Nightmare ring return.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Flashback, 1988. Young woman swimming at a lake loses her class ring moves to another state. 2015, said lake gets drained, an ambitious metal detectorist using his trusty CTX 3030 gets a 12-01 and digs a beautiful stainless steel class ring. Using his great detective skills, he finds the woman who lost the ring some 27 years ago, on a social media site.

He contacts her and get skepticism at first. He produces no pictures to ensure he has the right person. A back and forth exchange goes on for years. Her saying she will be in the area. Then she wants it shipped to her. Nothing seems to pan out. Cut to 2017, he finally sends a pic of the ring. She is overjoyed and wants it back. She gives the times that she works. He asks if she lives locally where he lives. That was a week ago.

This is my first ring return and this is really making me sorry I even tried. My father said I went above and beyond trying to return this. I think this will be my last ring return IF it happens.

Frustrated!

Be warned!

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After you told her that you had it + where it had been found and she balked, your moral obligations were over in my mind. :thumbsup:

12-01, huh. That's interesting.

btw, don't let this single experience sour you on returns. My returns have been my best and most intense experiences in metal detecting.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Flashback, 1988. Young woman swimming at a lake loses her class ring moves to another state. 2015, said lake gets drained, an ambitious metal detectorist using his trusty CTX 3030 gets a 12-01 and digs a beautiful stainless steel class ring. Using his great detective skills, he finds the woman who lost the ring some 27 years ago, on a social media site.

He contacts her and get skepticism at first. He produces no pictures to ensure he has the right person. A back and forth exchange goes on for years. Her saying she will be in the area. Then she wants it shipped to her. Nothing seems to pan out. Cut to 2017, he finally sends a pic of the ring. She is overjoyed and wants it back. She gives the times that she works. He asks if she lives locally where he lives. That was a week ago.

This is my first ring return and this is really making me sorry I even tried. My father said I went above and beyond trying to return this. I think this will be my last ring return IF it happens.

Frustrated!

Be warned!

Lol, hmmm ya , finders keepers.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have had three very awesome class ring returns that were well worth it. I also returned a gold one to a lady that I am sure did nothing but contribute to her addiction problem. that one I regret but that was just one. the others were so excited to get their ring back, two of them were in disbelief that someone actually returned them. so don't let one determine your future actions.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moral of the story======You found it, it is yours.
M

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I would have made a second attempt after the first conversation. She didn't seem that interested in the beginning and I would have left it at that......

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Frustrated!

Be warned!

Thanx for the play-by-play. Yes I had one go like that with a gold high school ring. ~ 2 hr. drive from where I lived, but told the gal I'd be passing through her part of the state in the following week. A cursory half-hearted agreement on her end to arrange to have me drop it off, passing through her city. Told her I'd give her a "heads-up" when the time drew close of the exact timing , so a rendezvous place could be arranged. The night before, and the morning of, I emailed to say the time I'd be passing through her town. Got no reply

A week or so later, finally got a reply. We agreed she could send a SASE, or just wait till I'm passing through that part of the state next time. Never heard anything thereafter. WTF ? Am I under an obligation to send it postage paid by me ? I suppose I could, but figured "the balls in her court". Hmmmm

I have had three very awesome class ring returns that were well worth it. I also returned a gold one to a lady that I am sure did nothing but contribute to her addiction problem. that one I regret but that was just one. the others were so excited to get their ring back, two of them were in disbelief that someone actually returned them. so don't let one determine your future actions.

Also a great post. I've had some heart-warming fun "who-dunnit-mystery-solved" ones like that too. So it's hit and miss.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanx for the play-by-play. Yes I had one go like that with a gold high school ring. ~ 2 hr. drive from where I lived, but told the gal I'd be passing through her part of the state in the following week. A cursory half-hearted agreement on her end to arrange to have me drop it off, passing through her city. Told her I'd give her a "heads-up" when the time drew close of the exact timing , so a rendezvous place could be arranged. The night before, and the morning of, I emailed to say the time I'd be passing through her town. Got no reply

A week or so later, finally got a reply. We agreed she could send a SASE, or just wait till I'm passing through that part of the state next time. Never heard anything thereafter. WTF ? Am I under an obligation to send it postage paid by me ? I suppose I could, but figured "the balls in her court". Hmmmm

Also a great post. I've had some heart-warming fun "who-dunnit-mystery-solved" ones like that too. So it's hit and miss.
I found a checkbook lying in the middle of a dirt road in the middle of now where Arkansas. inside of it were credit cards, driver's license and other things of importance. This was twenty years ago and I called the owner, a lady in Texas to verify that i had her belongings then I sent them to her. never got a thank you, nothing but I did my part so oh well.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stainless steel ring? cheapskate

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
keep that one. Do it again next time. One bad apple...

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id have asked her to come get it one time, if no bites then: :skullflag:

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get discouraged for doing the right thing. My first ring return was a gold high school ring. Found it in Pompano beach. I tried googling the school and couldn't find it while we were there. After returning home I realized that the way it was written on the ring was confusing and tried another way. Found the school and it turns out that it was right across the street from the grocery store we visited several times that week. The owner said that she worked all summer to save 700$ to pay for it and lost it a week before I found it. I'm sure that this owner will be just as thrilled to get hers back after all it means more to them than it ever would to us. And you can be proud for doing the right thing.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After you told her that you had it + where it had been found and she balked, your moral obligations were over in my mind. :thumbsup:

12-01, huh. That's interesting.

btw, don't let this single experience sour you on returns. My returns have been my best and most intense experiences in metal detecting.

My returns have provided me with memories that out way most of the rubbish I dig. This woman is just a TWIT!:BangHead:

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Five or six years ago I went to do a ring recovery with a friend. Terms were we could keep anything else we found. We are on the look out for a woman's small gold ring. I find one, go to the door and show it to her. "Does it look like this?", I say jokingly. She looks at me and says...no...not it. "Let me know if you find it, this must be from the previous owners", and takes the ring and walks back in the house.
Ugh...

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ugh! I guess being stainless I'd have sent a picture early on.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Ugh! I guess being stainless I'd have sent a picture early on.

Well, I thought about that. But I kinda wanted to see the look on her face as she thought it was rotted.

Anyway, I am thinking about giving an ultimatum like, "This is my last time..." type thing.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Five or six years ago I went to do a ring recovery with a friend. Terms were we could keep anything else we found. We are on the look out for a woman's small gold ring. I find one, go to the door and show it to her. "Does it look like this?", I say jokingly. She looks at me and says...no...not it. "Let me know if you find it, this must be from the previous owners", and takes the ring and walks back in the house.
Ugh...

Hunt is over at that point. Probably would have turned the garden hose on as I left without saying a word. :cat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread