Working a Construction Permission?

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. As many of you know I've been working a recent construction permission where a home was demolished. I've done pretty well with a few keeper coins but, have covered the ground pretty thoroughly and may be out of good signals. I was considering going back there around dusk this evening with a steel rake and after removing some of the landscape blocks and bricks scattered about loosening up some of the mounded dirt and raking the crap out of certain spots to see if I can bring out a few more keepers. I reckon the property owner would not object to me cleaning and organizing some of the debris covering his lot which will likely be for sale pretty soon. Anyone else ever gone to this extent for a few extra pull tabs!:laughing7: Actually after getting the 1859 Fatty out of here I was hoping to see if there just might be a few more coins dating back into that era laying around that I haven't been able to get a signal on due to iron or some other trash masking them or perhaps their position or too deep? Any thoughts? I know right now it's too hot to hunt so I figure night time would be a good time to stir up the dirt a bit. Less traffic driving by as well and the area I would be concentrating on is probably 20+ feet from the road. Ya' know we's all crazy for treasure, right?:tongue1:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love demolition sites; I have a friend that works with Habitat and when they do a demo, he gets me permission to hunt the lot.
I think that anything you do to clean up the site would be a worthy endeavor, both for your hunting and to help the owner present a nicer lot to sell.

I think that you are on the right track; I'd probably pull out any iron in the high probability areas (porches, walkways, traffic avenues, clotheslines, under old trees, etc) and keep doing so until the targets died down. Good Luck!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pounding and re pounding a hot spot is tempting. I have done this many times and sometimes have luck. I don't know if raking will do much unless you are removing some iron. I would expand the area you have found good stuff, try reswinging the hottest spots but incredibly slow and from different angles, finally assuming a lot of iron, is hit a 5'x5' area and dig all iron to see if anything is masked. If no luck with these, time to move on. Good luck!

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pounding and re pounding a hot spot is tempting. I have done this many times and sometimes have luck. I don't know if raking will do much unless you are removing some iron. I would expand the area you have found good stuff, try reswinging the hottest spots but incredibly slow and from different angles, finally assuming a lot of iron, is hit a 5'x5' area and dig all iron to see if anything is masked. If no luck with these, time to move on. Good luck!

I attempted just what you said except for removing all the iron targets tonight. Got some clad and not much else. I think this little lot is about dried up unless they come in with heavy equipment and move the dirt around some more which I will keep my eye on for certain. I am pleased with my goodies from the spot so off to greener pastures.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread