Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday evening I drove half an hour to scout a site that appears to have a cluster of 6 colonial cellar holes along an abandoned colonial road, around 3 on each side. They are around 50-100 feet away and not visible from the trail (which is the colonial road). I had a GPS map made of each site based on a lidar image overlay. I went almost a mile down the trail, through mud and puddles to check for the cellar holes. I stopped at my placemarks and saw nothing at each one. I decided to goback to the car, it was almost dark, and drove home. I checked my overlay when I got home and realized that the overlay was misaligned by around 150 feet. It pays to double check your research before driving half an hour and walking a mile to a site that isn't even there. I am going to try to go there again tomorrow morning, with the right GPS map this time. Anyone ever mess up when trying to locate a site?

Walldow

Feb 27, 2017
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher F-22, Garrett Carrot, Detech ultimate coil, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck coinman123 wish I had some places like that around me.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been there, done that. Ouch.

That's just part of the game, then once in a while a surprise emerges and one comes upon an undocumented site.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I went there. The cluster of cellar holes appeared to be part of some small sand pits for some sand that was taken years ago. Another one was an actual cellar hole, but had a little picket fence and sign in front of it with the history. I didn't bring any metal detectors, I just scouted, and don't think I will go. I am not sure that I want to disturb that cellar hole, I can tell that the town is proud of it. I found two perfect looking ones on the lidar close by, I hope to stop there tomorrow.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some very interesting research and determination.
I got a feeling your efforts are going to turn up some old relics and coins. Looking forward to future posts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions