Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree23Likes
  • 3 Post By Trentonfrank
  • 5 Post By Terry Soloman
  • 7 Post By Charlie P. (NY)
  • 5 Post By Tom_in_CA
  • 1 Post By Trentonfrank
  • 2 Post By Trentonfrank

Thread: Ground Balancing

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2017
    Maryland
    Garrett AT Gold
    75 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Ground Balancing

I'm hoping someone can explain in simple terms what ground balancing actually does? I sorta get it, but then I watch some YouTube videos or read a few articles and I get a little confused. If it matters, I use an AT Gold machine and I ground balance every time I go out detecting, but I would like someone to clarify the whole ground balancing thing. Thanks for your time!
    alabama11, roy2bears and Mzjavert like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Make America Great Again!

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Tesoro Cult Member & Overlord - Mojave; Vaquero; Lobo Super Traq; Tejon; Sand Shark - Minelab GPZ 7000
    14203 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ground balancing basically makes the soil (and the minerals in it) disappear. It means that your machine will not "see" the ground as one huge target. Skip to the 3:00 minute mark and see if this helps you!

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    7454 times
    Metal Detecting
    Think of it like putting on Polaroid sunglasses when fishing. You can see into the water better.

A detector only compares changes in the relative conductivity of what enters the field around the coil (in spite of all the neat icons on the display). Ground balancing sets up the detector for an optimum "survey" of what the neutral conditions are so it better registers changes. All soil has metallic minerals present (remember - silicon and sodium are metals) and ground balancing neutralizes the background conditions.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    7078 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Loved the video Terry. Thanx. Good answers as usual Charlie.

For any of you who, like me, grew up in the TR era (all metal TR, then TR disc.) the above explanations hit home even more. Because back then, the moment you lowered the coil to the ground, it would blare off or go silent. Evidencing that the machine was now picking up the soil (because VERY LITTLE SOIL on the earth doesn't have at least *some* trace elements of minerals). And then you'd have to "bring back" the threshold. Which, of course, drifted the moment you started to swing, or raised or lowered your coil over a divot in the ground, etc...

Boy have we come a long way
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Sep 2017
    Maryland
    Garrett AT Gold
    75 times
    Thanks a lot for the great info. Much appreciated!
    Terry Soloman likes this.

us
    Sep 2017
    Maryland
    Garrett AT Gold
    75 times
    Great info. Thanks to everyone for your knowledge!
    Terry Soloman and TerryC like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    Southern California, outside of San Diego
    1199 times
    ....When I hear the sqeek of a dry erase marker , my mind goes blank . . ...
    "GIVE ME ANALOG , OR GIVE ME DEATH"

... Walks on flaming Pop tarts ...

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Murphys, CA
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Garrett Pinpointer
    3542 times
    Coin shooting, Nugget shooting, Relic hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Loved the video Terry. Thanx. Good answers as usual Charlie.

For any of you who, like me, grew up in the TR era (all metal TR, then TR disc.) the above explanations hit home even more. Because back then, the moment you lowered the coil to the ground, it would blare off or go silent. Evidencing that the machine was now picking up the soil (because VERY LITTLE SOIL on the earth doesn't have at least *some* trace elements of minerals). And then you'd have to "bring back" the threshold. Which, of course, drifted the moment you started to swing, or raised or lowered your coil over a divot in the ground, etc...

Boy have we come a long way
    I HATE to use auto-balance here in the Mother Lode. Gold targets can null out in a "hot rock field". I use, and trust, the GB2. I have tested this effect using my Whites GMT and my GB2 on gold targets in a hot rock field. Does the AT Gold have both auto and manual balance? Hmm. ╦╦
    Be not concerned with what dirt your enemy has on you. Be concerned with where they got it from.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links