Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of one forum that has a membership base of 3,813 member, but only 4 or 5 members actively contribute. The rest are mere bumps on the log. Makes you wonder two things .. What was the purpose of joining, and what is the purpose of keeping the forum active? I know of another smaller one with 293 members and there are literally only 2 that actively participate. There are a lot of lurkers on both .. but what are they lurking?

That's why the forum I just provided the link to will be better and there's already 4 of the best posters who switched over. It's Summer and we all hunt fields so we just can't kickstart the place right now.... but we will!

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why the forum I just provided the link to will be better and there's already 4 of the best posters who switched over. It's Summer and we all hunt fields so we just can't kickstart the place right now.... but we will!

I think the link got :censored: .. I must have missed it!

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also a member of the other metal detecting forum. I like it because of its Canadian slant. I like Treasure net but for a different reason. The variety of topics and participation is far greater here because there are so many members from all over.

I participate in both forums but am quite hesitant to discuss certain things. The reason for this is the following. This is a quote from our provincial government website.

"Can I search for coins?

If you are looking for old coins, or metal detecting in a place where one could reasonably assume that old coins might be found then this would be a contravention of the Special Places Protection Act. All artifacts in situ (coins included) are the property of the province of Nova Scotia. Additionally, any digging or removal of items would disturb the context of archaeological sites. Because coins can be dated accurately they can be very important clues to the age of a particular archaeological site such as an old homestead or shipwreck. If artifacts are removed then in addition to being illegal, we lose the context information that is so important to interpreting a site."

Provincial government owns it all so don't even look for it. The history in this province is well documented. I think its ridiculous not to be able to look for old coins with a metal detector at some random old homestead. Can't even look for them much less post what you have or have not found.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the link got :censored: .. I must have missed it!

TreasureNet rules and terms.

"You may not.... Post links to competing forums in regards to Treasure Hunting."

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Doc, remember me? Krose from Treasure Quest. Hope you are doing well. There are a few cross over members here from TQ. Good to have you here too.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also a member of the other metal detecting forum. I like it because of its Canadian slant. I like Treasure net but for a different reason. The variety of topics and participation is far greater here because there are so many members from all over.

I participate in both forums but am quite hesitant to discuss certain things. The reason for this is the following. This is a quote from our provincial government website.

"Can I search for coins?

If you are looking for old coins, or metal detecting in a place where one could reasonably assume that old coins might be found then this would be a contravention of the Special Places Protection Act. All artifacts in situ (coins included) are the property of the province of Nova Scotia. Additionally, any digging or removal of items would disturb the context of archaeological sites. Because coins can be dated accurately they can be very important clues to the age of a particular archaeological site such as an old homestead or shipwreck. If artifacts are removed then in addition to being illegal, we lose the context information that is so important to interpreting a site."

Provincial government owns it all so don't even look for it. The history in this province is well documented. I think its ridiculous not to be able to look for old coins with a metal detector at some random old homestead. Can't even look for them much less post what you have or have not found.

Totally un-Koof!.
Tho I can see where the law would be "in reason".

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Upnorth42 Your province might be the future in the US too. We also, as you might know, have an Antiquities Act that agencies seem to have a neurotic need to re-interpret to their benefit. I sometimes wonder if they ever read it. Unlike our 2nd Amendment who's interpretation depends on who's reading it, the Antiquities Act is fairly clear. At least it won't take a constitutional Convention to change it. No politics intended.
It's one thing in my view wanting stop divots in a park or playground but in public lands BLM or forest lands if treasure hunters don't find it probably it will never be found. Where's the fun in that?
Even defining ownership if something is lost. Now ownership is never lost. Am I supposed to run news paper adds and radio announcements to attempt finding the original owner? Or do I wait to be ambushed.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"You may not.... Post links to competing forums in regards to Treasure Hunting."

Thank you for this direction. I didn't know. I guess I didn't consider it competitive, but I understand.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As a volunteer Moderator on CMD you already know my opinion on why the forum closed down Jim... one bad apple has a tendency to spoil the bunch! :BangHead:

Folks need not be shy when it comes to posting their finds and should be encouraged to share all of their finds be them good or mediocre.

This can be said to be true for all metal detecting sites not just the Canadian and American sites.

When I first became a member here on Tnet in 2010,my finds were abysmal, but the membership supported and encouraged me to persevere. :thumbsup:

So for this, I would like to thank all metal detecting websites,

Dave
aka 'the flapping chicken' :laughing7:

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just joined a forum to learn how to pull a stuck flywheel with a harmonic puller and impact wrench. Got great help and got it off and exposed the stator. I rebuilt a transmission once by watching videos on line lol.
As long as I do not advertise those forums here I will not have any trouble 8-)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No kidding, You would think the people that have been around forever posting would know

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No kidding, You would think the people that have been around forever posting would know

So you can mention and talk about other forums but not post the links? And no I haven't spent my 10 years here studying the rules to make sure I never posted a link that fit the context of the thread, but broke the rules in the process.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you can mention and talk about other forums but not post the links? And no I haven't spent my 10 years here studying the rules to make sure I never posted a link that fit the context of the thread, but broke the rules in the process.

50 lashes across the bare back with a wet noodle for you .. Bad boy!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I find a lot of inspiration and information here, and I try to share that point with newcomers. If you don't participate, it's your loss. I feel like I'm getting to know some of the folks here as friends in the hobby, and that only happens as we share the online experiences together and with each other. I appreciate that sense of community.

Is there another forum you consider worth also being a member of for treasure hunting and/or metal detecting? I'd be interested in knowing that, but I'm very happy being at "home" here!

You took the words right out of my keyboard! I learned so much my first month that I felt I could invest in membership and I ordered from one of the vendors already. Good, nice people on this site. Going to visit a detectors club next week. All because I googled bottle identification and was led to Tnet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you look at the lurkers versus the members you always have a lot of people just here for the information and nothing at all to contribute. That is google I suppose a lot of people just lurking,
I write daily on this website which I enjoy.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did not write the rules but what is the point in having a site for a specific thing and then have people post on your site a link to another site like yours? I reckon that was the thinking behind it. We used to have people come in to just try to mine members for their site so I guess why that rule is enforced but we do not go ballistic over it and am defiantly not giving 50 lashes with a wet noodle :whip2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread