getting discouraged..

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think instead of a metal detector, I bought a trash detector.
On day one, I had great luck. I found some change and even a 1941 dime.
Since then, I've not found anything. I watch Youtube videos and see people getting target after target and getting amazing finds at parks and schools. All I find is gum wrappers and pull tabs. How realistic are these youtube videos? I'm just wondering if everyone is getting lucky except me. (probably in that department too, i'm sure)

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since then, I've not found anything. I watch Youtube videos and see people getting target after target and getting amazing finds at parks and schools. All I find is gum wrappers and pull tabs. How realistic are these youtube videos? I'm just wondering if everyone is getting lucky except me. (probably in that department too, i'm sure)

what you tube does not always show is the amount of trash dug. They usually only film the good stuff. You will dig trash, no way around it. Trash nearly always outnumbers the keepers

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes sometimes you hit stretches of junk then you find something really good and it keeps you going. In many ways like golf where you get that one great shot. What kind of detector do you have? Where are you detecting - park, play ground? Etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of detector do you have? That can help on eliminating some trash.
I do dig a lot of trash but as I learned my detector I got better and improved. You will as well but it does take some time.
I say a lot of the YouTube videos are fake but more are probably real. Some of these people spend a lot of time doing research and hunting old sites or houses. I have been hunting with an AT PRO for a little over 1 year and I've found 1 gold pendant at a park but really worked for it. I silver pendant at the same park.
I've found about 12 silver coins and 100's of Wheat's. 0 Indians. I silver war token and lots of 1800's relics like civil war buttons.
There are treasures there but remember that in those videos they only show the good finds and rarely show the bad finds. Many dig a ton of junk just to fill 1 video and my go dawn till dusk for several day to have 1 20 minute video. Most will talk about the curse of live digs because they are tricked more often than not. This is like sports, you will fail a lot but when you don't fail and succeed....how sweet it is

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Trash detector made me laugh. Oh so true.

YouTube is NOT good for the mind or spirit. People show you the slam dunks only, so you get the impression that slam dunks are the norm. They are not the norm!

Everyone digs lots of trash, especially, but not limited to: bottlecaps, pull rings, can slaw, nails and foil. You found a silver coin ('41 dime) on your first time out... that's killer. It took me about 4 months to find my first silver coin.

The real secret is to enjoy yourself, and your time outside detecting. I like the "finding" part too, but there is a lot more to it, than just finding. You have to learn to love the hunt, as much as the finds. It is a bit tough to do sometimes.

Another valuable lesson is: You can't find what is NOT there... location is key. You have to hunt places where treasure is located. I prefer the old house, or places where old houses used to be. The park and the school are (were) good, but most have been hunted relentlessly for decades, so they can be rather barren.

I am not getting lucky either, but every once in a while, I stumble across something good... AND, I have a lot of fun hunting.

Best of luck to you, and don't hesitate to reach out, if there is anything that I can do to assist.

Jul 11, 2017
LAKE CITY, FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am one that picks trash as all the others. I do 90% trash but when I leave that 90% is in the garbage. I have done parks, football parking places, basketball courts, baseball fields, old home sites, and old roads, find a couple things. To me, it is my relaxation from the stresses of the day, to just focusing on just the hunt and fresh air. a place that draws your mind away to refresh. A change always makes a difference, then that tone, your blood starts pumping and get excited with anticipation. I am just 3 months old in Metal Detecting. Just learn your metal detector. I have a AT Pro and pinpointer and finaly, It is starting to click. I am getting able to learn where to set everything each day. If you have a boy's clib or a girls club, try it. yesterday, I did the girls club, I came away with 3.00 in change, nothing old or interesting.I have started to tell the difference between the pennies, nickels,dimes and quarters, trinklet and trash. I am using the standard to learn the difference. Just have fun!!!!!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Jenni L. welcome to reality. As asked earlier in the thread what detector are you using and how many hours do you have on it? Experience is the best teacher, I am hoping that you are paying attention to the tones of the targets as you swing over them. the more you swing the coil, the more the chance that it will click with you. When I started, I wanted coins, so I discriminated everything except copper & silver. As time went by and I became more familiar with my machine I decreased my discrimination by notching nickels and zincs back in. Now here it is over 3 years later and I only disc out the lower third to half of the iron range. If detecting were so easy and treasure was in every plug, there wouldn't be so many used detectors for sale.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_0858.JPG IMG_0941.JPG

I could send more, but you get my drift! Keep your chin up and keep learning your machine. Happy Hunting!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Use the YouTube videos to learn the sounds of your detector and tid numbers in good as well as trashy targets. See what info the videos give you and then apply what you've learned at your hunting places.
Trash targets are great as they teach you what not to dig. Be careful though, as you're finding out, the not so good targets can sound and read like a keeper target.
If using the AT Pro, try Pro Zero mode instead of the standard mode as it will separate trash from good targets better.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

YouTube detecting is like Saturday Fishing Shows. One right after another. What you don't see are the hours and hours of nothing.

Here is an image of a "dig 'em all" visit at one of my regular sites. Usually an hour's worth. This spot is a park that has an annual summer fair. So I know folks are there regularly.

HPIM1393.JPG

That is perhaps the biggest key: you have to detect where the stuff is. Do some research and learn where people would have been reaching into their pockets for whatever reason. Picnics, fairs, concerts, carnivals, circus grounds, etc.

If there is nothing there no detector of any cost will help.

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what you tube does not always show is the amount of trash dug. They usually only film the good stuff. You will dig trash, no way around it. Trash nearly always outnumbers the keepers

i am starting to realize this. thank you

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YouTube detecting is like Saturday Fishing Shows. One right after another. What you don't see are the hours and hours of nothing.

Here is an image of a "dig 'em all" visit at one of my regular sites. Usually an hour's worth. This spot is a park that has an annual summer fair. So I know folks are there regularly.

View attachment 1491093

That is perhaps the biggest key: you have to detect where the stuff is. Do some research and learn where people would have been reaching into their pockets for whatever reason. Picnics, fairs, concerts, carnivals, circus grounds, etc.

If there is nothing there no detector of any cost will help.

wow. that is a lot of trash. Looks like a lot of coins too! Thanks for the advice. Im starting to see that the parks here are just all dug out.

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the YouTube videos to learn the sounds of your detector and tid numbers in good as well as trashy targets. See what info the videos give you and then apply what you've learned at your hunting places.
Trash targets are great as they teach you what not to dig. Be careful though, as you're finding out, the not so good targets can sound and read like a keeper target.
If using the AT Pro, try Pro Zero mode instead of the standard mode as it will separate trash from good targets better.
Good luck!

I've been digging at almost everything just to learn the tones and what they mean. I had no idea there were so many nails underground! lol
Thank you for your help!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped going to parks and schools for that reason, only trash for me, I am not normally lucky. I prefer old cellar holes and home sites now. Good luck, hard work will pay off!

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jenni L. welcome to reality. As asked earlier in the thread what detector are you using and how many hours do you have on it? Experience is the best teacher, I am hoping that you are paying attention to the tones of the targets as you swing over them. the more you swing the coil, the more the chance that it will click with you. When I started, I wanted coins, so I discriminated everything except copper & silver. As time went by and I became more familiar with my machine I decreased my discrimination by notching nickels and zincs back in. Now here it is over 3 years later and I only disc out the lower third to half of the iron range. If detecting were so easy and treasure was in every plug, there wouldn't be so many used detectors for sale.

Thank you so much for the tips. My birthday is next month and I am going to treat myself to an AT PRO. I've been getting by with a cheap-0 in the mean time. I've probably got about 10-15 hours under my belt of solid detecting. I'm really new to this. I'm enjoying the time out in the field, but haven't found anything since the first day. But, as I can see, it's not all like YouTube makes it out to be. Thanks so much for all your wisdom and advice!

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sometimes you hit stretches of junk then you find something really good and it keeps you going. In many ways like golf where you get that one great shot. What kind of detector do you have? Where are you detecting - park, play ground? Etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've mostly been going to the parks and schools. I think it's all been hunted out here. Time to hit the history books I think.

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped going to parks and schools for that reason, only trash for me, I am not normally lucky. I prefer old cellar holes and home sites now. Good luck, hard work will pay off!

Thank you so much!!!! I'm glad to hear i'm not the only one. I'm starting to wonder if they've just been so over hunted that there isn't much left around here at the parks or schools.

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am one that picks trash as all the others. I do 90% trash but when I leave that 90% is in the garbage. I have done parks, football parking places, basketball courts, baseball fields, old home sites, and old roads, find a couple things. To me, it is my relaxation from the stresses of the day, to just focusing on just the hunt and fresh air. a place that draws your mind away to refresh. A change always makes a difference, then that tone, your blood starts pumping and get excited with anticipation. I am just 3 months old in Metal Detecting. Just learn your metal detector. I have a AT Pro and pinpointer and finaly, It is starting to click. I am getting able to learn where to set everything each day. If you have a boy's clib or a girls club, try it. yesterday, I did the girls club, I came away with 3.00 in change, nothing old or interesting.I have started to tell the difference between the pennies, nickels,dimes and quarters, trinklet and trash. I am using the standard to learn the difference. Just have fun!!!!!

I never thought about the boys and girls club. There is one not too far from my house. I am enjoying the time out by myself. It's good to unwind and just focus on something else in life for a change. I tend to go very early or late because i'm not confident in hunting with others around. But i'll get there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions