A True Pioneer and Visioner In Treasure Hunting Has Crossed Over

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sad to report that Stu Auerbach, the founder of our hobby and Kellyco passed away last night, with out his vision treasure hunting would not be what it is today. I personally knew Stu as did many others and he will be missed, you could not find a nicer gentleman.

History of Kellyco
Over 60 Years in Metal Detecting

1953-1955 - As a soldier in the United States Army stationed in Korea in 1953, Stu Auerbach learned how to operate army mine detectors and became fascinated with the possible civilian uses of metal detectors. After his discharge in 1955, Auerbach purchased surplus military mine detectors and took them to a nearby beach in Miami Florida to see what he might find. As Auerbach later said, "It was a bonanza of coins, rings, jewelry, keys and other metal objects". Stu soon drew crowds of people each time he went to the beach wanting to see what he was finding. When people asked him where they could get a machine like his, Auerbach was quick to sell them others that he had in his car, and a business selling metal Detectors was born that later became Kellyco Metal Detectors, the largest retailer of metal detectors in the world.

galleon 1960-1964 - Spanish silver treasure coins were found on a beach in Ft. Pierce Florida by a man using a surplus army mine detector. The "find" led to the discovery of the remains of the 1715 Spanish Treasure Fleet which generated a huge amount of publicity on national television as well as newspapers and magazines throughout the world. The rush to find treasure had begun. People wanted metal detectors for beach hunting and metal detectors to search in the water. Kellyco was right in the middle of this new search for treasure and word spread that the place to get your metal detector for the beach or in the water was at Kellyco Metal Detectors in Florida.

catalog 1969 - Auerbach knew that the sport of metal detecting had the possibility of growing from a small group of dedicated detector users to a world-wide hobby that everybody, men, women and even youngsters could enjoy. Stu wanted the world to know the fun and excitement of treasure hunting with a metal detector so he decided to publish a catalog with metal detectors, detecting accessories, and books on treasure hunting. The catalog was advertised in newspapers and magazines and the demand grew from a few hundred to a few thousand, and soon Kellyco was mailing over one million catalogs a year.

test team 1970-1989 - During the 70's and 1980's, Kellyco established the Kellyco Metal Detectors Test Team with a number of well experienced, dedicated metal detector users who were recognized experts. Kellyco Team members worked closely with detector manufacturers to help them produce metal detectors with features Kellyco Buldingthat would benefit newcomers and experienced treasure hunters alike. Kellyco also established "Adventurers International" a company where Stu Auerbach and his Team would guide metal detector enthusiasts (and their wives) on treasure hunting trips to islands in the Caribbean where they experienced detecting for real treasures. And in 1988, Kellyco moved into their new 30,000 square foot building in Winter Springs Florida complete with a large showroom/museum plus space for their 40 plus employees.

Minelab Eagle Award 2000-2011 - Kellyco Metal Detectors, winner of multiple awards for customer service has expanded into the world’s largest supplier of metal detectors direct to customer who visit Kellyco’s showroom and Treasure Museum or order by phone or take advantage of ordering directly on line at kellycodetectors.com. Kellyco maintains a stock of over 2500 metal detectors and provides FREE accessories with most detectors. Kellyco also offers a huge selection of metal detector accessories, books and maps. A customer service department, plus metal detector service center is available. As well as detector repairs, Kellyco can professionally customize metal detectors. If it has to do with metal detectors and treasure hunting, Kellyco Metal Detector Experts can answer your questions and supply whatever you need.

2012 - Stu decided to reduce his work load to take more time to metal detect and treasure hunt, his first love. Stu has hundreds of invitations to metal detect all over the world from customers and friends from Poland, Russia, Germany, Bulgaria, France, Italy, Spain, as well as most European countries. Stu also has an invitation to go to China and other countries in Asia and the Middle East. Stu’s son David has stepped up after having a lifetime of metal detecting experience from the time he was 8 years old. In Kellyco’s showroom are pictures of Stu and David hunting old fort sites on Islands in the Caribbean. David grew up with a metal detector in his hand and brings years and years of experience to move Kellyco Metal Detectors into the future.
Kellyco Event Showroom
Kellyco's 60th Anniversary Event

2015 - On August 1st, Kellyco hosted an Event celebrating their 60th Anniversary along with the Grand Re-Opening of their newly remodeled showroom and the Commemoration of the 300th Anniversary of the 1715 Fleet! Metal detectorists and treasure hunters came by the hundreds to join the celebration. Representatives from all your favorite metal detecting brands were there including Minelab, Garrett, White's and 1st Texas. Kellyco also brought in TV celebrities including Tim "Ringy" Saylor and "King" George Wyant from the NatGeo show "Diggers", who gave autographs and posed for pictures. Many folks who joined also left as big winners from the many metal detector giveaways and prizes offered by Kellyco. The Event overall was a huge success not only for Kellyco but for the whole metal detecting industry!

35790d06e319989ae244cf6c35b5e88a.jpg

736103c63ebc8517de8f9c3c056e0eb9.jpg

20d46bffb908b832b81bcd1cf876cf9c.jpg

60th Anniversary Celebration.

Video of Stu talking about how he started his metal detecting business.
https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/08/metal-man-how-kellyco-founder-stuart.html

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Stu.jpg
    Stu.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sorry to hear this TH, thank you for sharing

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!!!

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stu will be missed RIP
In the early 70s he would answer the phone,i was a kid and he would go out of his way to help me... thank you Stu.
Gary

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God bless and R.I.P. what a guy. Thanks for that treasure hunter.

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing all the information. RIP Stu

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RIP Stu, thanks for sharing the great write up on him TH.:icon_thumright:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
thanx for relaying the info.

The WWII detectors were not sensitive enough to find anything smaller than soda can sized. But I've heard that during the Korean war, at least one model made for that conflict was said to be sensitive enough to get a USA quarter to several inches deep. If Stu was finding coins on the beach, then he must've had one of those more pioneering sensitive ones.

Liked the history recap and video too. Thanx TH'r, and sorry for the loss of a pioneer :(

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Stu for your service to our country ...And your seminal influence on the detecting hobby.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanx for relaying the info.

The WWII detectors were not sensitive enough to find anything smaller than soda can sized. But I've heard that during the Korean war, at least one model made for that conflict was said to be sensitive enough to get a USA quarter to several inches deep. If Stu was finding coins on the beach, then he must've had one of those more pioneering sensitive ones.

Liked the history recap and video too. Thanx TH'r, and sorry for the loss of a pioneer :(

Stu was finding coins and rings with the surplus military detectors in the late 50's, he was selling surplus militray detectors out of trunk of his car at the beach when he first started hunting.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is sad, we lose another one.
RIP.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

ArcadianDelSol

Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker 1-D/505
I think it would be nice if we each left one dusty, tarnished clad on his headstone as tribute.

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RIP and thanks for your service to our country and to the great hobby of metal detecting.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
May peace and comfort be with his family and friends in this time of sorrow. R. I. P.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread