Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I first got the deus, I ordered Andy's book and went thru it as well as the manual. I watched numerous videos and with my new found "knowledge," I took the Fast program and made several mods. My mods were based on what I had understood in my ignorance of how things worked together. Now ignorance doesn't mean stupid, one just doesn't know all there is to know about something. Anyways, with my less than desirable memory, ruptured brain aneurysm and several strokes afterwards 21 years ago, I press on. I did manage to find a lot of stuff, good stuff including silver but no gold so far. Then after about six or seven months went by, I kind of took a toll of what I had found etc. I didn't think that I was doing so bad but I still was struggling with finding wheaties and deeper silver. Then after my wife had me to come over to check a signal that she had with her AT GOLD and was solid on, fairly deep, the deus didn't pick it up at all. So even more research as I found the deus forum and tried to soak in what was being discussed. Now, there is a lot to be learned from these guys as they argued(discussed) what each thing actually did. I also began to understand as was pointed out that sometimes when you made an adjustment on one thing, it affected another thing. I also really gained a lot from Calabash Digger and his videos where he actually proves his point on several things. Having said that, I gained a lot of insight from several others and the programs that they were using. Originally when I got the deus, I did a lot of air testing but had since more or less quit since I had the program that I"wanted". So a couple of months ago, I did an air test on gold and silver and found my "awesome program" totally lacking, hence the digging deeper into the insights of these other successful people. I am now using full tones, have lowered my reactivity, my disc, my notch to 0, my silencer to -1, my GB to tracking and upped my sensitivity. I also dropped from 18kzt to 12 and that seemed to help somewhat in my area. The biggest problem that many newer users to these more complicated machines is that many of us really want a push a button and go machine and so we never truly understand how and why it works. Machines like the deus and many others are capable of doing awesome things "if" we are learned enough to do the right things. So it is very easy to get super frustrated with the machine just because we have it set up incorrectly for the job at hand. So now I have a much better and deeper machine that I can fine tune as needed by using a program that I am comfortable with tone wise etc. What I have my new program set at may not be exactly what a pure relic hunter would want but it is now more closely to how and what I want to hunt. And yes, I will be tweaking it here and there but now doing it with a better understanding because of the input of several of you fine individuals that have taken the time to either make videos or to respond in writing so that the many can see it and try to understand it even more. I can easily see where one detector can miss something because of how it was set up and another detector easily find the object because it was set up right. Result, I went out this morning after studying many factors brought up by several people and made the adjustments. I went back to an area and dug a couple of the deepest coins so far for me and that feels good. I just wanted to say thanks to all that have in some way or another helped me in this process with the deus. DL

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang dirtlooter, I sure wish you used more paragraph breaks cause that's a good post there.

I think that a lot of folks tend to get into a comfort zone with their settings and don't experiment enough. Ground changes, sometimes changes a Lot and Quickly. And the more complicated the machine, the easier it is to be lazy and stay with 'whats working'. The more effort we put into this, the more we'll get out of it.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not familiar with the Deus but understand your dilemma. I have had the Fisher f75 for a little over a year now and it has allot of different settings then what I am use to with the older models. I am slowly figuring it out, but like C.F. mentioned I mostly just stick with what has been working , kind of worried I might miss something if I try something different. Although sometimes in heavy iron patches I experiment with different tones which has worked for me. I would just keep experimenting.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dang dirtlooter, I sure wish you used more paragraph breaks cause that's a good post there.

I think that a lot of folks tend to get into a comfort zone with their settings and don't experiment enough. Ground changes, sometimes changes a Lot and Quickly. And the more complicated the machine, the easier it is to be lazy and stay with 'whats working'. The more effort we put into this, the more we'll get out of it.

sorry about the breaks, I struggle with a lot of things and that seems to be one of them. my wife also says I tend to run long on the sentences now. I forgot to add the fact that I hadn't really paid enough attention to GB either and now I am very conscious of the effect that it can cause. But, I am getting a lot better at considering options as I detect and not taking things for granted. I also wonder how much really great finds I have missed because of my ignorance.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your journey with the Deus. I often go back to sites I have gridded and try different settings, I mean what's there to lose???

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry about the breaks, I struggle with a lot of things and that seems to be one of them. my wife also says I tend to run long on the sentences now. I forgot to add the fact that I hadn't really paid enough attention to GB either and now I am very conscious of the effect that it can cause. But, I am getting a lot better at considering options as I detect and not taking things for granted. I also wonder how much really great finds I have missed because of my ignorance.

Just funnin ya.

And I know pretty well how much I have missed while staying in my comfort zone...a lot.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just funnin ya.

And I know pretty well how much I have missed while staying in my comfort zone...a lot.

years ago, I used to think that once someone had worked an area before you, that it had been cleaned out. I didn't really understand the many differences between machines and even just as important, the operators. Over the years I have begun to understand more and more how even subtle differences can mean a lot. In this fast paced world of today, it is easy to get sucked into the "instant results required" and just become a turn it on and go detector. It is like many other hobbies, whether bass fishing, hunting or whatever, the more you dig deeper into it, the better at it you get. So basically you can have the same machine and two different people using them and yet get different results, mainly due to experience and understanding of how the machine works.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dirtlooter you stated a lot of very important points! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dirtlooter you stated a lot of very important points! :icon_thumleft:

well, people are very quick to blame the machine for all their problems with it. true sometimes there really is a problem with it but ost of the time it is from inexperience with the machine or just plain ignorance. There are many out there that are very good with their machine(s) and prove it with their results. There are several that really understand the technical electronic functions to a much greater detail than most of us. Then you have some that just flat out do so much experimenting that they prove or disprove things themselves.
like I have already said, I am thankful that some of you share their knowledge with the rest of us. then you have people like Cruz that know how to really draw out the performance of their machine to find the finds that he and his father do. people on this forum do try to help others detect better or more confidently.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread