Yellow Devils

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Watch out for them yellow jackets while your out and about ,seems like in places there really populated this year. Dont know how many i been running from this year,getting to old for them devils, they bite and sting at the same time. i can handle the timber rattlers but them little bees are flat out mean. just a heads up for you guys.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out for them yellow jackets while your out and about ,seems like in places there really populated this year. Dont know how many i been running from this year,getting to old for them devils, they bite and sting at the same time. i can handle the timber rattlers but them little bees are flat out mean. just a heads up for you guys.

Wow they bite too? Those yellow jackets don't have the barbed stingers like honey bees so they can also sting repeatedly too!!!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
We have a big black and white-striped weasel working our large backyard each morning. I don't want him out there; but, its a trade-off. He digs up hundreds/thousands of grubs and tears into those ground-nesting yellowjackets with gusto!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yellow jackets around here get the quarter stick treatment.....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We've been so wet the ground wasps/yellow jackets have been low count this year.

I tangled with a nest of white-faced hornets years ago when working on my roof (they had a football sized nest under the eves I hadn't noticed) and I ran off the roof once they started their attack. At first I thought I has sliced my hand on the aluminum flashing but when I pulled back I saw a half dozen wasps biting and stinging - I actually saw the stingers under my skin sliding round n that moment of dumb-struck WTF!

By luck the house was on a hill and the back was lower that the front with a dormer. I got stung and bit many, many times - mostly my right hand and arm. I looked like Popeye for several days.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've been so wet the ground wasps/yellow jackets have been low count this year.

I tangled with a nest of white-faced hornets years ago when working on my roof (they had a football sized nest under the eves I hadn't noticed) and I ran off the roof once they started their attack. At first I thought I has sliced my hand on the aluminum flashing but when I pulled back I saw a half dozen wasps biting and stinging - I actually saw the stingers under my skin sliding round n that moment of dumb-struck WTF!

By luck the house was on a hill and the back was lower that the front with a dormer. I got stung and bit many, many times - mostly my right hand and arm. I looked like Popeye for several days.

haha I've been Popeye'd before as well, from a paper wasp. Mowing under a bush that had a large ass nest in it. tagged me all the way up my arm....must have run out of venom by the time it got to my shoulder cause my forearm was the only thing that was swollen.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yikes! And I've only been watching for copperheads....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Snakes are no worry around here. Very few are poisonous or even mildly aggressive. We have a couple huge milk snakes and garter snakes I encourage to stay around the garden and barn. And one big 'ol rat snake about five feet long I only saw once in our hayloft but left him carry on his work.

Ticks, on the other hand, are becoming the major concern. First it was Lyme Disease (my Wife and dog both tested positive & were treated) and now we now have a second disease (Powassan virus) that is fatal in several recent cases. It causes encephalitus/brain swelling and coma.

I can see the snakes so they don't worry me. The ticks are almost invisible in the fields and woods.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions