MX Sport , Eqauinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just received permission to hunt a 1791 farm.The story about the place is in 1791 the Lakota indians burnt the farm house by loading a wagon with hay and pushing it into the house on fire.The family rebuilt about 100ft from the original house.The barn is still in the original spot,it was never touched.The present owner had his brother-in-law hunt it just for one day,found mostly farm tools and part of a wagon hitch.Looking ahead I would like to get some info on cleaning copper,silver,&gold,my track record is not very good on the cleaning part of this game.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks to all ahead of time.GL&HH.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just received permission to hunt a 1791 farm.The story about the place is in 1791 the Lakota indians burnt the farm house by loading a wagon with hay and pushing it into the house on fire.The family rebuilt about 100ft from the original house.The barn is still in the original spot,it was never touched.The present owner had his brother-in-law hunt it just for one day,found mostly farm tools and part of a wagon hitch.Looking ahead I would like to get some info on cleaning copper,silver,&gold,my track record is not very good on the cleaning part of this game.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks to all ahead of time.GL&HH.
I just visited the Adobe Walls, TX battlefield. Two battles there. The Comanches won the first one. Kit Carson led the troops. Had to hightail it. Bat Masterson was involved in the second and the Army won that one. Not allowed to detect this site but was cool being there! ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
R

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Garrett Pro Pointer,Custom Made Sand Scoop,Garrett AT Pinpointer, Whites MX Sport , Eqauinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That"s a bummer not being able to detect there!!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you have a very promising permission. However, hunting locations of burnt down buildings is challenging. If the story is true there should be a lot of personal effects in the cellar hole, but mixed with a multitude of nails not to mention the roof nails creating a barrier at the top. It is doable, but you will most likely have to go full excavation mode to get to the good stuff. Option 2, is to sweep the areas around the cellar hole. These should have less iron signals and a chance to isolate some high tone targets and doable in 2-4 hours with minimal damage to there grounds. You will be digging really old dirt so any mid to high tone signal could be a significant find. Good luck.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
I don't know how many nails would have been used in 1791 but they were so valuable people would burn their own homes down to get them if they moved. Good luck.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1791 - Lakota Indians - sure about all that?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ohio was a territory (the Northwest Territory) and the Turtle War was underway.

Might have been Chippewa, Miami or Delaware nations . . . but I also think the Lakotas were an unknown quantity except to French Traders. Lewis & Clark were still 13 years after 1791.

What state is this farmhouse in?

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you have a very promising permission. However, hunting locations of burnt down buildings is challenging. If the story is true there should be a lot of personal effects in the cellar hole, but mixed with a multitude of nails not to mention the roof nails creating a barrier at the top. It is doable, but you will most likely have to go full excavation mode to get to the good stuff. Option 2, is to sweep the areas around the cellar hole. These should have less iron signals and a chance to isolate some high tone targets and doable in 2-4 hours with minimal damage to there grounds. You will be digging really old dirt so any mid to high tone signal could be a significant find. Good luck.
Yes, definitely a job for SIFTER MAN. May even find artifacts that the detector can't (non-metallic). ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1791 - Lakota Indians - sure about all that?
Slingshot, was that directed at me? There is a very good book, Empire of the Summer Moon. The story of Lisa Parker and one of her offspring, Quanah Parker, who became the leader of a huge band of Comanches. Mexico was so afraid of the Comanches that they gave away free land to the Whites to put a buffer between Mexico and the feared Comanche Nation. ╦╦Ç

Last edited:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell us what you find, please. The clean up will be another story. It sounds like a rare opportunity to explore. Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
R

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slingshot,that was the story I received from the currant owner of the property? I already thought about all the nails,it about gave me nightmares.Today is going to be my first day there.I will let everyone know what the day produced.

OP
OP
R

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was my first day on the 1791 Lakota farm.As I expected ,lots of junk & I do mean junk.I sort of went there for a feel of the place,because when I really sat down and thought of this it is quite overwhelming .As i was going over the farm I came up with the idea of presenting this to the MD club I belong to about having a brown bag hunt.I haven't talked this over with the owner yet.What is everyone elses thoughts on this? By the way I never did find one nail.surprising.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
never heard that sioux were in pa

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought I read pennsylvania

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm. Then it's the Great Plains of PA or around the Black hills.

No Lakota Nation east of the Ohio River . . . ever.

OP
OP
R

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys,don't beat me up over this Lakota thing.It was the story I got from the owner!!!!!! Location is Southwestern Pa. & I'm sure Jeff of Pa. will know everything needed to know about this story.I'm just as interested in finding the truth about all this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread