Concerned

dirtminer99

Jan 29, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
You name it, I have used it or owned it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ya'll is there maybe a list of people who have tried to scam others for money on metal detector sales?
I am dealing with a person from this forum who has a detector for sale and seems a bit fishy. Wont tell me where he is from or whether in the US or not. I know to go with my gut and not send random people money and I wouldn't do that. I am just kind of new here and really don't want to get taken advantage of.
Thanks

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Like any public place on the net there are good and bad people selling things.
Some sold faithfully for a long time and then something happens and all of a sudden they are ripping off everyone...I have seen that happen with dealers too.
Some are rippoffs right from the beginning, they don't last long once the word gets out but they usually manage to catch a few before that happens.
Some are great and are honest and reliable and always have been and there are usually a lot of evidence of a good track record.

There is no real list and there aren't any real protections on these forums except your own common sense so if your instinct says something is not right believe them.
First thing I would do is search their name on Google and see if anything bad pops up but even if nothing does with the behavior you have described I would just move on...but that is me.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ya'll is there maybe a list of people who have tried to scam others for money on metal detector sales?
I am dealing with a person from this forum who has a detector for sale and seems a bit fishy. Wont tell me where he is from or whether in the US or not. I know to go with my gut and not send random people money and I wouldn't do that. I am just kind of new here and really don't want to get taken advantage of.
Thanks
Go back and read your post. Ok, first rule. Follow your gut feeling. If it doesn't feel right 99.8% of the time it isn't. Doesn't matter whether it's here or not. :icon_thumright:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
A requirement of mine, before any transaction, I need name, address and phone number.. if there is a problem with that then no sale or buy.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

It is pretty simple for someone to determine who you are referring to just by clicking on your screen name and looking at your recent posts. All sellers are suppose to be Charter Members in good standing, and I see the member you are dealing with is a Charter Member. Is it that he won't tell you the information, or is it that he hasn't replied to your PM ?
If it's a case of refusal, I would pass. If it's a case that he simply hasn't responded, shoot him another PM and/or an email.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
History of a member has a lot to do with who they might be and aren't. If they've been around for ten years and post up finds or have done sales before then they have a record. Read their profile, read up on the started threads and see if they're hunting with other members and they're known. Just because they want privacy doesn't mean that they're fishy.
Put the shoe on the other foot and think of it this way, a person is new to the forum wants to buy your detector, wants to know everything about you-ah I don't think so. They have no history, and are they trying to obtain the detector without holding up their end of the bargain?

OP
OP
D

dirtminer99

Jan 29, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the responses guys - he's a new user here and I have been emailing him back and forth - He doesn't know what PayPal is and wants the money "Western Unioned" Yeah..... NO. I trace Routed the IP from his email and he's from Nigeria... Thanks Guys for the help.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the responses guys - he's a new user here and I have been emailing him back and forth - He doesn't know what PayPal is and wants the money "Western Unioned" Yeah..... NO. I trace Routed the IP from his email and he's from Nigeria... Thanks Guys for the help.

Run, do not walk. Report to admin as well.

OP
OP
D

dirtminer99

Jan 29, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats not the guy I'm talking about... another guy didn't reply to my post he only pmed me and asked for me to email him.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try getting one off Amazon or Ebay. At least there you have quite a bit of recourse if something goes wrong.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have Supporting Vendors here on the Forum. Many sell used machines, and make great deals for members. If I don't recognize the seller, I sometimes ask if they will ship the machine so I can inspect it before I send payment. I rely on my reputation as a buyer and seller here on T-Net. I would report this member to the Moderators and walk away.:coffee2:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you in phone contact? TALK to him. Also, the area code can be looked up. Have a trusted member of this net, living near-by, go have a look for you. If he will not give a phone or allow a look (even if you bluff this requirement), then you KNOW what you must do. Air guitars and air detectors cost too much. ╦╦Ç

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Please report this member to the moderators! Western Union + Nigeria=100% Scam. This needs to be reported not only for yourself, but also any other members on here who are also being targeted or are at risk to be! Thanks and thanks for posting this!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions