To Dig or not to Dig, that is the Question!

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you mean lead? Could you post some evidence supporting what you're stating? What detector are you using? It must be an awesome machine to be able to locate a very minute amount of lead in a piece of bone. Sorry my friend, might be easier for you to twist up one of what you're smoking for me. Anyway, thank you for a good giggle today! Not quite coffee spit quality but a real good giggle! Take care out there!

....Here boogyman .... have a Snickers.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig you may find some great artifacts that can be appreciated

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dig..but just in Case.... Do a Sargent Schultz if you find anything that May cause the Land owner to regret letting you hunt it.

in other words ... don't tell authorities anything unless the land owner wants you to.

Last thing the farmer needs is to Hear some Do-gooder tell
him He can't Plant till some archie gets paid enough to Hire Volunteers to Dig his field up so they can write a paper.

or some defunct Indian Tribe Now owns his Field because of a 300 year old Indians toe.
which in reality is a KFC chicken bone

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Just acquired a few acres of what was previously a corn field. The stalks have been leveled down and I am ready to go! I talked to a previous farmer and told him I was going to detect and he stated that I may come across a bone or two as there are Indian burial grounds over the hill and arrow heads and bones come up every now and then. Oh boy, now what? Do I dig til something comes up or do I let well enough alone?

law is on your side in pa, this guys land is registered with the Pennsylvania Historical
and Museum Commission and he can still dig and farm

But Witmer has the law on his side.

While Conestoga Indian Town, including the small hill on Witmer’s land, is registered with the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission,
“It’s (Witmer’s) property and he’s doing it with private funds, so he can do whatever he wants, whether it’s recorded or not,” said Howard Pollman, the commission’s director of external affairs.

http://lancasteronline.com/news/historians-believe-lancaster-county-farmer-might-be-digging-up-native/article_7aa00764-dc9d-11e4-991d-2bc41334cd84.html

OP
OP
G. I. Digger

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the reply's and I made up my mind, hooking up the NEL Storm now!!!

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, I doubt it is really an Indian burial ground. It is a long repeated rural myth that if you find arrowheads or other pre-historic artifacts in an area, that it is because it was a burial ground. I'll bet there is well over a 95% chance that you have a nice prehistoric camp or habitation site, rather than a sacred burial ground. Any "bones" that the farmer or his acquaintances may have seen, were probably not human, and were probably relatively recent. I do not think ancient human bones are known to persist very long in the Pennsylvania plow zone? I would go ahead and metal detect it thoroughly without fear or hesitation. I would also look for pre-historic artifacts on any exposed ground, and would probably put in an extra large garden, just to expose more ground on an annual or semi annual basis. HH

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck G.I. Digger, keep us informed of your finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread