pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yesterday I went out onto the property to walk the dog and to see if there was any effects from the rain storm from Monday which dumped 4.75" on us. My GSD (German Shepard Dog) came across another laying under a tree. I wasn't sure if this was a Coy dog laying down, or an older dog as it was all wet and licking it's mouth in a uncomfortable manner. I tethered my dog and went back to the house and called an absent neighbour inquiring if it was their pack. They stated it was and they'd been looking for it for two days. Oh what a relief! No wait this story has some troubling facts that just make me go WTF!
We're animals loving folks, never abuse them, feed them better than some folks eat, and probably treat them better as well - they are our family. Back to story of found dog.

First call: The mother answers and says "yes the dog is theirs and the daughter will call me"
Second call: The father calls and states the dog ran away during the thunder and lightning storm and they had been looking for it for two days, daughter will pick dog up.
Mother and daughter arrive and I now hear the facts.
Dog:14 yrs old
Friday: They decide to put the dog down:
Saturday: They decide to let the dog to have a nice day out:
Sunday night: Storm hits-dog takes off.
Tuesday: I find dog.
They thought the dog just went off to die, and that was that. Ok I can accept that animals just do that when the time comes they leave the pack and go off to die. But what troubles me is that they didn't put much effort into finding this pet. We live in a small hamlet and are 500 metres away from each other. Heavily treed but our property's butt up against each other, so they can walk via street, or trail along the large creek to our home. Not once did they inquire-nor did we see them looking for the dog. So they didn't put much effort into finding their pet.
As 24 hrs pass and I have had time to digest this, it gives me heartburn to think that after owning a pet for 14 yrs to let it go off and die alone? I find it hard to think I could do such a thing myself even though nature is cruel sometimes it's what happens. I would think that comforting the pet on its last days would be honourable as it has given its life to a person in the first place.
They seemed so phoney about caring about the getting the dog back-but really I felt that they were saying to themselves "Oh crap we have to take the dog back"

IMG_20170725_073830907.jpg

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People make me sick!!! :angry4: Animals have more feelings that most people these days so why are we still even calling them animals?

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have some scumbag neighbors there, my friend. When I have to put a dog down I'm laying on the vet's office floor crying like a baby and holding my canine brother, or sister, until the light leaves their eyes. I can tell that you're a good person by the way this situation bothers you.

Semper Fi

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That really makes me sad.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
THERE SHOULD BE A STRICT TEST TO TAKE TO OWN ANIMALS(CAPS INTENDED)

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to fathom, I get upset when I see a dead animal on the road, especially if its a fox or something like that. Those furry family members deserve so much better than that.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sorry to say that it sounds like they are just tired of taking care of the dog! If a person or family can't or won't take care of a dog or cat, then then they should not get either one. From the pic, the poor German Shepherd probably knows that his or her family wants to put him or her down and is likely one of the reasons the dog ran off. As we all know, dogs can live a lot longer than 14 years but some folks don't want to or can't bear the costs when they start to get ailments and need medical care and/or medicines.

Frank

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's the hardest decision a pet owned has to make - but it is the responsibility you take on as a pet owner.

Like USMC Reaper - they are in my arms or I am beside them when they close their eyes for the last time.

If you can't take on that hurt you didn't deserve their love.

DINAH IN HEAVEN

by Rudyard Kipling

She did not know that she was dead
But, when the pang was o'er,
Sat down to wait her Master's tread
Upon the Golden Floor,

With ears full-cock and anxious eyes,
Impatiently resigned;
But ignorant that Paradise
Did not admit her kind.

There was one step along the Stair
That led to Heaven's Gate;
And, till she heard it, her affair
Was -- she explained -- to wait.

And she explained with flattened ear,
Bared lip and milky tooth--
Storming against Ithuriel's Spear
That only proved her truth!

Sudden -- far down the Bridge of Ghosts
That anxious spirits clomb--
She caught that step in all the hosts,
And knew that he had come.

She left them wondering what to do,
But not a doubt had she.
Swifter than her own squeal she flew
Across the Glassy Sea;

Flushing the Cherubs everywhere,
And skidding as she ran,
She refuged under Peter's Chair
And waited for her man.

There spoke a Spirit out of the press,
'Said: -- "Have you any here
That saved a fool from drunkenness,
And a coward from his fear?

"That turned a soul from dark to day
When other help was vain;
That snatched it from wan hope and made
A cur a man again?"

"Enter and look," said Peter then,
And set the Gate ajar.
"If I know aught of women and men
I trow she is not far."

"Neither by virtue, speech nor art
Nor hope of grace to win;
But godless innocence of heart
That never heard of sin:

"Neither by beauty nor belief
Nor white example shown.
Something a wanton -- more a thief --
But -- most of all -- mine own."

"Enter and look," said Peter then,
"And send you well to speed;
But, for all that I know of women and men
Your riddle is hard to read."

Then flew Dinah from under the Chair,
Into his arms she flew --
And licked his face from chin to hair
And Peter passed them through!

Last edited:
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great to read there's others out there that love their pets, I'm short on time but will reply to the replies later. Thanks

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the dog was thinking "screw these people, I'm getting the hell outta here so I can die in peace".

But seriously, those people ought to be ashamed of themselves. A pet is a family member, and only a selfish person would have let this play out like this. Looks like a sweet dog, I hope he didn't suffer too long.

We recently had a death in the family- my wife's 18yr old cat named Erik (full name Erik Magnus Magnusson the Red Proud Viking Kitty of the North) passed away in June. He was a huge cat, but by the end he was very skinny, and was getting worse at basic functioning. It got to the point my wife made the heartbreaking decision that he was ready to go to sleep. We agreed that we would pay to have the vet make a house call so he would be at peace, and not have the trauma of being loaded into the car and make the 30 minute drive to the Vet clinic. He would have hated that.

She called the vet on a Friday morning, but they wouldn't be able to come out until the following Monday. Over the weekend he became weaker, struggled to walk, wasn't interested in food. The vet clinic was closed over the weekend, so we made him as comfortable as we could until the vet could come Monday morning.

He couldn't wait until Monday. On the Sunday he passed away on our bed, in his favourite spot beside my wife, while we petted him and told him he was a good kitty. It was very sad, but it was the perfect way for him to go. I built him a box and he's buried in the flower garden in our yard.

When you sign up for a pet, you should be in it for the long haul!

I'm glad you found the owners, and I hope they did the right thing by that dog.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
People make me sick!!! :angry4: Animals have more feelings that most people these days so why are we still even calling them animals?

Sad thing the mother said this is the last dog she's getting-well after the 10yr old GSD is gone. Feel sorry fro that one as her compassion is dead.

You have some scumbag neighbors there, my friend. When I have to put a dog down I'm laying on the vet's office floor crying like a baby and holding my canine brother, or sister, until the light leaves their eyes. I can tell that you're a good person by the way this situation bothers you.

Semper Fi

They really can't call them true neighbours, bought a house, renovated it with out of province labour, never really lived there only to make an appearance once in a while. I really believe it's just a wash the extra $$$ from the businesses. Oh crap I even tear up when a friend has lost a pet, or the pet has been injured. Seen grown men keep a stiff upper lip stating their fathers have past away, the same with tears and quivering chins saying they had lost their dog. Oh bloody hell that just wetted my eyes just writing that....

That really makes me sad.
As it does me, thanks for your reply.

THERE SHOULD BE A STRICT TEST TO TAKE TO OWN ANIMALS(CAPS INTENDED)

Very true and for having children for some out there in this world-just saying.

It is hard to fathom, I get upset when I see a dead animal on the road, especially if its a fox or something like that. Those furry family members deserve so much better than that.

I hear you that one, don't get me going on turtle popping.:BangHead:

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people are P.O.S.'s...

Sheesh...

The more people I meet...

The more I love MY dogs.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am sorry to say that it sounds like they are just tired of taking care of the dog! If a person or family can't or won't take care of a dog or cat, then then they should not get either one. From the pic, the poor German Shepherd probably knows that his or her family wants to put him or her down and is likely one of the reasons the dog ran off. As we all know, dogs can live a lot longer than 14 years but some folks don't want to or can't bear the costs when they start to get ailments and need medical care and/or medicines.

Frank

Oh I hear you loud and clear on that one Frank. The fact that they can afford it, and the lack of compassion is what I find hard to comprehend with this. They were just getting a new driveway installed yesterday so money isn't tight, why a new driveway they don't even live there. No return on the money at the Vet's office.
Sort of funny when I think of another couple that are dog lovers and inherited a cat when the mother died many yrs ago. They don't really care for the cat but have spent lots of money on her care. The funny thing is the cat is going on 20 yrs old and refuses to part this world.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's the hardest decision a pet owned has to make - but it is the responsibility you take on as a pet owner.

Like USMC Reaper - they are in my arms or I am beside them when they close their eyes for the last time.

If you can't take on that hurt you didn't deserve their love.

They worm their way into our hearts to the point we love them so much as we're their pack leaders. To get the amount of love that is returned to us everyday has no price limits, sure we grumble about the vet bills and shake our heads at the yearly costs of maintaining their lives. But the countless amounts of joy they bring is priceless even when they act out and are being bad. :)

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe the dog was thinking "screw these people, I'm getting the hell outta here so I can die in peace".

But seriously, those people ought to be ashamed of themselves. A pet is a family member, and only a selfish person would have let this play out like this. Looks like a sweet dog, I hope he didn't suffer too long.

We recently had a death in the family- my wife's 18yr old cat named Erik (full name Erik Magnus Magnusson the Red Proud Viking Kitty of the North) passed away in June. He was a huge cat, but by the end he was very skinny, and was getting worse at basic functioning. It got to the point my wife made the heartbreaking decision that he was ready to go to sleep. We agreed that we would pay to have the vet make a house call so he would be at peace, and not have the trauma of being loaded into the car and make the 30 minute drive to the Vet clinic. He would have hated that.

She called the vet on a Friday morning, but they wouldn't be able to come out until the following Monday. Over the weekend he became weaker, struggled to walk, wasn't interested in food. The vet clinic was closed over the weekend, so we made him as comfortable as we could until the vet could come Monday morning.

He couldn't wait until Monday. On the Sunday he passed away on our bed, in his favourite spot beside my wife, while we petted him and told him he was a good kitty. It was very sad, but it was the perfect way for him to go. I built him a box and he's buried in the flower garden in our yard.

Oh I'm so sorry for your recent loss, but my hat goes off to you sir for giving Erik the best life a cat could expect. We had the vet come to do check ups for our one dog we had in the city as stress of driving to the vets made it hard on him, going to the lake for a swim-OH YA !. Still looking for the home care for our pets where we live now out in the country, big farm animals no problem it seems-but household pets are a problem. Even though our vet lives only 5 minutes away we still have to drive 45 minutes away to the clinic.:dontknow:

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some people are P.O.S.'s...

Sheesh...

The more people I meet...

The more I love MY dogs.

Oh so true that statement is AARC. :occasion14:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't even have let them have their dog back after hearing their pathetic story. F them lowlifes. Unless a vet tells me that my dog needs to be euthanized and I can plainly see that he or she is suffering, I would never put a pet down.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn't even have let them have their dog back after hearing their pathetic story. F them lowlifes. Unless a vet tells me that my dog needs to be euthanized and I can plainly see that he or she is suffering, I would never put a pet down.

One just knows when its time to let go, for the well being of the pet. We try as most do to extend the pets life for our sake of companionship and the love that one shares. Some have the heart of ice when it comes to that day, as they do it and nothing really effects them.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Touching story mate. You are good people and your cat went out knowing he was loved and cared for until the very end. They are more than critters, they're family.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread