Headed to the Georgia Coast

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey folks, I'm headed to Jekyll Island next week. I know law does not allow metal detecting on the island but I was wondering if there are other beaches/areas close by where it is allowed and whether specific permission is allowed. I'll have my grandchildren with me and would like to do some beach detecting with them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... Jekyll Island next week. I know law does not allow metal detecting on the island ....

Is every beach on that island state-administered ? (ie.:state beaches) ? And might only the GA state park rule @ 'no md'rs' apply only @ land parks ? Or does it extend to their beaches too ? Because in CA, it only applies to land parks. No one has ever come out and carded beach md'rs for the ages of coins found on state park beaches. Might GA be the same "in effect" scenario ?

I'll bet people have (gasp) md'd beaches there.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is every beach on that island state-administered ? (ie.:state beaches) ? And might only the GA state park rule @ 'no md'rs' apply only @ land parks ? Or does it extend to their beaches too ? Because in CA, it only applies to land parks. No one has ever come out and carded beach md'rs for the ages of coins found on state park beaches. Might GA be the same "in effect" scenario ?

I'll bet people have (gasp) md'd beaches there.

Jekyll is a state park. I believe the beaches are actually posted. It's a definite no-no there. Not sure about other beaches in GA.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jekyll is a state park. I believe the beaches are actually posted. It's a definite no-no there. Not sure about other beaches in GA.

The solution is simple. Have a buddy toss a silver ring as far as he can, while your back is turned. Then he runs a Craigslist L&F ad for "lost ring". You print out the ad, and go look for the ring.

All joking aside: A friend of mine here in CA lives near some federal beach. Very very few beaches here are federal, but one near him happens to be. One day he responded to a CL lost-ring ad with a reward posted. He chatted with the gal to prepare to go to hunt for it. But then when she said the name of the beach, it occurred to him "oh no, that's such & such beach".

So he conferred with several of us in his hunting circle on a local forum of "how can I do this ?". He fretted about trying to get permission. Since, after all, it's a legitimate hunt. Or perhaps just print out the ad and take it with him to show if some busy body said something. In the end, he decided to just go. And he purposed in his mind to START at the fringes of her zone, before zero-ing in on where her beach blanket had been. Ie.: take his time to "be thorough".

In the end, even though he was there for an hour or more, no one said so much as "boo" to him. So we all got a good laugh out of that, wondering "what's to stop someone from just running a lost ad, and going out to look for something ?"

Kuznec

Greenie
Jul 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The solution is simple. Have a buddy toss a silver ring as far as he can, while your back is turned. Then he runs a Craigslist L&F ad for "lost ring". You print out the ad, and go look for the ring.

All joking aside: A friend of mine here in CA lives near some federal beach. Very very few beaches here are federal, but one near him happens to be. One day he responded to a CL lost-ring ad with a reward posted. He chatted with the gal to prepare to go to hunt for it. But then when she said the name of the beach, it occurred to him "oh no, that's such & such beach".

So he conferred with several of us in his hunting circle on a local forum of "how can I do this ?". He fretted about trying to get permission. Since, after all, it's a legitimate hunt. Or perhaps just print out the ad and take it with him to show if some busy body said something. In the end, he decided to just go. And he purposed in his mind to START at the fringes of her zone, before zero-ing in on where her beach blanket had been. Ie.: take his time to "be thorough".

In the end, even though he was there for an hour or more, no one said so much as "boo" to him. So we all got a good laugh out of that, wondering "what's to stop someone from just running a lost ad, and going out to look for something ?"

He would have written a note from his mother as a permit with himself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions