Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I found a cellar hole in some untouched nice woods. When looking at a property map, I noticed that the town dump, which is around 1000 feet away, owns the woods. I have no intention of going anywhere near the actual dump, and the woods are right next to some hiking trails. I wouldn't go anywhere where it would be illegal, so I decided to ask here to see what you guys think. Should I call the town and ask?

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
yes that would be wise i wouldn't want to be thrown in jail or pay a hefty fine

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hunt the woods only and stay far away from any dump activities or go on Sunday.
Sometimes it is easier to get Forgiveness than to get Permission.
Marvin

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I looked from the road at it after seeing what looked like a huge cellar hole on the lidar. Just a wide and deep tree hole. Oh well, who wants to hunt the town dump anyway :laughing7:

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Honestly in a place like that I wouldn't worry. I usually ask permission if it is private land. Or if it is city land with a a well manicured lawn. But with city woods I doubt anyone would care. On public hiking trails, thats land for recreation use, and you are recreating.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Should I call the town and ask?

It sounds like you already decided that the feature you thought was a "cellar hole", was/is actually just something else after all.

But if the question still stood, then ... to answer your question: The above tactic might just have netted you a "safe" answer . From someone who perhaps would never have cared less (nor have even been there to have noticed). But .... when any city official is tasked with giving their "approval" for something, they will tend to give the "safe" answer. Perhaps they'll envision geeks with shovels, or someone slipping on a banana peel and suing, etc..

Besides, if it is technically dump land right-of-way, there was/is probably something about "no salvaging" at the dump. And they'd probably dream up that the rule applies to far-away-distant right-of-way land. When in fact, odds are, you'd have just been ignored. So I don't tend to ask silly questions. And no .... no one "gets arrested" for stuff like that gold-boy. JMHO.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it were me ...i be thinking that no suit and tie guys walking around out near the dump,and some of my crap is in that dump.
Ya i got into the site before they fill it in.
Mind the rats !
Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
It sounds like you already decided that the feature you thought was a "cellar hole", was/is actually just something else after all.

The lidar can at times be misleading. From the lidar it looked like a big round cellar hole, at little different being round vs square, but I assumed it was a cellar hole. I came there to see a three foot deep crater, probably from a tree and not a cellar hole. Oh well...

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I probably couldn't resist but then again I've got pirate blood in me.
Problem I see with a detector it would sound off every few inches. I remember a metal shop
that would make a dump run every couple weeks. At least a couple of tons. Mostly galvanized steel.
I remember the guy on Pawn Stars saying he was amazed at what people throw away.
I guess I would do a bit of recon and see what turns up.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The crater was huge, probably three times with width of the road. I guessed it was some trees that fell and caused that one hundred years ago, but could be the old dump.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
coinman123 you don't say exactly where you are in NE but form just your description I thought of a "karst" landscape. Karst is where caves are underground and the roof of the cave collapses forming a sink hole. They are sometimes hard to see depending on how deep the roof fell.
Spelunkers will sometimes search for karst land formations to tell of a possible adventure.
I don't know New England well enough of caves there. I know some is all granite (NH).
If the land under the trees is limestone a cave is possible. That's because rain becomes acidic passing through soil and dissolves the limestone creating a cave over time. There are caves made by slightly different chemical processes for instance in a desert.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
coinman123 you don't say exactly where you are in NE but form just your description I thought of a "karst" landscape. Karst is where caves are underground and the roof of the cave collapses forming a sink hole. They are sometimes hard to see depending on how deep the roof fell.
Spelunkers will sometimes search for karst land formations to tell of a possible adventure.
I don't know New England well enough of caves there. I know some is all granite (NH).
If the land under the trees is limestone a cave is possible. That's because rain becomes acidic passing through soil and dissolves the limestone creating a cave over time. There are caves made by slightly different chemical processes for instance in a desert.

I'm from NH, Tons of granite, and some caves. I think you may be on to something, thinking about it, it seems a little too big for a tree caused occurrence. Cool info!

There is also known to be limestone in my region. Next time I am there, I will snap some photos.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm from NH, Tons of granite, and some caves. I think you may be on to something, thinking about it, it seems a little too big for a tree caused occurrence. Cool info!

There is also known to be limestone in my region. Next time I am there, I will snap some photos.

My wife lived in NH and built a home there. I liked her story of having to dynamite the granite to dig a basement.
Where I had lived I was used to simply digging. We get back there time to time.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife lived in NH and built a home there. I liked her story of having to dynamite the granite to dig a basement.
Where I had lived I was used to simply digging. We get back there time to time.

It really is the granite state. My septic tank is in a horrible location because of two 4 and 6 foot tall granite glacier rocks in my front yard, underneath the dirt is one big granite ledge. I know someone who built a home in MA that had the opposite problem, the dirt was too powdery and not stable enough, they needed to spend tons of money to re-enforce the ground. It must have been extremely hard to dig the cellar holes many of us find in the woods in NH, with only a shovel and no machinery. The basement of the house I just bought doesn't have any mortar or concrete anywhere, except for one part of one wall (where they patched some of the stones) and under the furnace. The granite around the house is so dense that even during a torrential downpour the basement remains bone dry. The foundation of the house is unsurprisingly also made out of granite.

cgdigger

Feb 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

But if the question still stood, then ... to answer your question: The above tactic might just have netted you a "safe" answer . From someone who perhaps would never have cared less (nor have even been there to have noticed). But .... when any city official is tasked with giving their "approval" for something, they will tend to give the "safe" answer. Perhaps they'll envision geeks with shovels, or someone slipping on a banana peel and suing, etc..

Besides, if it is technically dump land right-of-way, there was/is probably something about "no salvaging" at the dump. And they'd probably dream up that the rule applies to far-away-distant right-of-way land. When in fact, odds are, you'd have just been ignored. So I don't tend to ask silly questions. And no .... no one "gets arrested" for stuff like that gold-boy. JMHO.

I dug an old town dump when I was a boy. Found some really great bottles. As an adult, I was interested in going back - but I also knew that town officials were not too happy with diggers on their property, even though it's unused land near the sewage treatment plant. I prepared the most persuasive letter possible, referenced my military service, promised to remove broken glass on the surface, leaving it better and safer than when I arrived, etc. Result? You guessed it - no go. So I agree that you're very unlikely to get a "yes" if you ask.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I dug an old town dump when I was a boy. Found some really great bottles. As an adult, I was interested in going back - but I also knew that town officials were not too happy with diggers on their property, even though it's unused land near the sewage treatment plant. I prepared the most persuasive letter possible, referenced my military service, promised to remove broken glass on the surface, leaving it better and safer than when I arrived, etc. Result? You guessed it - no go. So I agree that you're very unlikely to get a "yes" if you ask.

Good to hear from you cg-digger. What made you think they are "not happy with diggers" in current times ?

It's true that times are more litigious now, than they were in the 1960s & 1970s. Oh well :/ I still go by the "does anyone *really* care test of things. Rather than risking some far-away pencil-pusher's arbitrary "safe" answer.

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
What I see happening especially with authorities it seems they ask themselves "How can this hurt me or return to bite me"? What if someone sues me because I said OK. I guess we could blame how easy it must be to squeeze through law school in that 49% are below average. That might explain why there are one lawyer for every 49 people in SF CA.
Tom in Ca probably has the best approach in claiming ignorance rather than expect approval from whoever might be in charge.

I left N Ill 30 years ago partly because everything was private land. I had to stay on a road or risk trespassing. Things might be changing in that way here too as I see abandoned homes now have chain link fence around many of them.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....In certain cases it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission....

Well, yes and no. The problem with that catchy saying is that it presumes something is wrong or illegal in the first place. In a lot of the places that come up on md'ing forums (where people wonder "Can I?") it's not really so clear cut that it's off-limits, in the first place.

It boils down to if-someone-gripes in a lot of cases. Not whether black & white laws or rules (ie.: a true rule that truly said "no md'ing"). Only grey area catch-all things that might apply , to certain lookie-lou gripers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions