To Dig or not to Dig, that is the Question!

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just acquired a few acres of what was previously a corn field. The stalks have been leveled down and I am ready to go! I talked to a previous farmer and told him I was going to detect and he stated that I may come across a bone or two as there are Indian burial grounds over the hill and arrow heads and bones come up every now and then. Oh boy, now what? Do I dig til something comes up or do I let well enough alone?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DIG BABY DIG! :skullflag:

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just acquired a few acres of what was previously a corn field. The stalks have been leveled down and I am ready to go! I talked to a previous farmer and told him I was going to detect and he stated that I may come across a bone or two as there are Indian burial grounds over the hill and arrow heads and bones come up every now and then. Oh boy, now what? Do I dig til something comes up or do I let well enough alone?

Dig .. if you happen across a bone, move away a bit from that area.

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug at a local park for awhile and a neighbor told me that in the mid to late 1800's some of first settlers were buried in the park....later they moved the headstones to what is now the local cemetery. According to him they could now find all the buried. Another local towns men confirmed this as did someone from the local historic museum. The cemetery was actually on the back of some houses properties now....everyone thought I should continue to metal detect this....I may go back staying clear of any areas I know of but I have not been back to that park as of yet. I hit another older park instead...lol

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add on: makes me wonder how many old areas have been changed over the years that people have been on and have no idea the history....like cemeteries

OP
OP
G. I. Digger

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct regarding the cemetaries as this land is adjacent to a county park and inside the park is a plaque stating the area in the park is what is to believed sacred grounds. Our area is fairly close but on the crest of a hill, who knows?

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If 5 feet or 6 feet under you shouldn't have a problem. If the Indians raised their dead on wooden platforms be respectful and rebury otherwise I would go ahead and dig.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought it was a no-no to do anything where there were known to be burial mounds. I don't know, I watch to much Ghost Adventures. Do some research on the area, then make your decision. Don't want Native American Spirits messin' with you. Your call.

Auba14

Jun 17, 2015
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ghost Adventures is a great show. Dig, but keep an eye out for arrow heads.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're digging in an old corn field, you won't be disturbing anything that hasn't already been disturbed.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bones could be from the animals the Indians killed with their arrows. So unless you find a human skull, don't sweat it.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have permission, I don't see any problems moral or otherwise.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless their is some led there...which could actually be a possibility...sorry but true

Did you mean lead? Could you post some evidence supporting what you're stating? What detector are you using? It must be an awesome machine to be able to locate a very minute amount of lead in a piece of bone. Sorry my friend, might be easier for you to twist up one of what you're smoking for me. Anyway, thank you for a good giggle today! Not quite coffee spit quality but a real good giggle! Take care out there!

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you mean lead? Could you post some evidence supporting what you're stating? What detector are you using? It must be an awesome machine to be able to locate a very minute amount of lead in a piece of bone. Sorry my friend, might be easier for you to twist up one of what you're smoking for me. Anyway, thank you for a good giggle today! Not quite coffee spit quality but a real good giggle! Take care out there!
Sorry....I suppose only you can have a little sarcasm.....here this should be better
I think all will be ok.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your land? I'd dig no question about it! The only thing is I wouldn't even whisper words like bones, Indians, burial grounds, not even in my sleep! We've all heard the horror stories of people doing remodels on houses etc. finding bones & the archies move in & close down the remodel while they "excavate" at their leisure. Might even go as far as doing all the legal steps like posting no trespassing signs etc. Just in case they show up. Better safe than sorry! Don't want to sound alarmist but it's good not to get caught with your pants down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread