MUDSLINGER

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom in Cal the more we leaf through old documents and flyers we stumble upon interesting clues; you certainly took it to the next step by tracking down an eye witness. Congrats a great example for the rest of us to follow.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Virgin country picnic sites that started usage in 1880s and ceased all operations by the mid 1920s. Every single "penny/dime/quarter" signal are heart-stoppers. Since, by definition, can't be newer than mid 1920s. Doh ! And zero junk (aside from a few nuisance bullet shells), since there was never any structures there, and since it predates aluminum. Talk about Christmas come early ! :)
... and then you wake up.

Seriously... that would indeed be a dream site. How many like that have you detected?

[Edit: I posted that before I read the rest of your amazing story! I am envious.]

Last edited:

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Here in the deserts of Southern California , I simply begin walking into the desert . A mind boggling find was just outside of Joshua Tree ( now) National Park. Had my custom headphone mixer , music in one ear and the tones in the other , just ambling about looking at the wildflowers and Animal scat ..... I'm in the middle of the desert mind you when I find a 1928 Dodge Brothers gas peddle mounted to 18 inches of oak plank . THATS what turns ME on .

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Here in the deserts of Southern California , I simply begin walking into the desert . A mind boggling find was just outside of Joshua Tree ( now) National Park. Had my custom headphone mixer , music in one ear and the tones in the other , just ambling about looking at the wildflowers and Animal scat ..... I'm in the middle of the desert mind you when I find a 1928 Dodge Brothers gas peddle mounted to 18 inches of oak plank . THATS what turns ME on .

I miss my days wandering in the deserts of Arizona. We'd run across Navaho camps and spot pottery frags, shell casings, and other interesting stuff while searching for peyote! Ha Ha!:headbang:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the pre-internet days of the very late 1980s/early 1990s, I was at the library leafing through their local history files. That is printed resources like pamphlets and brochures-type-stuff, that's too small to be considered "books" for the regular library shelves. And over the years, they get alphabetized and filed in manila folders in file-cabinets.

As I was going through the local-history section, I stumbled on to a thin paper-pack booklet of perhaps 25 pages. It was on the History of Gonzales, CA. It had been written at the time of that city's 100th anniversary, in 1976. At that time, in 1976, several long-time ranching family patriarchs and aldermen old-timers had gotten together to write their memoirs of early life in that city. Most of it was common knowledge stuff. Like when the railroad came to town, how the town got its name, blah blah. But then there was a few pages on "social life in early Gonzales". Which talked about the various fraternal lodges, recreational pursuits, etc... And a sentence alluding to "picnics in such & such canyon". And the next sentence saying that "... as of 1926, such & such other new site became the location for picnics".

I got out my topo maps, studied that canyon name, but found that it was MILES LONG. Hence I'd need more precise info. I asked a few people from that town, but no one knew anything about it. Then I looked at the contributing authors names in the front flyleaf. About 5 names of those who had apparently been old-timers in 1976. Hmmm, is it possible that any of them are still around ~15 yrs. later ? I went through the phone book and one by one found no such name, etc... When I got to the very last name, I found a perfect match in the phone book. Cold called and someone answered the phone!

From the sound of the voice, a very elderly man. I explained that I was a history buff doing research, and wondered if he could shed like on mention of picnics in such & such canyon. He described the exact bend in the road, and from there, a certain dirt road that goes another 1/2 mile out into a draw canyon, etc.... And with that description, we found it.

We found out someone had been there before us (long story) but we don't know who they are and what they found. They certainly missed a lot :)

Awesome story Tom! Thanks!

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly urban and suburban sites is where my goodies come from. Seldom do I find anything good at rural sites, mostly pieces of farm implements, and a lot of ferrous material. I have found the odd coin or relic here and there though, in the middle of nowhere which really makes me wonder how it got out there in the first place.

Ever hunt the cavalry camp just outside of Cleburne?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ideal spot is any spot where the property owner says "no one has ever metal detected it".

Does not matter "where"...

Could be a dirt parking lot... a beach... a yard... a field... a wherever.

I don't even care if all I find is trash.

A story is spoken to me through what I find... even if just trash.

Another notch is made... and another spot is experienced.

At the end I know / learned.

Having said that...

The beach is my home away from home.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parks and the beach seem to be the best for me but I would like to get a shot at some old cellars and old campsites that might have been missed or previously unavailable. Working with a friend who has knowledge and friendships with families around the area . Hoping that he will get us into some areas that have been off-limits before. Good to have extra machines to loan out!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like colonial sites, especially the type where the houses are long gone and nothing was built over them.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the "hunted out" site. If I am told it is hunted out and that nothing is there, I MUST go find something of value! NOTHING in this hobby is more satisfying than to find something at a site the EXPERTS say is hunted out. Second would be doing something like Tom does in post #17. RESEARCH! ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beaches, but I don't live anywhere near one. The next best thing is school tot lots as they tend to have less trash. I have found gold, silver, and a 1600 y.o. Roman coin in school tot lots.

Got an old high school in an even older neighborhood a half block from where I now live. Despite the insane level of trash, this has potential. So this has me excited.
Remove the layers of trash no one else would then REAP the rewards due you! ╦╦Ç

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the "hunted out" site. If I am told it is hunted out and that nothing is there, I MUST go find something of value! NOTHING in this hobby is more satisfying than to find something at a site the EXPERTS say is hunted out. Second would be doing something like Tom does in post #17. RESEARCH! ╦╦Ç

Ok I admit it...

I also like it when they say its hunted out :P

Makes me want to detect just the same :)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my research tools....

Stage.JPG ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
MUDSLINGER

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I like a river bank that runs through the woods and had an old homestead at the top. Sometimes an old trash pile on the bank gives it away. Having said that; here in Florida that is difficult to find. I would love to find a Spanish real before I retire back to Indiana in Oct.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I like a river bank that runs through the woods and had an old homestead at the top. Sometimes an old trash pile on the bank gives it away. Having said that; here in Florida that is difficult to find. I would love to find a Spanish real before I retire back to Indiana in Oct.
Mud.... you have a peak hurricane season coming up. Those "old farts" (sorry, I'm one too) walking the beaches aren't looking for shells, they're looking for those coins from the 1715 fleet that show up along the beach down by Sebastian Inlet, Brevard County. Go get some! ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Long ago it was CW battle sites. Later it was Gold panning, later it was old abandoned homesteads and today it is old houses, around large trees , and parks.
I guess pretty soon it will be wherever I can roll a wheelchair.:laughing7: I may have to have a "Hearing Ear" dog to alert me to the BEEPS.:BangHead:
Marvin

EDIT: Beaches when I get to go to one.:icon_thumleft:

Marv, hook up you're detector so it gives you an electric shock at each target. You will soon be CURED of this nonsense! ╦╦Ç

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I like a river bank that runs through the woods and had an old homestead at the top. Sometimes an old trash pile on the bank gives it away.

Same, I found one once, right on a river bank in the woods, produced around 100 buttons, 20 coppers and 1 half real. Abandoned around 1800. Haven't found a site like that since.

OP
OP
MUDSLINGER

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same, I found one once, right on a river bank in the woods, produced around 100 buttons, 20 coppers and 1 half real. Abandoned around 1800. Haven't found a site like that since.
Sounds fantastic especially in November when the mosquitos are gone and the vegetation is dead. I just want one capped bust anything.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
One of my research tools....

View attachment 1481785 ╦╦Ç

When you can find stage stops on private land, that no one else has had the b*lls to find, research, and access, are some of the best spots. I've found a few virgin stage stops in my 40 yrs. TALK ABOUT FUN ! Seateds, a few gold coins, etc... :occasion14:

But the obvious and easy-to-hit and the well-documented "colorful" ones will often have already been exploited. Low-hanging-fruit :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread