Good Waterproof Coil For Whites DFX OR A Good Waterproof Detector

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, I appreciate any input on a Good Waterproof Detector...Not that I would need a 100' one, but maybe 25'-50'. That would even be rare for me to use but I am always thinking that I should always have more than enough instead of NOT enough! Magnets get most of my use on the water but sometimes someone loses a necklace or ring that magnets won't work on.

Next, I have a Whites DFX Spectrum that I Love. Is there a Waterproof Coil that would work in creeks or river banks in up to 3' of water on that Model?

Thank You....I cannot seem to find the Coil Question Answer online or in my manual anywhere. There are several Waterproof Detectors I've found but I'd rather get the answer from actual users on this forum.

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil is already waterproof, but I wouldn't submerge it more that the first rod length. the control box is not and they used to say not to lift coil up above control box after submerging as water will travel down rods to the box. Get a real waterproof machine for what you have in mind. My opinion is that the coils are the only waterproof part of land machines because the morning dews on grass can soak it and your boots like being dunked.

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
The coil is already waterproof, but I wouldn't submerge it more that the first rod length. the control box is not and they used to say not to lift coil up above control box after submerging as water will travel down rods to the box. Get a real waterproof machine for what you have in mind. My opinion is that the coils are the only waterproof part of land machines because the morning dews on grass can soak it and your boots like being dunked.

Thank You Very Much Walnut! Just so I understand completely...Are you saying it's ok to submerge the Screw On Connector on the Cord from the Coil that goes to the box? I've scanned Over the very shallow water at creeks/rivers edges but didn't know if the connector was watertight? THANKS AGAIN!!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The display box is not waterproof. That would be submerged before the connection at the box.

You are simply trying to push your machine beyond its limits. Walnuttree said it best. Don't go beyond the first rod.

I would suggest finding a used freshwater submersible machine. Test before buying to make sure its still waterproof.

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
The display box is not waterproof. That would be submerged before the connection at the box.

You are simply trying to push your machine beyond its limits. Walnuttree said it best. Don't go beyond the first rod.

I would suggest finding a used freshwater submersible machine. Test before buying to make sure its still waterproof.

Thank You Mz J! I just wasn't sure of the cord connector on the Coil. I am looking for a Used Fresh & Saltwater Unit. Do you have a certain kind you have had success with? TY!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The connector on the coil should be fine but not the connector on the control box, I wouldn't want to get that close to the control box. Watch out lifting the coil above the control box once you submerged the coil as mentioned to keep water from traveling through the rod into the control box, you would be best served going with a water proof detector if you plan on detecting in the water a lot though. HH

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
The connector on the coil should be fine but not the connector on the control box, I wouldn't want to get that close to the control box. Watch out lifting the coil above the control box once you submerged the coil as mentioned to keep water from traveling through the rod into the control box, you would be best served going with a water proof detector if you plan on detecting in the water a lot though. HH

Thanks Wingmaster....I do need a Detector that is Waterproof. I don't wanna damage my DFX.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are planning to detect fresh water, I would highly recommend a Tesoro Tiger Shark. Fully submersible, great warranty, sensitive to small gold.

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are planning to detect fresh water, I would highly recommend a Tesoro Tiger Shark. Fully submersible, great warranty, sensitive to small gold.

Thank You Susan!! Just what I Need (want)!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread