Rare coin question

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cache, easy. Call one of the larger, reputable coin dealers and ask how to sell your rare coins. They will offer or steer you to a buyer/dealer. ╦╦Ç

EDIT: Be sure you know the back round of you coins before you turn them over to ANYONE. They may be held up in limbo until its history is ascertained. (stolen coin collections are big business) ╦╦Ç

Last edited:
OP
OP
cache finder

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cache, easy. Call one of the larger, reputable coin dealers and ask how to sell your rare coins. They will offer or steer you to a buyer/dealer. ╦╦Ç

EDIT: Be sure you know the back round of you coins before you turn them over to ANYONE. They may be held up in limbo until its history is ascertained. (stolen coin collections are big business) ╦╦Ç

I was wondering black market. Not stolen coins. Just coins the government doesn't want people to have.
So auction sites are off the table.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was wondering black market. Not stolen coins. Just coins the government doesn't want people to have.

The only ones that meet that definition that I know of are coins that got into private hands by following Mint employees home. Is that what we are discussing?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know too much about "black market" coins. I would think the powers to be would sniff out a problem with coins that just are not in the usual venues. They struck something like 20 1943 pennies before seeing the goof and changing to steel. I THINK those were deemed illegal to own. I don't know. ╦╦Ç

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, those 43 Cu cents are fine as they were released into circulation. Recently theres been some rulings about ownership where years and years ago great grandpa brought home 5 of the only known variety that were never released. The Mint took the position that they were stolen property and the Court agreed.

btw OP, if you are serious, you are committing an additional crime of Conspiracy and probably on a federal level as well if it involves US coins.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do people sell rare coins to private collectors? How do you find such private colloectors? For coins $2million and up?!
Just curious if you could point me in the right direction.

Funny thread.

TNET is a very, very popular searched website. More than a few have had visits after their posts, no matter how cute, or dumb.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Must be Coins that double as Assault Weapons because I don't know of many coins that fit the category you are referring to except the 1933 Gold Double Eagle and the 1913 Liberty "V" Nickel and it is doubtful that there are more of them that are unknown!:dontknow::icon_scratch:

Frank

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, those 43 Cu cents are fine as they were released into circulation. Recently theres been some rulings about ownership where years and years ago great grandpa brought home 5 of the only known variety that were never released. The Mint took the position that they were stolen property and the Court agreed.

btw OP, if you are serious, you are committing an additional crime of Conspiracy and probably on a federal level as well if it involves US coins.

Uh, hmm, I don't have ANY old coins, or silver, gold, etc. I only have rusty iron and aluminum can shards. I SWEAR!!!:angel12:

OP
OP
cache finder

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lmao. I'm having a discussion with a friend about them. If I had some good coins the last place I would post would be online. Lmao.
Just like finding a can full of gold coins, only a free close friends would know. I don't share good caches

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to hear.

I would add that I was of the same mind on keeping my mouth shut if I found something like the Saddle Ridge Hoard until I realized that the publicity of the find made it something like 10x more valuable than just discretely selling the coins off 1 at a time.
(btw, I'd bet a lot of money that those weren't found near anything named 'Saddle Ridge' :laughing7:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions