springs

Jul 11, 2017
LAKE CITY, FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This question has been answered many times. I am new to metal detecting in Columbia County, Fl. Is it lawful to metal detect at springs such as Rum Island and others. I believe that it is ok to do in state parks, or is it? There is so much disinformation available on metal detecting in Florida. So I am inquiring from the reliable resources. Thanks in advance.:help:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
This question has been answered many times. I am new to metal detecting in Columbia County, Fl. Is it lawful to metal detect at springs such as Rum Island and others. I believe that it is ok to do in state parks, or is it? There is so much disinformation available on metal detecting in Florida. So I am inquiring from the reliable resources. Thanks in advance.:help:

Rum Island Springs is a county park. Not a state park. I just went to their website, and tried variations in their word search box of "metal" or "detector" or "detecting", etc.... I see no prohibitions. And then I tested the word search function just to make sure it's not lame. By typing in "dog" and "leash", for example, and ... yes ... rules regarding dogs and leash come up. Hence yes, the search function searches adequately . Thus if it's silent on the subject, then presto, it's not prohibited.

And you say "... and others". It would depend on city, county, state, federal, or private. So you'd need to specify which "spring" you are referring to. But in each case, all you need to do is look up said rules for yourself (rather than asking a bored pencil pusher and risking a "safe" answer). Personally, I think even that is over-thinking it. I just hit any park I come to, unless 1) I see a sign to the contrary, or 2) it's an obvious historic monument with bored archies standing about.

As for the state park part of your question: From all that I've read from FL folk, the inland land (terra firma) parks are a no-go. But the state park beaches are fair game.

Of course avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. But beyond that, don't over think it. It is very rare for any county or city to have ever dreamt up a rule specifically addressing md'ing. You don't need an "express allowance" (eg.: a law saying "metal detecting allowed here"). Silent on the subject is adequate. Of course, for nice manicured turf, be aware that a man with a detector might have ... uh ... "connotations" (that you might be about to leave a hole). So pick low traffic times so as not to be a nuisance or attract gripers.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
And be aware that the link Jeff gives is just for state parks. Not for other types land (city, county, fed, private, etc....)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rum Island Springs is a county park. Not a state park. I just went to their website, and tried variations in their word search box of "metal" or "detector" or "detecting", etc.... I see no prohibitions. And then I tested the word search function just to make sure it's not lame. By typing in "dog" and "leash", for example, and ... yes ... rules regarding dogs and leash come up. Hence yes, the search function searches adequately . Thus if it's silent on the subject, then presto, it's not prohibited.

And you say "... and others". It would depend on city, county, state, federal, or private. So you'd need to specify which "spring" you are referring to. But in each case, all you need to do is look up said rules for yourself (rather than asking a bored pencil pusher and risking a "safe" answer). Personally, I think even that is over-thinking it. I just hit any park I come to, unless 1) I see a sign to the contrary, or 2) it's an obvious historic monument with bored archies standing about.

As for the state park part of your question: From all that I've read from FL folk, the inland land (terra firma) parks are a no-go. But the state park beaches are fair game.

Of course avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. But beyond that, don't over think it. It is very rare for any county or city to have ever dreamt up a rule specifically addressing md'ing. You don't need an "express allowance" (eg.: a law saying "metal detecting allowed here"). Silent on the subject is adequate. Of course, for nice manicured turf, be aware that a man with a detector might have ... uh ... "connotations" (that you might be about to leave a hole). So pick low traffic times so as not to be a nuisance or attract gripers.

It has been my belief (I lived in FL for years... detecting) That the salt beaches are detectable up to the high tide line back down to and into the water. BEWARE! The Mel Fisher bunch has sole rights to some of the waters around FL.... and they will prosecute. ╦╦Ç

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...The Mel Fisher bunch has sole rights to some of the waters around FL.... and they will prosecute. ╦╦Ç

Do you know, or have heard of anyone, who was "prosecuted" ? My hunch is, if you have an example: It's someone who couldn't take a warning or scram. Or someone being obnoxious in some way. If I'm wrong, and they are "cuffing and stuffing", would love to see any link or example.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you know, or have heard of anyone, who was "prosecuted" ? My hunch is, if you have an example: It's someone who couldn't take a warning or scram. Or someone being obnoxious in some way. If I'm wrong, and they are "cuffing and stuffing", would love to see any link or example.
Hey Tom, I cannot remember a specific example. My info comes from the attendants down at the museum (McLarty Treasure museum) at Sebastian Inlet, where one of the Fisher groups is active. I believe Mel started the museum to show off treasure recovered. I also saw a documentary that pretty much said the same thing. No personal anecdotes to add. TODAY IS THE DAY! Fisher says (said) this to his crew every day. ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread