Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a new machine? I had one ship with a bad coil once. Most likely there is a source of interference nearby. Take it outside somewhere else and try it. If it goes away, it's interference you can't do much about.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But if it's not interference it's probably a bad coil.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Approaching thunder storms can boggle detectors, as can power lines.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or buried power lines

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L
Jul 11, 2017
LAKE CITY, FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info. I believe that there are buried power lines and cables everywhere. It was an old plant in the 70's. This was the first time ever that it went crazy this bad. I did check the connections. if it happens again I will call metal detectors. please be safe if you are in the path of IRMA. The projected path which can change at any time has the eye coming through Columbia County, Fl Monday @ cat 2-3. Please take care and stay safe. If you are journeying, safe journey until you can return.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect a park that was built using trash furnace clean out as land fill.
Just finding a small "metal free" area the size of my coil so i can ground balance is a challenge.
The detector constantly chatters so i use tones mainly to distinguish targets.
I may have to put screened soil in a plastic bag & ground balance using that.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I am going with buried power lines. My ATP will not work at my house... due to underground utilities. Lot's of buzzing and false signals.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How high do you have the sensitivity setting? If high, back it off a little. Experiment with it. ╦╦Ç

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a site, My MD went crazy jumping all over. from 30-90, never settled down, I had to keep turning it off. the ground balance was around 50-65.i tried standard and pro. my batteries are new. any information would be greatly appreciated from a guy learning my AT PRO GARRETT. I am figuring a little every:dontknow:

If it is the same as Mine, when it happens , I can lay the detector down.
unplug the Headphones & still hear it jumping all over like things are dancing under the coil.

usually at one particular Spot,
But it did Expand or Follow me around on one particular occasion.

spot.jpg

Aliens Either above you, or under the Ground .
Black Ops :dontknow:

images.jpg def2a65a79e9f54744efd10f4476b20e.jpg BASES.jpg

At least that is What I blame when my Minelab Explorer does it.
Usually Turning the Detector off & back on again works.

When it Don't; Moving a few feet out of that particular area works.

on one occasion I actually had to Give up,
Pack my detector in the car & & move to another location all together,
after walking the entire Park trying to get away from it.

The next Park it ran smooth as a Babies Butt.

Definitely seems electrical.
Though there is no particular abundance of electrical gizmos surrounding the Ball Park. 90% of the Whole Valley is Open fields, Farms & Amish.
yet it gives me issues on occasion

Last edited:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget UNDERGROUND DOG FENCES!..Had a VERY frustrating experience one time...I fiddled and fidgeted with my machine for 45 minutes...new batteries, new battery holder...on/off, different settings...2 calls to Kellyco customer service..and finally the lady of the house comes outside, notices my disappointment and my cursing under my breath...asks me what's wrong. I tell her it like EMI but there's no wires or transformers near. Then she asks me if I'd like for her to turn off the electric dog fence.....ugh

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if Short Wave , U.H.F or V.H.F. radio interferes.

here there is a fire station a block away.

it doesn't quite explain the limit on a particular spot on most occasions,
but something curious

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot about dog fences.
So far its just my pinpointer that goes crazy from time to time.
I replaced the durcell battery with an energizer, which is what i normally use in it.
The pimpointer only falsed once after that. Haven't been out lately to see if it does it again or not.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot about dog fences.
So far its just my pinpointer that goes crazy from time to time.
I replaced the durcell battery with an energizer, which is what i normally use in it.
The pimpointer only falsed once after that. Haven't been out lately to see if it does it again or not.

every time my Garrett gives me problems it's the Rubber Cover over the on/off button.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WARNING!!!!! If you're having interference in a small area & you believe it to be underground electric. DO NOT dig near it! If the cable is faulting you can get zinged quite a ways away from the fault. I've seen two troublemen hand digging near transformers get literally blown out of the hole even though though one guy was almost 5' from the cable. The other guy (3' away from a faulted cable) got burned badly mostly from his clothes catching fire. If you can follow the interference across a yard not a problem. But if you get a spike along the line or just a small area. LEAVE IT ALONE! If you call the power company, they'll come check the area, after all they're concerned about our safety..... er ah...... Catching a major lawsuit. Please be safe!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget UNDERGROUND DOG FENCES!..Had a VERY frustrating experience one time...I fiddled and fidgeted with my machine for 45 minutes...new batteries, new battery holder...on/off, different settings...2 calls to Kellyco customer service..and finally the lady of the house comes outside, notices my disappointment and my cursing under my breath...asks me what's wrong. I tell her it like EMI but there's no wires or transformers near. Then she asks me if I'd like for her to turn off the electric dog fence.....ugh
A few years back I had the same problem with a VLF detector. It was driving me crazy! I found where a metal fence came out from under the grass. Problem solved! I also found a calf weaning collar there. Hmm! This caused me to get excited. I looked more and have since found two old foundations and (child's?) grave nearby. This particular meadow may contain more evidence of settlements! I'm looking, when my back permits. ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread