are you superstitious?

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
today i found a park that yeilded tons of quarters and pennies... then i noticed a pattern!

2 pennies and a quarter almost everytime buried by the water. i also spotted some other brujeria (witchcraft) items like dead chickens, etc on the coastline. i'm kinda superstitious but the coins where already in the ground and pretty much harmless in my book.

anybody else run into this kind of stuff?

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
A lot of dead stuff wash up on the coastline everyday.The coins...a cowinkadink.
I think.

OP
OP
re-tek

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
dunn1866 said:
A lot of dead stuff wash up on the coastline everyday.The coins...a cowinkadink.
I think.

well cowinkadink it aint. deffinitely a santeria thing when you find some of the things i saw today. piles of pennies with candies are another one i wont touch. i dont mind digging the ones that have been buried for a while though. unles you are in an area with lots of hispanics or haitians you may never see some of the stuff i'm talking about.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
yep after watching that Blair witch film I keep an eye out here and there and well prepared.never know what kind of cr-p you might run into.

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
Not superstitious, but cautious....thats why me packs a pistol...ya never know...they might want fresh detectorist blood to make soup or something ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ay mon I carry de mojo remover ---bang,bang,bang repeat 27 more times --- P 30 ---.22 mag semi automatic 30 rd clip --- that takes care of de living de others the good lord will take care of for me--- Ivan

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
I laugh at peoples superstitions. What a waste of time. I believe in ghosts and life beyond our planet but I am not superstitious at all.

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
In Biblical times, the Christians in the new church would buy meat from animals that had been sacrificed to pagan gods. Some people thought it was wrong, the Apostle Paul wrote in his letter to the Corinthian church that since the gods didn't exist anyway...what difference does it make.

I guess I'd go with that. I think voodoo is a load of crap anyway, so if they want to bury change during their rituals, I'd still gladly dig it up.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Superstitions is just another word for fear....fear of the unknown.

In the old days they use to bury people alive!!!!! so when they reopen the coffins the the bodies appeared to have moved, and claw marks on the coffins,hint Vampires.

Till they finally figured it out and started installing bells on crosses and tomb stones with a rope attached to it leading to the coffin(life line) If all of a suddenly you wake and find yourself in this dreaded situation... just ring the bell and they will did you up.

However there is real fear out there......many types, just have to be on guard.

Best advice: common sense

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
You can dig up all the coins you want but one pissed off practitioner of Santeria watching you disturb their ritual space would be more trouble then you could possibly imagine.

If it's buried in the ground with no markings and you happen to come across it, oh well, it's yours. Otherwise, be careful. You know they practice in your area and respect of their religious ideas will gain you more than any monetary gains would.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROFL

If I saw a Ritual going on,
I'd be there first thing the next day Detecting. :D

That's where you can find some Cool Items.

Maybe not old, But definately Cool. ;)

So I guess no I'm not Superstitious,
And would Like to be detecting there.

OP
OP
re-tek

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
Tricia said:
You can dig up all the coins you want but one pissed off practitioner of Santeria watching you disturb their ritual space would be more trouble then you could possibly imagine.

If it's buried in the ground with no markings and you happen to come across it, oh well, it's yours. Otherwise, be careful. You know they practice in your area and respect of their religious ideas will gain you more than any monetary gains would.

i think the way most of these offerings with coins work is that the person taking the coins will absorb the other person's (the one casting the coins) bad vibes/juju/spirits. since the coins are buried in the ground, i dont fear picking up anything from them. now coins (usually pennies) laying in a big pile with candies or other things are a big no-no in my book.

as far as the santero's watching the area..
i'm very doubtful of that. those guys probably sneak in at night. leaving dead animals, coconuts, guords, etc, at a city park is littering and i'm sure they rather not be watched or disturbed by other people.

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Tricia said:
So you're not at all respectful of others traditions and culture?

respect is one thing, but if you're going to go and bury money in a public park, you're asking for it to be taken.

It's public--they don't have a right to expect to be able to stake out a part of it and have no one else disturb it. If I erected a Christian shrine with some money in a basket by it I doubt it'd last very long.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
leaving money in the open or in well known spots in america is asking for it to be taken---the money used in the "rites" is money which is buried in a attempt to absorb and thus "remove" a curse ---therefore it is considered "cursed" money and those who take it take the curse upon them for their "greed"--- I would be looking out for any living folks that might be ticked off by you distrubing their "religious site" those are more dangerous in the short term in my veiw --- Ivan

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tricia said:
So you're not at all respectful of others traditions and culture?

I'm Respectfull of all peoples rights
to perform their Religons,
including wicca, Voodoo & Satanism

However, if performed on Public property
where I have the right to search it is open season.

I can't add more or this would be in the wrong Forum

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was raised by a fairly superstitious Italian-Jewish family (Oy, can we talk about guilt)?? Although I haven't adopted those beliefs, there are some things that I still adhere to, even if I'm not sure why. I will never allow a Ouja board in my home, I will never allow shoes on the table, I will never put my purse on the floor (never put $$ in a low place) and I will always throw salt over my shoulder. When I lose something important, I tie a knot and say a prayer (I've long since forgotten to which saint) and it works a good part of the time.

as for your beach finds:

It's important to be respectful of all cultures and religions, even if you don't share the beliefs. That being said, the beach is on public property, yes? I think I would be tempted to take the found change and donate it to a good cause. What good will the money do sitting on a beach??? I'm not terribly familiar with Santeria, but in my view of the world, if you were to use the money for a good cause, I think it would erase the original intention, whatever that may be. I hope that this isn't disrespectful-I just don't see how it could cause any harm.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
If you take the coins... leave a sandwich in return, to please the GODS!!!!
make sure it's real ham too.

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dunn1866 said:
If you take the coins... leave a sandwich in return, to please the GODS!!!!
make sure it's real ham too.

I think you need to make sure that the ham is Kosher, just in case ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread