Why is treaure hunting so addictive?

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing this for a few years now and it only gets worse...

When I first started I thought this would just be a hobby.

I started out just metal detecting occasionally. Then more often.. and more often... Then I started gold panning.. and coin roll hunting... Now I obsess with checking every coin that's near me..

It's to the point where I walk around just looking at the ground. Not saying that's a bad thing, I've found two pieces of gold just scanning the area (one has 6 stones, diamonds?!).

This is like a sickness. I can definitely understand the gold fever thing, it's freakin real!

It can drive you crazy! It's an obsession! But to me it's so calming. :icon_thumright:

Anyone out there as crazy as me?

Am I alone?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing this for a few years now and it only gets worse...

When I first started I thought this would just be a hobby.

I started out just metal detecting occasionally. Then more often.. and more often... Then I started gold panning.. and coin roll hunting... Now I obsess with checking every coin that's near me..

It's to the point where I walk around just looking at the ground. Not saying that's a bad thing, I've found two pieces of gold just scanning the area (one has 6 stones, diamonds?!).

This is like a sickness. I can definitely understand the gold fever thing, it's freakin real!

It can drive you crazy! It's an obsession! But to me it's so calming. :icon_thumright:

Anyone out there as crazy as me?

Am I alone?

Not alone at all, plenty of us just as crazy or crazier than you....

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Simple really...it actually is physically addictive.
When we find treasure we get happy...we get happy because it is fun...when we find something rare, precious or exciting we get really happy.
So exactly what happens when we get happy?
Endorphins are released.
The primary reason the pituitary gland and nervous system releases these endorphins into our brain and body is to dull pain but there is another reason too...joy.
Here is what happens physiologically...

Endorphins (contracted from "endogenous morphine") are endogenous opioid neuropeptides and peptide hormonesin humans and other animals. They are produced by the central nervous system and the pituitary gland. The term "endorphins" implies a pharmacological activity (analogous to the activity of the corticosteroid category of biochemicals) as opposed to a specific chemical formulation. It consists of two parts: endo- and -orphin; these are short forms of the words endogenous and morphine, intended to mean "a morphine-like substance originating from within the body". The class of endorphin compounds includes α-endorphin, β-endorphin, γ-endorphin, σ-endorphin, α-neo-endorphin, and β-neo-endorphin. The principal function of endorphins is to inhibit the transmission of pain signals; they may also produce a feeling of euphoria very similar to that produced by other opioids.

Get that...a morphine-like opioid.
Those that don't get this hobby are immune, for those of us that do we simply don't have a chance and immediately succumb to its affects.
Sounds like addiction to me and it happens instantly.

There are worse things to be addicted to in this world.

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Addictive? Who cares! Dig Baby, Dig!!!!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Makes my endorphins run wild! It's awesome and I am always looking down and scanning the ground.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look down so much I'm probably going to get hit by a car.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me its the thrill of the hunt.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can find 200 nails, but one keeper gives you a high that lasts for days. No ur not crazy.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was born to treasure hunt. It just took me awhile to invest in a metal detector. Now I own several and enough gear to equip four people or more I reckon. I proudly don the title of crazy as I am the least boring person I know. I have always been a ground scanner since my formative years. I found a twenty dollar bill once back in the 60's and thought I had won the lottery! While there is a definite calming factor to this metal detecting sport I don't want to over analyze it. Just know that finding cool stuff brings joy to the one who recovers it and it's also fun to share your joy with other's here on T-net. I can also live vicariously through other's sharing their cool finds as experienced recently with StonedOregonHunter and his amazing 1909 S VDB Lincoln recovery. This is the best therapy I could prescribe myself and no lingering side effects other than the obsession of wanting to get back out there and find more cool stuff!:headbang:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting gives you hope, even when your life is bleak. You hope to find something special every time you go out. That's what keeps you going back. Gotta have hope in your life.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things,and no good thing ever dies."

The Shawshank Redemption

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think it's what I was exposed to being really young. I was probably only pre-school or when the first memories of going out with the family looking for arrowheads, rock hounding, bottle digging. Along the way came this electronic device made by Whites Electronics Metal Detectors, had the name "GoldMaster" written along the blue steel box. Well let the dreams begin, now 45-50yrs later it's the last thing I think of before going to sleep, and one of the first things when waking up in the morning. No addiction here folks, just part of the lifestyle.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People walking around looking down at their cellphone in hand = cellphone addict, people walking around looking down with nothing in their hand = treasure hunting addict.

"Hello, my name is John Doe and I'm a treasure hunting addict, in fact look at this penny I found in the hallway while coming to this meeting"...

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No, you're not alone. For all the dad gummed nails and pop tops I dig one would think I would get sick of it but it's always the thrill of " what could be." I'm an eternal optimist,lol.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No, you're not alone. For all the dad gummed nails and pop tops I dig one would think I would get sick of it but it's always the thrill of " what could be." I'm an eternal optimist,lol.

I say that everytime I dig a piece of modern trash or something trashy that's old out in the fields or cellar holes. " It could of been."

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Even after months of not finding one relic this earlier this year, I still went out trying harder to find something good. The drive to find something good is extremely powerful. When I find a great site, and find tons of stuff the first day, the drive to metal detect is so strong, that I physically have to be back there the next day or else I will explode.

OP
OP
Rothman

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting gives you hope, even when your life is bleak. You hope to find something special every time you go out. That's what keeps you going back. Gotta have hope in your life.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things,and no good thing ever dies."

The Shawshank Redemption

I love this. It pretty much sums up why I like it so much. Its hope! Makes so much sense.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! What great responses! I relate to every one. It is comforting to know you are not alone.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will assimilate, resistance is futile, we are the Borg................welcome to the obsession.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on vacation in Canada once with my family,me eyes to the ground as always ran into a light pole so hard it nearly knocked me out.It left a nasty welt .wife says I need a seeing eye dog.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I look down so much I'm probably going to get hit by a car.

I was bicycling a few days ago, thought I saw a cellar hole on the side of the road, and started staring off into the woods. Before I knew it I was starting to swerve into traffic! The important thing is that there actually was a cellar hole on the side of the road, too bad it was in someone's front yard!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions