Any mushroom experts out there? This one looked pretty tasty to me!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also like stuffed mushrooms with lots of Gronk's hot sauce on them!

gronks-hot-sauce.jpg

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got to know your mushrooms before you even attempt to eat them. Sign up for classes, read every book and guide, let your instructor eat them first then watch him/her for 48 hours, if they live then you can eat them. Many Asians come here and see a wild mushroom that looks like an edible one they have back in their country, sadly they make a terrible mistake and get sick or die. I personally, like store bought mushrooms but will never eat those found by me or anyone else. Even if you were starving, it's better to kill a rabbit or a squirrel than eat a wild fungus. Death can be pretty sometimes, like colorful fungus.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being Old fashioned when it comes to Mushrooms I have found that the small paperback Mushroom ID books with good Pics are a great way to check Mushrooms, could be that a lot of you guys are passing up Fantastic Dinner mushrooms, Now, I'll go to the freezer, get the ELK Backstrap, and dried Morels from last season, Gonna eat some of the Best Food God has to offer tonight.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that there is fungus-amongus!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've read none of the tree types are edible.

Not true, chicken of the woods grows on trees, turkey tail, hen of the woods grows at the base of trees, lions main is found on downed trees, the jews ear also grows on trees.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The toxins in poison mushrooms can cause kidney or liver failure. Sounds like a really bad way to die. No more thoughts of eating wild mushrooms for me!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a cousin to the Athletis Fungetis.
Be sure to wear odor eaters after coming in contact with that plant.
When it comes to mushrooms I think it is safer to eat the odor eaters. I don't mess with them. I don't play Russian roulette either

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally an edible mushroom that normally grows on a tree needs to be growing on oak. For instance, if you do find an edible mushroom like hen of the woods, it needs to be growing on oak to still be edible. I would love to get more into mushroom hunting, but the safest way is to go foraging with a pro. However, there are, IIRC, around 5 edible mushrooms that are easy to identify and do not have a poisonous identical look-alike, but one must be able to understand more than just what color it is.

I do have a hen of the woods dehydrated and packed into jars. At my in-laws, there is a chicken of the woods, but someone else always snags it before we get there! I have also harvested and eaten chanterelles and morels.
I am a perfect example of a "chicken of the woods"

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't know the wild mushroom world and don't have access to information or a experienced mycologist, then it's a big no no. Too many chances for mistakes that we can't afford. I've been in wild mushrooms for 7 years. I limit myself to chanterelles, boletes and few others. If I have a doubt, it will not end in my pan and I never got sick.

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the rare Middle TN. "miniature elephant ear mushroom". They should NEVER be consumed! The only way to know for sure if it is safe is if a sex toy is found near it. Obliviously this is a safe one. Go heavy on the butter... Their GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

sounds like you may have already had a serve of shrooms?

chub

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The toxins in poison mushrooms can cause kidney or liver failure. Sounds like a really bad way to die. No more thoughts of eating wild mushrooms for me!

haha...Ya, doesn't sound like a fun time to me either!! I also know from picking mushrooms, some have to be cooked. You will end up sitting on the toilet all night if you eat them raw...Or by not cooking them long enough! There is something that has an effect on your stomach, and whatever it is(I can't think of the terms or words) has to be cooked out. And maybe it doesn't bother everyone, or certain areas, but I'm not taking the chance again!! :laughing7: It was either dog peters(woodsmans?) or the sponge looking things. Morels....I've been picking those most of my life, but I have more fun going out looking for them and giving them to people that eat them! I've been sick on them twice and that was enough for me. once uncooked, and again years later I thought I would try them again, cooked. :laughing7:

I'll pick the wild for people that eat those, then pick mine up at the grocery store!

Last edited:

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think wild animals know better than us and I suspect they have some immunity from evolution. Amanitas are dangerous, some species are real deadly. We have one here that will kill your liver on the 15th day, but you'll have zero symptoms from the 14 days before. As soon you swallowed it, you live on borrowed time (14 days exactly) and there is no cure. Some even gives you heavy sweating and hallucinations, if you drink beer or wine 24 hours before or after eating them. Some will make you puke your guts. You really have to be informed and careful. In survival mode, mushrooms are not to consider.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave it alone , that thing has poison written all over it.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think wild animals know better than us and I suspect they have some immunity from evolution. Amanitas are dangerous, some species are real deadly. We have one here that will kill your liver on the 15th day, but you'll have zero symptoms from the 14 days before. As soon you swallowed it, you live on borrowed time (14 days exactly) and there is no cure. Some even gives you heavy sweating and hallucinations, if you drink beer or wine 24 hours before or after eating them. Some will make you puke your guts. You really have to be informed and careful. In survival mode, mushrooms are not to consider.

There is a mushroom called the drunkards mushroom. It causes your body not to be able to metabolize alcohol. Makes you sick. That might be what you're think of.
It kind of looks like a morel.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread