Ground Balancing

Trentonfrank

Sep 7, 2017
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping someone can explain in simple terms what ground balancing actually does? I sorta get it, but then I watch some YouTube videos or read a few articles and I get a little confused. If it matters, I use an AT Gold machine and I ground balance every time I go out detecting, but I would like someone to clarify the whole ground balancing thing. Thanks for your time!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ground balancing basically makes the soil (and the minerals in it) disappear. It means that your machine will not "see" the ground as one huge target. Skip to the 3:00 minute mark and see if this helps you!:occasion14:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Think of it like putting on Polaroid sunglasses when fishing. You can see into the water better.

A detector only compares changes in the relative conductivity of what enters the field around the coil (in spite of all the neat icons on the display). Ground balancing sets up the detector for an optimum "survey" of what the neutral conditions are so it better registers changes. All soil has metallic minerals present (remember - silicon and sodium are metals) and ground balancing neutralizes the background conditions.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Loved the video Terry. Thanx. Good answers as usual Charlie.

For any of you who, like me, grew up in the TR era (all metal TR, then TR disc.) the above explanations hit home even more. Because back then, the moment you lowered the coil to the ground, it would blare off or go silent. Evidencing that the machine was now picking up the soil (because VERY LITTLE SOIL on the earth doesn't have at least *some* trace elements of minerals). And then you'd have to "bring back" the threshold. Which, of course, drifted the moment you started to swing, or raised or lowered your coil over a divot in the ground, etc...

Boy have we come a long way :)

OP
OP
T

Trentonfrank

Sep 7, 2017
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot for the great info. Much appreciated!

OP
OP
T

Trentonfrank

Sep 7, 2017
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info. Thanks to everyone for your knowledge!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loved the video Terry. Thanx. Good answers as usual Charlie.

For any of you who, like me, grew up in the TR era (all metal TR, then TR disc.) the above explanations hit home even more. Because back then, the moment you lowered the coil to the ground, it would blare off or go silent. Evidencing that the machine was now picking up the soil (because VERY LITTLE SOIL on the earth doesn't have at least *some* trace elements of minerals). And then you'd have to "bring back" the threshold. Which, of course, drifted the moment you started to swing, or raised or lowered your coil over a divot in the ground, etc...

Boy have we come a long way :)

I HATE to use auto-balance here in the Mother Lode. Gold targets can null out in a "hot rock field". I use, and trust, the GB2. I have tested this effect using my Whites GMT and my GB2 on gold targets in a hot rock field. Does the AT Gold have both auto and manual balance? Hmm. ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions