Old roads?

78CJ

Jan 23, 2013
Northern Mi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am somewhat conflicted on if I should search a private parcel I only have access to for a little while longer. As with others I am sure there is just not enough time. How much luck have you guys had in the past searching old roads? This parcel has a road that would have been a major connector between two villages and easily pre dates cars. I don't currently own a detector but have borrowed a cheap one once to search an old homestead.

Is it worth renting/buying one?

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
yea buy one

OP
OP

78CJ

Jan 23, 2013
Northern Mi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you recommend? I assume coins would be the most prevalent? I am sure there was probably stuff thrown off of wagons and such but doubt there is any value. I am a novice coin collector.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i use a bounty hunter time ranger

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i use to have one of those

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't buy a metal detector, it will steal your life, escape while you can :laughing7:!! Old roads are interesting, I always figured there would be a lot of stuff on them, but only found one tombac button on one. If you find a cellar hole along one, then you might have a honey hole, just take it slow and filter carefully through the iron. Good luck!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i went along old road bed one time i found a horse shoe and a bunch of parts to a stove and a blue bottle

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you recommend? I assume coins would be the most prevalent? I am sure there was probably stuff thrown off of wagons and such but doubt there is any value. I am a novice coin collector.

...."junk" will be most prevalent (treasure) and COINS / jewelry will be the icing !
Remember , many old roads were riparian like in that they moved about a bit , rarely remaining perfectly straight. An old road may have deviated for many reasons.....water courses changing , detours due to wash-outs , breakdowns left behind etc . . .
Be patient ! Pack food and water and be sure to check back here to post your finds.....and remember , you must bring enough to share . ��

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't buy a metal detector, it will steal your life, escape while you can :laughing7:!! Old roads are interesting, I always figured there would be a lot of stuff on them, but only found one tombac button on one. If you find a cellar hole along one, then you might have a honey hole, just take it slow and filter carefully through the iron. Good luck!
when I was a kid - would go on club hunts to cellar hole areas - usually they had been peppered--so while the grown ups would hit the
holes looking for left overs - I would hit the road(s) - I would always get indian heads and now and then a large cent - now and then a piece of silver
they never thought to hit the roads - so for awhile I went back to hammered cellar hole sites and did the roads - then others caught on and started doing the same - some can be trashy if near newer areas or where kids hang out - others can be loaded with shot gun shells - but you get a real old colonial one or ones
off the beaten track or private land - who knows - good luck

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somtimes bushes or different vegetation will grow around trash piles. I would look for ravines along the road at the edge of town, and bushes with piles of bottles hidden below:)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm going to jump in and be a kill-joy (I'm good at that) and say that randomly hunting "old roads" is not the best/wisest use of md'ing time. Rather than just wandering old dirt roads with a metal detector, your time is better spent md'ing where the travelers STOPPED at. Eg.: stage stops, over-night camp spots, water-holes, cellar holes, etc....

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Last weekend my father hit a colonial road, and I hit the cellar. I found a ton of buttons near the cellar, and he found a beautiful 1831 large cent and a seated dime on the road.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Last weekend my father hit a colonial road, and I hit the cellar. I found a ton of buttons near the cellar, and he found a beautiful 1831 large cent and a seated dime on the road.

But was your dad hitting the road in the proximity of the cellar hole ? Ie.: the road as-it-passes by the cellar hole ? Or was he just in the road somewhere else random far off ?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...."junk" will be most prevalent (treasure) and COINS / jewelry will be the icing !
Remember , many old roads were riparian like in that they moved about a bit , rarely remaining perfectly straight. An old road may have deviated for many reasons.....water courses changing , detours due to wash-outs , breakdowns left behind etc . . .
Be patient ! Pack food and water and be sure to check back here to post your finds.....and remember , you must bring enough to share . ��
Also, don't limit your search to just the road itself. The brush etc. might have been farther from where it is today. Try working out 20 or so feet from either side. Think, if something fell off a cart or wagon where would it end up? If people were lightening loads they'd throw it off to the side not in the middle of the road. Just my experiences talking hope it helps you out! Have you thought about Craigs list or pawn shops for a used machine? Some good deals to be had on Craigs list. If all lese fails Fleabay is ok.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
But was your dad hitting the road in the proximity of the cellar hole ? Ie.: the road as-it-passes by the cellar hole ? Or was he just in the road somewhere else random far off ?

He found them within thirty feet of where the road was from the cellar hole. I am guessing that is why he found stuff there. I tried far off away from the cellar hole a few days later, and found nothing except for shotgun shells. Then I went in the woods between the road and cellar hole and barn, and found five buttons in half an hour. Stay near the old homesites when metal detecting an old road.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
He found them within thirty feet of where the road was from the cellar hole. ...

Bingo. Then in my mind's eyes: That's the same as cellar-hole hunting. Ie.: the vicinity of a cellar hole. Not "random old roads".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread