How to split finds

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

Question for you all. Looks like I will probably be going detecting with my neighbors' autistic son later this morning. He's always been interested in detecting and so he wants to try his hand at it.

Their house is from 1900, and even though it's only got a small yard, I think it'd actually be a great place to get started.

My question for you is, how would you approach splitting finds? I know there isn't a right answer, just curious to hear some opinions.

Thanks!
-Washingtonian

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats tricky....treasure splits can get tough. Last year I got a nice cob in a split and this year I gave up a nice gold pocket watch in a split. Be clear and work out the details before the hunt.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Give the kid everything.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I always just tell the property owner "You're welcome to anything I find". And I have YET to have any of them take all the stuff at the end of the hunt. Or I'll hold out a single token or silver coin at the end saying "this is one I need for my collection, can I hold on to this one?" (while pushing the rest of the coins in their direction). And never had anyone be stingy on that.

Casual like this is much more preferable. Because if you start talking "splits", it just conjurs up legal hassles, or "treasure", etc....

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you mean splitting finds with the autistic boy then I'd say give him everything to get him personally stoked about hunting. Explain that in the future he will be on his own to recover his own finds. I don't hunt where I have to do this "splits" thing because it just adds potential for misunderstandings and headaches down the road. Not good for my therapy to haggle over who get's what.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my way. At the end of the day we put everything found on a table. I get first pick and helper/owner/etc gets second pick. Back and forth until all is gone. Of course it's all agreed on before the hunt. If you give all to the helper the first time He/She will want all the second time. NO Way!
Marvin

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every permission is different. A majority of the owners just want to see what you've found. One owner asked that if I dug 2 of the same style old coin that I give him the one of lesser value. When an owner wants something, I always offer up relics and they are elated to get something that related to the houses previous owner/s. If the owner wants a 50/50 split I thanks them and move on because they are the type that will be hovering over you looking at what you pull from every plug. I have enough gear to set up another MDer and always offer the owners the chance to hunt with me. Almost every owner laughing states that if I find a fortune we split it. I have yet to dig a cache on any of those permissions, but would gladly split one.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Split? With an autistic person (child?)? Does he even know the concept of value? Give him everything. My "split" would be watching his face light up. Priceless! ╦╦Ç

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digging at a 1900's house will provide treasures of a 100 yrs. Everything might be treasures to the young lad, the coinage could be the coolest thing that comes out of the ground or the cast toy might be, one doesn't know till it all happens. The one thing that you can be assured that this might be one of those life changers for the boy, where he can be focused on something that separates him from the life's daily pressures. The finds might impress him, or not, one can only tell at the end of they day. He might be the type of person that sharing is more important than anything else, so be prepared to share everything no matter what, as you hold the cards to this deal.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Forget splitting; give all finds to the boy--at least on this first outing.
Don.......

That's a very nice gesture but do keep in mind that those with autism tend to be very "rule oriented" and might expect that all finds, every time would be his. You might serve him better by teaching sharing by laying out all the finds and each take turns picking one with him having the first pick. Everyone is unique...but generally speaking, anyway. (This autism field is more my where my experience lies than the metal detecting field.[emoji6])

I too am curious how to approach splits.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd give it all to the kid, even if I would see the best SLQ pass under my nose, he should have it all. A grateful dad might help you get new permissions...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a couple of thoughts on this...first off, what about splitting time using the detector, helping him to use it, and allowing him to keep what he finds? Take turns using the detector at regular intervals, maybe his excitement will build as he waits his turn and sees what you find.
Also, having a few friends with autistic children, I realize that each child handles things differently, as do each parent. It would probably be a good idea to check with the parent and see what their suggestion as to how to handle splitting finds. I would be worried that I gave the child a fun day and something they enjoy doing just to find out that I had upset the parents in any way.
Very well put, Sexton. ╦╦Ç

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd show up with a pocketful of dug coins that I didn't care about. I'd have a wide variety of coins from the last 100 years, including some foreign coins. Then I'd give them all to the kid at the end of the day and keep any good finds I dug up on the property. Sounds selfish, but the kid will be happy and you won't be digging in the hot sun all day and come away with jack squat.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd show up with a pocketful of dug coins that I didn't care about. I'd have a wide variety of coins from the last 100 years, including some foreign coins. Then I'd give them all to the kid at the end of the day and keep any good finds I dug up on the property. Sounds selfish, but the kid will be happy and you won't be digging in the hot sun all day and come away with jack squat.

Paraphrasing here, but are you suggesting taking advantage of a disabled person to cheat them out of finds? Or would you be giving these 'extra' coins to him in addition to the finds?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paraphrasing here, but are you suggesting taking advantage of a disabled person to cheat them out of finds? Or would you be giving these 'extra' coins to him in addition to the finds?

Give me a break. Still mad about my anti-gun comments? Too bad. Get over it.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Split? With an autistic person (child?)? Does he even know the concept of value?

No, he probably doesn't know or care what a coin is worth. That was my point. Make him happy with a pocketful of old coins instead of handing him one or two coins that you would value more than he would.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread