Wheat penny

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stopped at the store yesterday and while making my change the cashier quickly pulled out one of the coins and said this one is mine. I was able to get a glimpse of it and it was a wheat penny. I said hey that's my change and that I wanted it. She said nope I am going to buy it and snatched out another penny from the drawer and handed me my change. Not really a huge deal but I felt kind of ripped off. I think that the next time I go there I will pay for my items with a pile of Lincolns and let her stand there counting and sorting thru them! LOL

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably the only perk to working there.But I feel your pain.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She actually took it from your possession? And not in a playful/flirting way? Time to talk to the manager if so.

OP
OP
fish1on

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's probably the only perk to working there.But I feel your pain.

Never made it to my hands. Not that big of a deal to get manager involved it just made me a little angry. On the bright side at least the cashier recovered it.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never made it to my hands. Not that big of a deal to get manager involved it just made me a little angry. On the bright side at least the cashier recovered it.

OK, that's different. It was her call since it was in her possession and never in yours. But as you said, it was just wheat and it went to someone who will appreciate one.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, the ol' wheat and switch...

OP
OP
fish1on

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess its best to just move on and let it go.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife got back a 64 dime about a month ago in change. It had some odd dark corrosion on it that must have fooled everyone who had handled it. 1st time that has happened to anyone I know in decades.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seriously don't sweat it. Cashiers are way under paid for all the :censored: they have to put up with. Many places don't allow cashiers to buy the coins in the till. So she's lucky she can do it.

My Mom was a cashier and worked at stores that would not let her buy coins from the till. Trust me she put up with lots of mouth breathers.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep,, had the same thing happen with a silver quarter

Ouch... :BangHead:

Back in 2014 once saw a silver quarter in the cashier's drawer, she let me have it for 25 cents. Then she said that she had a ton of old half dollars, and that she can't get rid of them. I told her what they were, but she still wanted to get rid of them. I walked away with 32 walking liberty halves, for $16, one of my greatest feelings I've had in the treasure hunting hobby. I once also told a bank teller that I collect, she told me she does too, and pulled out an envelope of coins and bills she collected for herself over the past few years. It made me want to become a bank teller :laughing7:.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Ouch... :BangHead:

Back in 2014 once saw a silver quarter in the cashier's drawer, she let me have it for 25 cents. Then she said that she had a ton of old half dollars, and that she can't get rid of them. I told her what they were, but she still wanted to get rid of them. I walked away with 32 walking liberty halves, for $16, one of my greatest feelings I've had in the treasure hunting hobby. I once also told a bank teller that I collect, she told me she does too, and pulled out an envelope of coins and bills she collected for herself over the past few years. It made me want to become a bank teller :laughing7:.
My former girlfriend was the vault teller at the credit union. She'd haul in silver halves, dimes and nickels. Once she called me in to pick up 50+ solid rolls of wheats, including many 'red' rolls. She once brought home 50+ steelies in one haul. Of course, I had to marry this gal!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
My former girlfriend was the vault teller at the credit union. She'd haul in silver halves, dimes and nickels. Once she called me in to pick up 50+ solid rolls of wheats, including many 'red' rolls. She once brought home 50+ steelies in one haul. Of course, I had to marry this gal!

Working in a bank certainly has it's bonuses :laughing7:. I would probably get fired for spending more time looking for silver then doing my job. :laughing9:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are REALLY into silver hunting, get a vending machine route. You would not believe how much old change is "stolen" from dad's collection to get a can of pop! ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread