Detecting and Getting Older

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a fella with some physical issues of my own and sometimes use a cane, I was heartened to see this while out digging on Sunday. There I was digging away and I look across the park and see another guy swinging away, detector in one hand and a cane in the other. Props to the fella in Ypsilanti, I have been down about my medical issues getting worse and not being able to do the stuff I love. You made me feel better about it, knowing I will still have a shot at getting out there as I get older.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that will be me some day. I already get stuck sometimes if i stay on my knees too long.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah. Gone are the days I could squat on my heels while probing and digging. I now sometimes carry a kneeling pad or just give up and kneel on the ground. I tried knee pads but they are too uncomfortable to walk around in.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a fella with some physical issues of my own and sometimes use a cane, I was heartened to see this while out digging on Sunday. There I was digging away and I look across the park and see another guy swinging away, detector in one hand and a cane in the other. Props to the fella in Ypsilanti, I have been down about my medical issues getting worse and not being able to do the stuff I love. You made me feel better about it, knowing I will still have a shot at getting out there as I get older.
Keep the faith, P. At 68, with bad back issues, I'll bet I (and some other seniors) STILL dig more than many of the younger professed "detectorists" here. ╦╦Ç

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

....I second that emotion

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great exercise, keeps you going and young! :icon_thumright:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had often thought about getting or creating something with wheels and a seat that i could push/pull out in the sports field so i could get around easier while detecting, and having a place to sit & rest when the body parts refuse to go any further.
There have been times when i wondered if i was going to be able to make it back to the truck....then if i would be able to drive home.
Lol! But thats me.
....just have to make sure the metal equipment is far enough away from the detector.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had often thought about getting or creating something with wheels and a seat that i could push/pull out in the sports field so i could get around easier while detecting, and having a place to sit & rest when the body parts refuse to go any further.
There have been times when i wondered if i was going to be able to make it back to the truck....then if i would be able to drive home.
Lol! But thats me.
....just have to make sure the metal equipment is far enough away from the detector.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk
MzBB, get a chair like I have. Three legs. Folds. And a strap for carrying across the back. It is out of the way.... till needed. ╦╦Ç

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's fun to metal detect but yeah squatting, kneeling to dig really can be a pain. If your near a beach, detecting the dry sand with a long handled scoop is the easiest. There's always coin roll hunting, thrift stores and garage sales to seek treasures as treasure hunting is a state of mind really. Or bring a youthful apprentice with you, you detect and they dig the target.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will check that out, thanks Terry!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread