My girlfriend... Ugh!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When they speak to you, stop everything you are doing and listen closely. That soft voice belies the messages, and you should consider it the equivalent of a DI screaming in your face.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There's another reason to go detecting:hello2:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just make it a habit to say "yes, dear" all the time. Whether you are listening or not.

THE ADMIRAL tells things to the cats and dog that I guess she expects them to repeat or remind me. But since She speaks to them all the time I often miss the message.

It's a woman thing. They feel obligated to fill in dead air space instead of just sitting quietly.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What? Did you say something Terry?

If her name was Pearl.... You would have "Mutter of Pearl" .

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
"Just make it a habit to say "yes, dear" all the time. Whether you are listening or not."

Don't do that Terry, because you will be tested on that information at a later date. ;)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a very quiet fellow, just ask Pat!

I guess my curse is that I'm a touch typist and can rail away on here commenting and posting.

My oldest friends are in North Carolina, and when I visit (which becomes rare now), the wife prattles on and on and on. She's an alcoholic, heavy Southern accent, and mumbles - but insists on talking to me 24/7, and I can't even understand what she's saying.

Some people just make noise, and that's all.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Men and women are wired different. That's just the way it is. You could apologize to her and let her know you didn't mean to ignore her, that you just didn't realize she was directly talking to you. Whatever smooth talking thing you can come up with. Or you could tell her I said to get used to it and let her read my last few threads so she learns how to play the game! LOL! Because honestly, it's going to happen from time to time on both sides. Don't sweat the small stuff. I know its frustrating, but its part of the growing together experience. I'm glad you have a place to vent. Everyone needs to vent sometimes.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They also talk in paragraphs or pages when a sentence or two would do.
luvsdux

uni

Dec 12, 2014
NW Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If God had created a woman first...He could have taken the rest of the week off!

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Here is the thing, most of the time, a response isnt required because you understand what she is talking about. However, you need to give one anyway. Make it a habit. Nobody likes the feeling of being ignored(even if they are not).

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just nod, smile and say Mhmmm and my wife keeps on going.

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, as a woman who tends to be introverted, I commend you on tolerating that kind of thing in the first place. One thing I have trouble tolerating is a person who talks a lot, but actually says very little that's actually meaningful or important. Maybe she feels "unheard" or unimportant somehow, and that is the reason for the chattiness? I dunno. I've been trying to figure out what is really behind chattiness for a long time. When my eldest daughter was a teenager she hit a chatty streak. I thought I was going to go deaf. I feel for you.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will say this about my GF - we been together for 20 yrs - I was married twice before (wont do that again)
and they both hated my detecting
one now lets me hunt when ever and where ever I want - I think i'll keep her

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 30 years of marriage, all I hear is ocean noises.

I asked her once why she was always talking to the dogs and her reply was......" They listen"

HH, RN

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my ears bleed sometimes

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Many years ago my late Aunt Rowena (North Carolina = very heavy accent if you can imagine) told me this:

"Roger, sometimes my legs hurt so bad I don't think they got no nerves in them"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread