Update to my "getting discouraged" thread...

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*UPDATE*
I made it out yesterday to another park. I scoured the entire play area to only find bottle caps and gum wrappers. I headed for a big beautiful tree over in the grass and ding-ding-ding... a whopping quarter!
And then you'll never guess what I found next?!?!?! A bright , black and orange SNAKE! NOOOOOO THANK YOU!!!!!! I ran like mad and I haven't been back since. I think I'll leave that park for the other detectors in town! :unhappysmiley:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good on ya for not killing it

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
next time take a pic before you run ( I like snakes)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, take a picture. I ran across a sidewinder rattler in the desert once, I jumped, it jumped. I walked around it, bent REAL CLOSE and got his picture. He didn't mind. Probably thought the big ugly monster was going to kill and eat him!

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, take a picture. I ran across a sidewinder rattler in the desert once, I jumped, it jumped. I walked around it, bent REAL CLOSE and got his picture. He didn't mind. Probably thought the big ugly monster was going to kill and eat him!

hahaha. I've lived up here for a few years. That was the first snake i've seen in my town. If i head out west, they have rattle snakes but i've yet to see one.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to quit after my first year - my second year I detected my own yard and was able to take my time and learn my machine
house was built in late 30s and had lots of goodies along with foil wrappers and soda caps and nails
I stuck with it - look at me now
just a sample of my finds
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums.html
if you enjoy it - try and stick with it
good luck

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
*UPDATE*
I made it out yesterday to another park. I scoured the entire play area to only find bottle caps and gum wrappers. I headed for a big beautiful tree over in the grass and ding-ding-ding... a whopping quarter!
And then you'll never guess what I found next?!?!?! A bright , black and orange SNAKE! NOOOOOO THANK YOU!!!!!! I ran like mad and I haven't been back since. I think I'll leave that park for the other detectors in town! :unhappysmiley:

Now you have proved there is nothing wrong with you or your machine. You just have to be where the loot is.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're doing fine.
Most of us didn't find piles of coins the first several times out detecting.
And the very important part, if we want to find goodies we have to get the coil over places people have been and lost those goodies.

Good job with the snake...i would have ran too.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for not killing the snake. Good karma for you. Be patient, your finds will come. Remember that most of the great finds you see posted on the site only come after hours, hours and hours of research and hunting. There is always a rare and lucky find, as in: "I was swinging for only ten minutes and found this great ______ "(fill in the blank). For the rest of us, our recoveries are hard earned.
HH
dts

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The more you swing the coil, the more you find. What keeps many of us going is just knowing that the next plug might be "THE PLUG" that contains a keeper. Finding a snake in the area you are hunting is cool. I was hunting an old home site that is now a part of the county metro parks. The snake I found was still sluggish due to the early morning temperature and I was elated to locate him before he located me. Most parks in my area will produce about $1.50 per hour.
Virgin sites have produced $6 to $8 per hour since I only dig quarter or higher signals for a few hunts before I begin to hunt for the smaller coin denominations. I have been lucky to find 2 of those sites that have produced over $500 in coins, mostly clad. After I cherry pick a high producing site for a few hunts I then grid it and dig all good targets. I do dig trash signals when I get to a new site so I know what I am dealing.

Glad to hear you are still on the hunt, good luck and happy hunting.

Below is a pic of all the clad I dug my 1st 8 months in the hobby.

20150111_151757.jpg

Last edited:

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice score on the quarter! Remember...when your hunting out in the wild you will run up on animals, mammals and reptiles, your in their domain. Good luck and be careful!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
How about a vid of your machine and how you set it up? Perhaps there is something not set properly. Right now, you are digging everything and that is great! You will learn your machine faster.

Learning what not to dig is MORE important than what to dig. It will save you time in the far future. For now, you have to work.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Were he like this one?

Elaphe_guttata_guttata_Okeetee_subad_female_A1_web.jpg

Completely harmless corn snake.

I think Washington is much like New York. The only dangerous snake you might come across is a rattlesnake, and the chances are very slim of ever seeing one. If you do - don't forget you have a four foot push pole (the detector) and can just keep the coil between you as a shield until you move past them and away. No worries, no harm to either of you, everybody wins.

Twice this summer I have come across these guys: fishing spiders.

fishing-spider_4.jpg

Although I know they are "relatively" harmless (no worse than a mishandled wasp) they do usually get my attention.

Last edited:

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Good job Charlie P, you scared her away with that spider LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread