Does anyone else do this?

Shorty Buckshot

Aug 19, 2012
Northeast Indiana
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an Ace 250 exclusively....The OEM 6x9 coil is fine but I much prefer the 4" sniper coil.....I have come to the point where the sniper is all I use and rarely take the 6x9 coil along anymore....I use the sniper in parks, tot lots, yards everywhere....I know it takes a lot longer to search pretty much anyplace with the smaller coil but I like it so much better that the larger one and I can't really tell you why, I just do....Does anyone else use a sniper coil only??? Thanks for looking....Shorty

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me?
Not a sniper coil all the time but in parks / trashy areas I like it that said , imo it does help to learn how yr larger coils work in trashy areas., as 'in most' cases smaller coils give up a little depth.

Found a new site a week ago , with a-lot of iron , so yesterday I put on the small hockey puck coil (it's a Wooded area , on a slope) 2 hours with the sniper I got a Fired Civil war minnie , 2 'Quater-US' size brass buckles 1 being nicely decorated.

It/I still was fooled by small sheet iron & larger Cast iron Frying pan ? & other Round iron.
Also my patience was not at 100%.
Put the full size coil back on the G2+ , & found some Keeper targets near or beside where I found things with the sniper.

Really I depends on the site , earlier in the Summer I was addicted to the 5 inch coil , was hitting yards & parks, when I put the big coil back on ..I felt Strange.. used it in the Woods for a couple months & it felt strange when I put the small 5" on yesterday.

I know a few who stick with the smaller coil , I just need to 'gear down ' & get used to it.

So in 'shorter' small coil trashy homesites , Parks, curb strips, & bigger in the Woods or Farm fields.
The setting or set-up yr used to & know the most will usually make you happy.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have evolved form bigger is better to smaller is better when it comes to coils. My main coil is the nel sharpshooter, but the 5"DD is always available if needed.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the 8.5 x 11 DD on my 250. I rarely use the stock coil except when near power lines occasionally. The deeper depth of the thin "blade" search "cone" of the DD took some getting used to, but it is great at separating a good signal near iron. It also gives more information in the partial tones than the stock coil. I have a couple of sites that I would like to give a sniper coil a shot at some day. Good luck!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently running my Makro Racer 2 machine and have basically used two coils all season. My Makro RC 26 5.5 x 9 and my Nel Snake coil which is maybe 4 x 6 inches. I love them both as they are "solid" coils with no bracing so they work well in grass and stubble. I use the larger coil for field hunting or where there is less iron and other trash present. The Nel Snake coil has become perhaps my favorite coil as it separates extremely well in trash and has a very respectable depth for a smaller coil. Dug a nine inch nickel with it and have recovered many nice finds with it. Also being so light I can swing all day and night and not get fatigued. Love my little Sniper Nel Snake coil!:love4:

Wounded Indian Lowell Park 004.JPG 003.JPG

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the stock coil on my 250. I also have the (11 inch?) larger coil for "big area" relic hunting. My Impulse 8 (ancient) is for beach/salt water hunting and The GB2 for gold. I have all my bases covered. ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread