Advice Please - Treasure Hunting in Fresh Water Lake

Tatlock

Jul 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone

I am new to the site and new to treasure hunting. Hopefully I can get some advice as to the best route to go with treasure hunting in a fresh water lake.

The lake is natural, oval in shape, roughly 3/4 mile at its widest point and 1/2 mile at its narrowest point, 3-6 feet visibility, silted lakebed, and 12 ft at its deepest.

I am looking for gold, silver and jewels all in a single cluster and not spread out. The target area is near the centre of the lake. So not too ambitious!!

I am a certified diver and have a Garrett Underwater Metal Detector. However, diving is not permitted in the lake.

I have considered using side scan sonar from a kayak and even a low cost ROV.

The lake is not privately owned and treasure hunting is not prohibited. However, I would like to keep this low key.

Many thanks for any assistance that can be given.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Dragonfly 4 Pro on my kayak and it is astonishing the detail the CHIRP DownVision provides. You can see branches and roots in submerged trees.

BUT, heavy stuff in a small lake could well have sunk into the silt. The Dragonfly also shows bottom density in a split screen you could see features and compare them to the relative density of the surrounding bottom.

Won't tell you if it is a rock or bag full of metal, though.

OP
OP
T

Tatlock

Jul 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks xr7ator. I had to google 'nighthawk'.
It is not a protected site, and to my knowledge there are no known archaeological artefacts.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post Tatlock - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Hmmm. I've never googled nighthawk! Anyway, do it at night when the folks that would get upset for you breaking the no diving rule are sleeping.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sorry, we have to protect our hobby. We get enough restraints on us already. If it is forbidden to dive, it is forbidden to dive.

We should NOT support forbidden activities here.

I had a co-worker when I lived in Madison, Ohio in about 1986, who came in one Monday morning disgusted with the day before. He had a nice Sunday off, just resting and puttering around.

Then he happened to look out his front window and there was a stranger in his yard metal detecting, leaving a mess. He confronted the guy and the guy argued with him that he'd had the right to do it.

It was before and around this time when it seems like everywhere got ultra restrictive on where we could hunt = "No Metal Detecting" signs. One of the things which drove me out of the hobby for the 25 years til my return, was the 3 times I was tapped on the shoulder by county cops, and various others accosting me in public parks.

Stuff like that which is intended hurts this hobby.

We have to protect the rights we have left.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm sorry, we have to protect our hobby. We get enough restraints on us already. If it is forbidden to dive, it is forbidden to dive.

I had a co-worker when I lived in Madison, Ohio in about 1986, who came in one Monday morning disgusted with the day before. He had a nice Sunday off, just resting and puttering around.

Then he happened to look out his front window and there was a stranger in his yard metal detecting, leaving a mess. He confronted the guy and the guy argued with him that he'd had the right to do it.

It was before and around this time when it seems like everywhere got ultra restrictive on where we could hunt = "No Metal Detecting" signs. One of the things which drove me out of the hobby for the 25 years til my return, was the 3 times I was tapped on the shoulder by county cops, and various others accosting me in public parks.

I will agree to an extent. What are the rules in making it prohibited to dive in? It is illegal to dive the Detroit River, for most people. You can read the law and find a LEGAL way to be able to dive.
Not saying this is your case but every law is different and has different wording.

However if it is forbidden period. I agree, don't try it.

I totally agree we have to protect our rights. That is why I went to court and have had all citations I have been given dismissed.

I refuse to be bullied by anyone, including police officers.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're not diving, you're simply swimming. :laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm. I've never googled nighthawk! Anyway, do it at night when the folks that would get upset for you breaking the no diving rule are sleeping.

The o.p states diving is not permitted. You suggest doing it at night. No risk for you ehh?

Maybe a lighted dive flag will fix any legal issues.

OP
OP
T

Tatlock

Jul 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Charlie P. The Dragonfly could be an option.

OP
OP
T

Tatlock

Jul 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply ScubaDetector. They have a valid reason for banning divers. The lake is one of a few remaining sites were a certain species of crayfish can be found, and the aim is to protect their numbers from reducing.

Jul 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know I'm new here, and me words ain't worth a rats arse... Nowever (heh)...

While it might be a hobby, it's a pirate's life for most. There is no denying it.

Also, I think that's a 4th Infantry Patch, yes? I served as a military brat (heh) in the cold war. My father being XO for 4th Infantry, Nuclear Combat, Wiesbaden Germany.

Either way. Thanks for kicking ass.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the reply ScubaDetector. They have a valid reason for banning divers. The lake is one of a few remaining sites were a certain species of crayfish can be found, and the aim is to protect their numbers from reducing.

A side scan sonar finds iron. Not silver or gold. If diving is illegal no matter what then nobody here should encourage you to break the law. A couple of options. Google Trident drone. It is an underwater one and still hasn't shipped. I am still waiting for mine.

Since it isn't that deep they also make a waterproof camera that connects to a laptop.

You can't blow away the silt without disturbing the crayfish. I don't have a solid answer

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with the Garrett AT-Pro
10ft dept
sold Detector Great company
Call if you have any questions
dennis

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I would go with the Garrett AT-Pro
10ft dept
sold Detector Great company
Call if you have any questions
dennis

And what is he going to do with it? Lake is 12' deep, he can't dive and if he uses that machine he will drown it and void the warranty. You are talking a lot of hard work and a major pain.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find another spot to hunt. The only way to hunt is the way that they ask you not to. Move on to greener pastures.

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....How about a "Special recovery Permit" ....... Other Items may have been recovered in that way previously ? ......OR...... The powers that be , may be more interested in hiding something (treasure, Flux capacitor, Hoffa) than the safety of divers . Weren't you looking for lost jewelry from that last fishing trip ? Sure ! I'll agree to a "Hold Harmless" agreement !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread