Irma now a Cat 5...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the "native" Florida critters have a sense of what's coming and as all the TV weathermen advise, HUNKER DOWN!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the non-native ones are in for a surprise!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pat, ya'll better hit the road. They ordered a mandatory evacuation for us here in Broward county east of US 1 starting tomorrow. My brother is on the road now heading to my uncles house in St. Cloud. He said it's bumper to bumper. 3 hour trip has taken over 5 hours so far and still counting. From there they are heading to Ga. tomorrow.

Myself, I can't do anything until I refuel my truck because I burned out 3/4 of a tank since yesterday morning working. I refuse to sit in a gas line for hours though. 9 out of 10 stations are out of gas. People are sitting at empty stations waiting on fuel trucks to show up. It's ridiculous. I plan on searching around 3 am for fuel. If that don't work, I'll siphon it out of the wife's SUV, lol. Then I'll decide whether or not to leave tomorrow evening after I see the latest forecast track. It's gonna be a bottleneck heading north regardless.

Good luck out there everyone! Be safe!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pat, ya'll better hit the road. They ordered a mandatory evacuation for us here in Broward county east of US 1 starting tomorrow. My brother is on the road now heading to my uncles house in St. Cloud. He said it's bumper to bumper. 3 hour trip has taken over 5 hours so far and still counting. From there they are heading to Ga. tomorrow.

Myself, I can't do anything until I refuel my truck because I burned out 3/4 of a tank since yesterday morning working. I refuse to sit in a gas line for hours though. 9 out of 10 stations are out of gas. People are sitting at empty stations waiting on fuel trucks to show up. It's ridiculous. I plan on searching around 3 am for fuel. If that don't work, I'll siphon it out of the wife's SUV, lol. Then I'll decide whether or not to leave tomorrow evening after I see the latest forecast track. It's gonna be a bottleneck heading north regardless.

Your gas situation is exactly where ours was last week. Some stations are still flat out of gas - it sucks!

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May the Lord keep you safe. We'll keep everyone in our prayers.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Bottled water is becoming a highly sought item. The local Publix grocery 4 blocks from my house has had 3 deliveries today of bottled water, and were sold out on under 15 min.
I was told the Walmart on Silver Springs Blvd (Hwy40) put a limit on bottled water purchases and has hired rent-a-cops to enforce the purchase limit and to maintain order.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is get out now if you can. Mother nature always wins so no need to risk your life. Stay safe folks & God Speed.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottled water is becoming a highly sought item. The local Publix grocery 4 blocks from my house has had 3 deliveries today of bottled water, and were sold out on under 15 min.
I was told the Walmart on Silver Springs Blvd (Hwy40) put a limit on bottled water purchases and has hired rent-a-cops to enforce the purchase limit and to maintain order.

Have they turned off the taps or something? Why don't people just fill their containers/tubs/whatevers with tap water? That's what we did in the 80s when hurricanes approached. Only rich people bought bottled water back then and that was just for showing off at dinner parties.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 50 miles outside New Orleans. I will never stay for another hurricane. I will head to the best state to metal detect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude! You flipping crack me up!:laughing9: OK, hurricane heading my way. Contingency plan and number one priority. Head to the best state to metal detect! PRICELESS!:sign10:MAO!!!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Digs, I'm working as hard and fast as I can. Secured gas Tuesday, propane tanks stored, just got a few things in the screen room to secure, finish packing the car, cooler, the Goodbirds, just one last shutter to put down in the morning. Gotta remember to turn off the large propane tank and water at the main.

The Mr said to go 27, can do 441 if have to, Inglis there on 19 may be a destination for me, (GO AMVETS Hwy 40!), I can slide on up to Ga by 19, if I gotta......
I just can't seem to get everything done......arghhhh. I'll be outta here sometime tomorrow, too.
I never get all this stuff in my car, LOL.

Thanks for well wishes and prayers all, right back at ya! Stay safe all.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May God keep you all safe, we are praying for you!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude! You flipping crack me up!:laughing9: OK, hurricane heading my way. Contingency plan and number one priority. Head to the best state to metal detect! PRICELESS!:sign10:MAO!!!

I swear I told my wife we're where going to Boston! She said ok lol

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of the "native" Florida critters have a sense of what's coming and as all the TV weathermen advise, HUNKER DOWN!

As we say in the South HUNKER DOWN. We use to take shots every time they said it. When we use to stay. (Pre-Katrina)

Datawave

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm about 35mi east of you (Astor) and no water here either. I'm all gassed up tho and may head north when I get a better grip on the path of the storm. Taking the detectors of course.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Have they turned off the taps or something? Why don't people just fill their containers/tubs/whatevers with tap water? That's what we did in the 80s when hurricanes approached. Only rich people bought bottled water back then and that was just for showing off at dinner parties.
That's what we did in the 50's and on. Still do.
Filled empty 1 gal plastic milk containers with water and put them in the deep freeze, so if the electric is out, will have ice to keep refrigerated food cold, and then drinkable water. Bathtub filled for flushing the toilets, and the smoker and grilles are ready in case the need to cooked defrosted meat.
So far, the prediction of Irma when it reaches north central Florida, it will be a Cat 3, still lots of wind and rain.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think allot has to do with all the doohickeys they are adding to Water these days
to satisfy the Live forever crowd are making the tap water undesirable.
Personally I buy all my Drinking & coffee water from a roadside water dispenser well.
I just take 1 Gallon & half Gallon jugs & pay 25cents a gallon to fill my jugs.
Not sure how much different it is. but Mentally I feel safer.
I used to be able to walk behind my house about 10 Feet into the woods & fill jugs with
untouched untested water , but with all the extra rain lately
I don't think the Amish would stop & take a swig anymore. and the pipes installed in the mountainside 50-100 years ago along the roads here, all seem to have stopped running :dontknow: sabotage ? :dontknow: I suppose it would be easy to stop by them with a Pipe size Plug and hammer it in.
They used to be Steel or Lead Pipe. I believe the one out Back is Aluminum.

Now those that still exist are Plastic :(
image.jpg image_2701.jpg

of course they could boil most of he toxic chemicals out of the tap water & fill their jugs.
I still use tap water for cooking and baths

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread