Hurricane irma treasure coast

habanerojefe

Greenie
Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, I'm driving down to Vero beach Saturday to prepare for some metal detecting on the public beaches as soon as it's possible. On the beach, I know to look for low points where stones and shells collect at low tide but I really don't know where to search beyond that. Near the water. Near the dunes. I know I can't search the water. Has anyone done this before who can help me find some treasure? I would really appreciate your knowledge. I'm staying with a friend just inland in a well built home but plan to hit the beach as soon as it's safe! Thank you.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up there a month ago and hunted every site even the long walk to sandy point. I found no 1715 related treasure. Didnt find to much at all. When hunting the wreck sites its feast or famine. It was hot and I saw only one other mdr the whole time I was there. Most beaches had some replenishment on them but it was all trucked in not pumped, so its thin and all put on the dune line and planted with sea oats. The beaches showed classic scallop erosion. The beaches are in a light summer erosion pattern with no major erosion events all summer. Need a storm with some long shore currents to rip some sand off. There were some nice cuts here and there and some of the scalloping was pretty pronounced. While I was there dan porter on the " sea reaper" found some gold coins off douglas beach. Hopefully you will have better luck. Happy hunting. Hell... I might see you there if I have to evacuate the keys !!

OP
OP
H

habanerojefe

Greenie
Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your response. im hoping Irma will churn up some good stuff.im driving down form D.C. Area. I just wish I had a better idea of where on the beach to look. I mean it makes sense to look near the surf but I'm really not familiar with the behavior of gold or silver being washed up on the beach. I hope someone does. The beach is a big area!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Good luck to you guys ! Hope you get some good md'ing beach erosion. The west coast is sickly placid calm for the longest time now.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be checking the Maryland and Delaware beaches if Irma passes to the east. If it lands on us, never mind.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if Irma may move the treasure fleet around, and what happens to all those people that have areas under contract.

There should be some interesting finds on the beaches.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would not go to Florida if it were guaranteed I'd find gold on the beach. Too dangerous.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not going, just wondering.
I doubt they will let people in that don't live there, now or after, unless they are rescue & recovery.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hopefully, all Floridian TH-ers are now contributing their TNet posts from another state. 'nuff said'.
Your 'dip sticks may not be touching any oil' if you chose to 'ride this one out'.
Reminds me of a past hurricane when some had a 'hurricane party' in a motel.The next day, nothing was left of the motel (and they can vote; scary).
Don......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it hits the east coast there is good chance it will kick up some spanish treasure.

I'm wondering if Irma may move the treasure fleet around, and what happens to all those people that have areas under contract.

There should be some interesting finds on the beaches.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The winds on the east side of the eye could stir it up some.

I was just curious what happens to all the area claims people have staked out in the water when a storm stirs things up & moves things around. It was there today and in someone else's space tomorrow.

The deeply buried wrecks will stay put.

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
I'm in Cape Coral and still mot sure if I'm leaving or not. I have several animals I'd have to take and no destination.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you decide to be AT THE BEACH in FLORIDA when the hurricane arrives, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY SEND MY YOUR FULL NAME, ADDRESS, DOB SO I CAN BUY LIFE INSURANCE ON YOU! I'll be the rich one. Got the message? This hurricane should not be messed with.

And I am referring to people who are deliberately going into harm's way. For our Floridian members, God be with you. Maybe Irma will wander off east into the Atlantic....I would be out of there so fast, I would already be somewhere in Canada by now. Just call me chicken if you please. Storms like this scare the snot out of me. I'm 100 miles inland and when Isabel came, had 7 downed trees, no power for 5 days and basement (mildly) flooded. I had a 12 volt emergency pump set up which saved the basement. I had it made for Y2K, but it came in handy.

It is going to DESTROY whatever it touches for miles inland, not including the tornado damage.

And HINT HINT HINT, for those not affected, please search your wallets to donate to a legitimate charity, either for Harvey or this one. I massacred pig-e-bank and will do so again for Irma.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonna text that to my daughter now.

Top Member Reactions