Cannon Ball question

Honestevil

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a cannon ball that is 12lbs and 4.18 inches in diameter. it has a 12 on it, i assume that is the weight. i did weigh it and it does indeed weigh 12lbs. curious to know if its the real deal or just a paper weight. thanks in advance for any help. it does have something inside of it that moves if that helps. cannon ball.jpg

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A number on it would indicate it is a scale weight.

OP
OP
H

Honestevil

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mill ball?
any seams of any kind?

i do not see any seams on it, there is something inside of it i know for sure. there is a 12 on 1 side and on the other there is a circular groove, like that is where it was filled and sealed perhaps

OP
OP
H

Honestevil

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is also a circular groove on it possibly where it was filled with whatever may be inside of it and perhaps sealed

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to Treasure Net!

Can you post a pic of the circular groove which may be a fuse hole? If it is a fuse hole where a fuse would be screwed into it, then it is likely a cannon ball. Also, it is likely that "TheCannonballGuy", a member here and authority on Cannon Balls and Cannons, will post a reply soon.

Frank

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a shot put once that was filled with mercury maybe yours is the same...d2

OP
OP
H

Honestevil

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure Net!

Can you post a pic of the circular groove which may be a fuse hole? If it is a fuse hole where a fuse would be screwed into it, then it is likely a cannon ball. Also, it is likely that "TheCannonballGuy", a member here and authority on Cannon Balls and Cannons, will post a reply soon.

Frank

cannon 2.jpg

Here is the circular groove

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Honestevil

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is something else inside of it, almost want to say it is another ball of some sort, there is no rattling, so its not smaller weights and it does not sound like sand. it may very well be a shot put ball, there's definite dings on it. i know it has been in the house for over 40 yrs as it came with the house. i dont have any other info on how old it may be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread