boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spend a lot of time researching for the history of places I find in Cochise County. I find homestead ruins mostly and try to uncover what happened there. Right now I am finishing up on some ruins in the Dos Cabezas area. The ruins are a ranch built by Jack Howard. He placed an ad for a housekeeper (1900) and hired on Mary Cummings. Formerly known as Doc Holliday's gal, "Big nosed Kate." She lived with Howard for thirty years until his death in 1930. It's just one of several research projects. It takes up a lot of my spare time on the internet and in the field. I don't have a metal detector but it sure is tempting. The problem is metal detecting takes up too much time and usually I get worn out getting to remote places. View attachment 1488753
View attachment 1488754
Standing on what's left of Howard and Kates home in Dos Cabezas. The other ruin was his first home he built at southern tip of the Winchester Mohntajns of Cochise County. My arms are cut from bushwacking to the site. Wore me out.
"I don't have a metal detector but it sure is tempting" Holy smokes!!!! That's like ordering up a steak dinner and only eating the vegetables! All that blood sweat & tears and no goodies!?!?!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much. I am a tech stupid guy that can barely copy & paste. I'd really like to learn how to do that online google maps type research with the overlaying and what not. Never gave it much attention but, now I am starting to get more interested in field hunting. I'd like to know if I can find information on old homesteads or structures in these fields I will be hunting soon. Of course I will ask the farmers who work the ground for any helpful information as well. I wonder if there are YouTube videos for dummies like me to figure this out? Thanks for bringing up this topic.:icon_thumright:
There are. Is there anyone who can spend a little time showing you or someone with teenagers willing to show you? Sometimes it's easier to teach the hands! Some people can read manuals and watch vids till their eyes bleed & not catch on, but they can watch someone do it and pick it up in a heartbeat! Especially overlaying maps on GE. Once you do it you'll see it's easier than you thought. DO NOT get discouraged!!! Remember, a lot of us oldsters didn't have the net, google, etc. We went to libraries & historical Societies with bulging pockets of dimes for the copy machines. Then went home and spent hours putting it all together. Back in those days "Cut N Paste was exactly just that! When doing your researching, keep notes on where you found stuff in case you need to go back later. These days, bookmark EVERYTHING. And most importantly, Have fun with it!!!!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My opinion: the research to hunting ratio should be about 9 to 1. I come nowhere near this ratio anymore, which is why I no longer find the gobs of stuff like some of you. ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I just found a place that appears to have around 10 cellar holes, all along colonial roads. I couldn't find the place listed online, so I don't know how many people know about it. I even see some barn foundations and cellar holes a few hundred feet off the trail. It is around half and hour away, so I think it will have to wait until the weekend. I am pretty sure I won't be the first metal detectorist there though. It doesn't show up on any old maps, not even the stonewall lined roads.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
My opinion: the research to hunting ratio should be about 9 to 1. I come nowhere near this ratio anymore, which is why I no longer find the gobs of stuff like some of you. ╦╦Ç

Yup! Even doing hours of research, I still find only around 2 great colonial sites a year, with most producing a good amount of relics for only 1-2 months. I go to many places, and most of them aren't good. I went to thirty cellar holes earlier this year, and all of them were heavily metal detected and filled with trash, not one old (or new) coin or button during that part of the year. I did find a colonial site that produced a ton for two years, just by walking into the woods along a nature behind a school with my metal detector one day, no research at all to find that place. It all boils down to luck in the end. Good luck!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup! Even doing hours of research, I still find only around 2 great colonial sites a year, with most producing a good amount of relics for only 1-2 months. I go to many places, and most of them aren't good. I went to thirty cellar holes earlier this year, and all of them were heavily metal detected and filled with trash, not one old (or new) coin or button during that part of the year. I did find a colonial site that produced a ton for two years, just by walking into the woods along a nature behind a school with my metal detector one day, no research at all to find that place. It all boils down to luck in the end. Good luck!

Research finds the places.... luck finds the goodies there. The luck factor goes way up if you know where to look! ╦╦Ç

Bigjdub

Jul 21, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't spend much time researching I just go out and play. My small town only has 2 tot lots and I try and hit them once a week if I have the time. I can knock them both out in about 2 hours. There are a couple other small tourist type areas that I try and hit every couple weeks. They don't take long either. Those fill my need for fresh drops and the dream of gold rings. I have a couple beach slots that turn up some coins here and there but give me lead weights. I have a guy I sell the lead to when I get a few pounds together. There is a third tot lot that is locked up unless there is a city league baseball game going. During the season I drive by that one when ever I have the time because sooner or later they will forget to lock one of the 6 gates and I can hit that one quick and no one has ever said a thing to me about it. This is my usual rotation.

When it comes to the bigger archaeological type hunts I have a pretty good knowledge of the areas history and I try and find time to go to the old mining camps in the area. I also head out to areas people camp today deep in the wilderness but unfortunately those are usually too trashy to get anywhere even though the surface looks clean. I also keep an ear out when the elderly people talk about the places they hung out when they where young. Two days ago I found out the possible location if an old picnic area where the people of a little off grid community would get together in the 50s, 60s and earlier to hang out and play sports and have a big potluck. I'm going to start searching for that real soon.

Long story short I just go where the mood takes me at the moment and I keep my MD in my truck all the time so when I see an opportunity I can jump on it.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't spend much time researching I just go out and play. My small town only has 2 tot lots and I try and hit them once a week if I have the time. I can knock them both out in about 2 hours. There are a couple other small tourist type areas that I try and hit every couple weeks. They don't take long either. Those fill my need for fresh drops and the dream of gold rings. I have a couple beach slots that turn up some coins here and there but give me lead weights. I have a guy I sell the lead to when I get a few pounds together. There is a third tot lot that is locked up unless there is a city league baseball game going. During the season I drive by that one when ever I have the time because sooner or later they will forget to lock one of the 6 gates and I can hit that one quick and no one has ever said a thing to me about it. This is my usual rotation.

When it comes to the bigger archaeological type hunts I have a pretty good knowledge of the areas history and I try and find time to go to the old mining camps in the area. I also head out to areas people camp today deep in the wilderness but unfortunately those are usually too trashy to get anywhere even though the surface looks clean. I also keep an ear out when the elderly people talk about the places they hung out when they where young. Two days ago I found out the possible location if an old picnic area where the people of a little off grid community would get together in the 50s, 60s and earlier to hang out and play sports and have a big potluck. I'm going to start searching for that real soon.

Long story short I just go where the mood takes me at the moment and I keep my MD in my truck all the time so when I see an opportunity I can jump on it.
Some of the stuff you mention above IS research. So, you are actually doing research. Also, those trashy areas you talked of means no one is detecting it. Under the trash is the treasure! ╦╦Ç

Bigjdub

Jul 21, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the stuff you mention above IS research. So, you are actually doing research. Also, those trashy areas you talked of means no one is detecting it. Under the trash is the treasure! ╦╦Ç

It is a form of research. I guess what I was getting at is I don't shut myself in a room pour over old texts and maps. Maybe that partly because I've done some of that over the years when looking for camping and gold prospecting spots and now I just think of that information with a MD mindset.

I also realise that under the trash is the treasure but the off grid camping spots I've gone to are so trashy that I can't even find a clean spot to GB my machine. I know the best idea would be to just start cleaning and see what I find and that's what I do. I need to find the time to spend several days at one of those camps just to put a small dent in things.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a form of research. I guess what I was getting at is I don't shut myself in a room pour over old texts and maps. Maybe that partly because I've done some of that over the years when looking for camping and gold prospecting spots and now I just think of that information with a MD mindset.

I also realise that under the trash is the treasure but the off grid camping spots I've gone to are so trashy that I can't even find a clean spot to GB my machine. I know the best idea would be to just start cleaning and see what I find and that's what I do. I need to find the time to spend several days at one of those camps just to put a small dent in things.
Yes, a trashy area can become a real pain. I would find good stuff under the junk. But, alas, nowadays, I only have just so many bends in my back before I must quit. I no longer do trashy. ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over the years, I have found MANY ways to research (libraries, museums, Library of Congress). I do wish I could remember all the good research tools I've forgotten. WRITE THEM DOWN for future use! ╦╦Ç

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread