AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As predicted, major gas shortage up here in DFW. I saw the writing on the wall and filled up every tank and can to capacity a few days ago. This morning - lines at the pumps were 30 to 40 cars deep. As of 30 minutes ago, I was unable to find any fuel except for diesel. Every station I saw (over 30+) was dry as a bone.

How is gas availability and pricing in your neck of the woods?

1504205993-NMC_31gascostco5.jpg

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gas not a problem in Florida, but price has raised about .25 cents. Several of the refineries were damaged in the storm including the largest one in the world

[FONT=&quot]"Texas refineries slammed by Harvey aimed to start back up on Thursday, but pipeline shutdowns and continued refinery outages in southeastern Texas and Louisiana hampered the effort to get fuel flowing to markets.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Refiners that took the brunt of Harvey's first landfall near Corpus Christi on Friday got the restart process underway on Wednesday. However, about 20 to 25 percent of U.S. refining capacity remains offline, creating problems in the pipeline systems that move gasoline and other fuel around the east half of the U.S.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pipeline operators have been forced to throttle back or suspend flows of gasoline and other petroleum products.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"The major refined product pipelines out of Houston are mostly shut because there is no gasoline and diesel to pump," said Andy Lipow, president of Lipow Oil Associates.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Saudi Aramco-owned Motiva's Port Arthur refinery, the largest in the United States, could remain closed for up to two weeks, sources told Reuters. U.S. gasoline futures prices, already elevated on Thursday, spiked to more than two-year highs following the news."
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/31/gul...soline-flowing-as-refineries-remain-shut.html[/FONT]

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
NC has gas, but the price is rising quickly.

A guy I know on the inside of business told me to fill my stuff up, because we will have a shortage shortly.

There was a break in the pipeline a few years ago, and it caused a gas shortage here. Hopefully this will not be too bad, but there is nothing that I can do about it.

Sorry ALF, good luck brother!

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlienLifeForm

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC has gas, but the price is rising quickly.

A guy I know on the inside of business told me to fill my stuff up, because we will have a shortage shortly.

There was a break in the pipeline a few years ago, and it caused a gas shortage here. Hopefully this will not be too bad, but there is nothing that I can do about it.

Sorry ALF, good luck brother!

I just hope it doesn't last too long. The Houston area refineries refine about 1/3 of the countries fuel - when they get knocked offline for any amount of time we are all going to feel the pinch, unfortunately.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I just hope it doesn't last too long. The Houston area refineries refine about 1/3 of the countries fuel - when they get knocked offline for any amount of time we are all going to feel the pinch, unfortunately.

The pipeline runs from the Gulf Coast through Charlotte, we have a "tank town" where they store the gas, before distribution to the gas stations. I think that they have about a week's supply on hand... so it ought get interesting shortly.

You Texans have been in my prayers, best of luck to all of you.

wmgeorge

Mar 4, 2013
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in Iowa, gas is up 30 cents a gallon. I suspect those refineries will be up and running soon. As a former industrial controls electrician the people who design those plants know that flooding or other disasters will happen and they build for it. I would think maybe two weeks, if they can get the power back on.
I am just glad they don't have to worry about snow and ice coming soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlienLifeForm

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gas here jumped to $3.00; I anticipate $3.25 within ten days--even if it isn't justified.
Don.........

Still no gas to be found here. $3.00 is high but it sure beats the guy that was charging $8.02 per gallon here until the Texas Attorney General caught wind of it.

DIkP9c1WAAICRFd.jpg

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm in Alvin, Texas and it's hit and miss on the gas. When we do get some, a lot has water in it. Some trucks are showing up now and again. Just gotta tough it out.
Actually bread, milk, eggs and a lot of the canned goods are as hard or harder to find right now. Gone a few hours after it hits. Dang. Life on the Gulf Coast. Love it or get out!

skipper1

Greenie
Jul 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the big problem here in Dallas is the panic and it's getting more dangerous every day. I'm a school bus driver and have had 2 close calls. A busy 3 lane street had a line out a gas station tying up the right land. I saw the line as I came around a curve and hopped over into the middle lane, when I got close to the intersection, there was a guy that decided to take cuts and he had the center lane blocked, now there is only 1 lane and it is bumper to bumper because of this guy and I have a bus load of kids.
We've been told there will be trucks rolling in in a couple of days yet there's panic. For those that really need gas can't find any.

OP
OP
AlienLifeForm

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the big problem here in Dallas is the panic and it's getting more dangerous every day. I'm a school bus driver and have had 2 close calls. A busy 3 lane street had a line out a gas station tying up the right land. I saw the line as I came around a curve and hopped over into the middle lane, when I got close to the intersection, there was a guy that decided to take cuts and he had the center lane blocked, now there is only 1 lane and it is bumper to bumper because of this guy and I have a bus load of kids.
We've been told there will be trucks rolling in in a couple of days yet there's panic. For those that really need gas can't find any.

That is exactly what is going on - panic. I've got enough to ride it out because I saw this coming from a mile away, but for those that habitually ride around with the gas light on - they are in trouble. I helped push a car out of the middle of a busy intersection today - guy was flat out of gas. I saw the poor guy struggling while trying to push the thing out of the middle of the street all while being barraged by a bunch of buttholes blowing their horns and squealing their tires to get around him. They couldn't be bothered to lend a helping hand though, bunch of animals.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just price gouging nationwide allowed by the "authorities". Plenty of fuel here in Colorado. Just have to pay more.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Oklahoma we have several of our own refineries but prices still jumped .30 cents since the hurricane. I think they will rise a little more before leveling off and going down.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use public transportation, ie the bus and am often amazed at the idiots they have to deal with. Thank you for dealing with a job that is tougher than most people realize.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just price gouging nationwide allowed by the "authorities". Plenty of fuel here in Colorado. Just have to pay more.

And the alternative would be.....................?
.........Letting the goobermint set prices for it? Is that what you really want?

Just remember who is cheating you (or trying to) and never do business with them again. And urge all your friends to do the same. The Colonial Pipeline customers are buying gas from other regions and trucking it into the affected areas. That will raise it some, but if anyone is truly gouging, DO NOT EVER buy from them again.
Capitalism 101- let the marketplace decide.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a state of emergency. It has been formally declared a disaster area. Yes the government should order a price freeze. No profiteering while folks are suffering. Same as during a war. Sometimes they add a "windfall" profits tax. Yes this is what I want.

And the alternative would be.....................?
.........Letting the goobermint set prices for it? Is that what you really want?

Just remember who is cheating you (or trying to) and never do business with them again. And urge all your friends to do the same. The Colonial Pipeline customers are buying gas from other regions and trucking it into the affected areas. That will raise it some, but if anyone is truly gouging, DO NOT EVER buy from them again.
Capitalism 101- let the marketplace decide.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fair enough.
Gov declares an Emergency and gains the right to set prices. Yeah, thatll work well as a long term strategy.

Hey, if that's what you want, that's fine. I like free or cheap as much as the next guy. But I know it ends badly when you think past the immediacy of the moment. (coughvenezualacough)

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing but money grubbing crooks. THERE IS NO GAS SHORTAGE The Colonial Pipeline threatened to shut down but did not and the idiots went crazy with the prices. It has gone up forty cents a gallon here in Virginia.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shortage is caused by the refineries being shut down in east Texas including the largest refinery in America located outside of Port Arthur, Tx.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread